• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Thought it may be of interest for you people;
you can get free hosting on Oracle, Amazon and Google

Oracle has a fantastic deal of 2x 480mbit internet, 50gb storage, 1 core cpu, 1gb ram for free.
I forgot the bandwidth cap but it wasnt that bad.
I recommend you checking it out. I've only tried Oracles "Always free" pack, but it's good.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 30, 2020, 04:12 AM
Oracle has a fantastic deal of 2x 480mbit internet, 50gb storage, 1 core cpu, 1gb ram for free.

I assume you're referring to hosting a web site. If so I don't understand something. Bandwidth of 480mbps and 50GB storage makes sense. What about this business of 1 core cpu and 1gb of ram? I was under the impression that organizations that host web sites have all kinds of servers in air-conditioned rooms to keep them cool. Please explain.

If they're doing this for free then how do they make money? Do they force you to put ads on your site or what?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on June 02, 2020, 05:18 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 30, 2020, 04:12 AM

I assume you're referring to hosting a web site. If so I don't understand something. Bandwidth of 480mbps and 50GB storage makes sense. What about this business of 1 core cpu and 1gb of ram? I was under the impression that organizations that host web sites have all kinds of servers in air-conditioned rooms to keep them cool. Please explain.

If they're doing this for free then how do they make money? Do they force you to put ads on your site or what?

Nope, they earn the money by the 'advertisement' that you will good-mouth them and people learn how to use their cloud service, which means people wont want to re-learn the things on google etc :) Oracle is a massive company who made Java if i remember correctly. They also had Oracle Database which we use at work. They arent really a 'broke' company. A net income increase of $11.08 billion dollars last year according to wikipedia. Probably just a penny in the bank for them
These are generally "older" servers with lets say, 12 cores total, and then the server hosts 12 virtual machines, and you get one of those virtual machines.
It's really cool.
You can host anything, like games, homepages, whatever you can install on a laptop with 1gb ram, 1core cpu and command line interface only.

You connect through SSH to Linux based servers, and RDP to windows based ones. However windows is not free as it requires license. And, i'd not recommend it due to how resource heavy it is compared to lighter weight linux boxes.

This offer of free hosting could be made to host your very own VPN, with your very own IP that you can port forward.
Great if you're not able to port fortward and want to share some files over FTP as a server or something.

scarface

The forum is pretty calm. Sometimes, I see some former members, but new messages are scarce. But I know shadow.97 and Vasudev are still hanging around here
At the moment, I have no new repack to offer, but there will be Amnesia: Rebirth pretty soon. And in 2 weeks, there will be new versions of windows 10 and windows 7.
Note that I'm going to present another recipe tonight.
As far as the stock markets are concerned, I think the US equity market is too expensive. The firms that we call "Gafam" have price earning ratios above 30. Amazon PER is reaching 138 ! And Tesla stock price is stratospheric. In the current context, I think there is going to be a correction, and I advise you to be cautious.

scarface

A few days ago, I stumbled upon something a bit weird in a shop and I bought it.
Look at the photo below to see what I'm talking about.

Maybe you don't know what it is. I imagine that shadow.97 and usman have already seen such things in Super Mario Bros: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2oAwTAzmnU

What you see here is a Dionaea, also known as the Venus flytrap.
This is a carnivorous plant native to subtropical wetlands on the East Coast of the United States. It catches its preyâ€"essentially insects and arachnidsâ€"with a trapping structure formed by the terminal portion of each of the plant's leaves, which is triggered by tiny hairs.
Maybe it will catch some flies in my kitchen.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on August 10, 2020, 08:22 PM
A few days ago, I stumbled upon something a bit weird in a shop and I bought it.
Look at the photo below to see what I'm talking about.

Maybe you don't know what it is. I imagine that shadow.97 and usman have already seen such things in Super Mario Bros: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2oAwTAzmnU

What you see here is a Dionaea, also known as the Venus flytrap.
This is a carnivorous plant native to subtropical wetlands on the East Coast of the United States. It catches its preyâ€"essentially insects and arachnidsâ€"with a trapping structure formed by the terminal portion of each of the plant's leaves, which is triggered by tiny hairs.
Maybe it will catch some flies in my kitchen.

Not sure if you knew this. But I love plants, and gardening.
I've had two venus traps during my childhood. Quite facinating to trick them into thinking they caught something.

Currently I only have one plant. A succulent, not even sure what kind. I used to have hundreds of plants, mostly sugar snaps, wild strawberries, sun flowers, tomato and peppers.
Planting edible things that you see the full progression from, from seed to food on your table is very rewarding. And it is so much better taste than the store bought.

humbert

Scarface/Shadow: How do you guys feed the Venus Flytraps? Are summers in Paris and Växjö infested with flies like both Miami and San Antonio? Are there other insects around? Also, how often do the flytraps have to be fed?

Shadow: Where did you put your hundreds of plants you used to have? In the pictures and videos you posted about your home, I didn't see a garden or anything similar.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on August 13, 2020, 05:29 AM
Scarface/Shadow: How do you guys feed the Venus Flytraps? Are summers in Paris and Växjö infested with flies like both Miami and San Antonio? Are there other insects around? Also, how often do the flytraps have to be fed?

Shadow: Where did you put your hundreds of plants you used to have? In the pictures and videos you posted about your home, I didn't see a garden or anything similar.

Very bad picture. But here's a drawing of the area I had available. Most of it is grass, and some of it is indoors.
Most plants really don't take much space at all. In an area of 2x1m, we could have almost 20 plants, like sugar snaps.
On that garden(Pictured) there is 4 specific areas just for plants in the corners of the plot.
Also a lot of them were indoors on window sills

Shadow.97

Short rant:
Been dating a girl for a few months now. Turns out she is only interested in sex and nothing more.
Tonight I'll be staring blankly at the screen, wondering how on earth we could have missunderstood eachother that badly.

I have absolutely 0 interest in DTF, ONS, or FWB.
(Down to ****, one night stand, or friends with benefits).

Like. We've gone super slow, and nothing sexual at all, and now all she wants is sex. I'm failing to see where I've miss-interpreted her signals.

I should likely just have asked straight out.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 14, 2020, 04:52 AM
Been dating a girl for a few months now. Turns out she is only interested in sex and nothing more.
Tonight I'll be staring blankly at the screen, wondering how on earth we could have missunderstood eachother that badly.

I can't believe how lucky you are! Every time I've been able to take a woman to bed they immediately want a long-term relationship. I've never been in a situation such as this where I don't have to worry about being pressured to be her next husband. This is, of course, with the exception of paid sex workers.

I'm fully aware that you and I don't think alike when it comes to this. May I ask: In your case is sex always linked to the desire for a long term relationship, or was this particular woman in some way exceptional? I realize this is highly personal, so if you'd rather keep it private I fully respect your choice.