• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Secure instant messenger required

Started by Daniil, October 17, 2016, 02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

Hello, comrades!

I need some kind of secure instant messenger. Something like ICQ or an analog of private chat in Facebook, but working through SSL and without public server. Can you recommend me examples of such software?

Key requirements is:
-no public servers (P2P protocols is preferred)
-SSL encrypting of messages (or any other traffic security)
-must have an Android client (or works through smartphone well)
-must be simple as Facebook chat (i.e., girl-friendly)

(In Russia since July 2016 a new law came to effect. It is so called "Yarovaya Law", may be you hear about it from news. Officially this is for counter-terrorism, but in fact it requires for all telecommunication providers to store user data and sends it for perlustration to ФСÐ' - Federal Security Bureau, previously known as KGB. Ofcourse they can't perlustrate all traffic - it is technically impossible - but the main problem is social networks, which can be perlustrate. I am very often using a VKontakte social network - russian Facebook analog - for chatting with my friends and my girlfriend. So, I don't like that some stupid guy in uniform reads my private messages to my girl or messages from my friends. That's why I need this software.)

Vasudev

I googled your query and got some results. Check out this post by Kaspersky, it might help you. https://blog.kaspersky.com/nine-secure-messengers/6684/
Hope this helps.  Telegram app can be set to self destruct msgs after use.

Shadow.97

Quote from: Daniil on October 17, 2016, 02:01 PM
Hello, comrades!

I need some kind of secure instant messenger. Something like ICQ or an analog of private chat in Facebook, but working through SSL and without public server. Can you recommend me examples of such software?

Key requirements is:
-no public servers (P2P protocols is preferred)
-SSL encrypting of messages (or any other traffic security)
-must have an Android client (or works through smartphone well)
-must be simple as Facebook chat (i.e., girl-friendly)

(In Russia since July 2016 a new law came to effect. It is so called "Yarovaya Law", may be you hear about it from news. Officially this is for counter-terrorism, but in fact it requires for all telecommunication providers to store user data and sends it for perlustration to ФСÐ' - Federal Security Bureau, previously known as KGB. Ofcourse they can't perlustrate all traffic - it is technically impossible - but the main problem is social networks, which can be perlustrate. I am very often using a VKontakte social network - russian Facebook analog - for chatting with my friends and my girlfriend. So, I don't like that some stupid guy in uniform reads my private messages to my girl or messages from my friends. That's why I need this software.)
I instantly thought of is Signal, It is open source, and "even the developer cant see what you're texting".
Apparently, Edward Snowden uses it. (Quick google told me that when i googled its security)

humbert

There are probably some alternatives on the Tor network. I haven't investigated it because I hardly ever talk to anyone :)

Sometimes I think Putin is more of a Stalinist than Stalin himself.

Vasudev

My options are limited on windows mobile. Yeah, use whatever Snowden recommends. For OS, Tails 2.0.

Daniil

Thank you, comrades.

Signal app, proposed by Shadow, looks like the best variant to try.
I myself thought about solution like "Tor+chat engine with private rooms on remote (non-russian) server", or some software like Xabber, working through secured XMPP protocol.
Thanks again, I'll go and test all this solutions. :)

Humbert, Putin isn't a Stalinist (if he'd be a Stalinist, situation would be much better!). He is even not a dictator. He is just a leader of a big thief gang, trying to hold the power over country in his hands.

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on October 19, 2016, 08:32 AM
Humbert, Putin isn't a Stalinist (if he'd be a Stalinist, situation would be much better!). He is even not a dictator. He is just a leader of a big thief gang, trying to hold the power over country in his hands.

Anyone who is trying to hold on to power by any means is a dictator. The only reason Putin doesn't act like Stalin did is because this is not the 1930's -- massive purges, collectivization and famines are simply not possible today.

Shadow.97

Thank you, comrades.

I myself thought about solution like "Tor+chat engine with private rooms on remote (non-russian) server", or some software like Xabber, working through secured XMPP protocol.

I'd also suggest Telegram. This app is used by alot of German friends of mine.
The reason alot of germans use it is because of the spying scandal. People got paranoid, and created secure alternatives that could not be spied upon as easily.
Telegram is also encrypted, and open source.
I wasnt aware that this was the reason Telegram was used, but I found it out lately and since.. I've started using it alot more.
I noticed a fun little thing on skype. I was hosting a webserver and sent the IP to a friend, and noticed that 2 IP's had entered the link. Even if I had a robots text disallowing all robots, skype got a picture and placed it on "display" for the link. I do not find that comforting. However, there's nothing to do about it.

Vasudev

Quote from: Shadow.97 on October 26, 2016, 06:52 AM
Thank you, comrades.

I'd also suggest Telegram. This app is used by alot of German friends of mine.
The reason alot of germans use it is because of the spying scandal. People got paranoid, and created secure alternatives that could not be spied upon as easily.
Telegram is also encrypted, and open source.
I wasnt aware that this was the reason Telegram was used, but I found it out lately and since.. I've started using it alot more.
I noticed a fun little thing on skype. I was hosting a webserver and sent the IP to a friend, and noticed that 2 IP's had entered the link. Even if I had a robots text disallowing all robots, skype got a picture and placed it on "display" for the link. I do not find that comforting. However, there's nothing to do about it.
Almost, none of my friends use Telegram. Hike messenger is a good alternative to WhatsApp because it consumes less battery and has lot of stickers.
@shadow97: Did you do a repaste of AW 15? It seems everyone recommends them @NBR. A tip to fix touchpad stutters on AW is to download latest Input driver made for 15 R3 and majority of issues like high CPU  util. by live tray icon. BTW, Dell/Compal EC sensor has major issue.

humbert

Don't Whatsapp and Viber use encryption? Is it any good for what Daniil is looking for?