• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Firefox Quantum and the future

Started by humbert, October 27, 2017, 05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 02, 2017, 03:39 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 01, 2017, 08:53 AM
Still on FF56 and is definitely faster than stock FF56. I would say FF57 is faster by 30-40%. There is one or two add-on's like DTA and Translate This! that doesn't have replacement.

Have the developers of these addons already officially announced there will be no rewrite? If not just keep an eye out. HTTP Everywhere [for example] was updated today, more will come.

Are you planning to disable automatic updates on FF56 so it won't upgrade you automatically on the 14th?
I grabbed HTTPS everywhere web ext couple of days ago. DTA will not be re-written in Web extension.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 02, 2017, 08:12 AM
I grabbed HTTPS everywhere web ext couple of days ago. DTA will not be re-written in Web extension.

I hope this doesn't mean you're going to stay on FF56 forever and ever. I'm sure there are other download managers on there, I just haven't checked any out just yet. I'm under the impression that, as one developer said, his extension was heavily dependent on how the old Firefox worked and would be difficult to rewrite.

I don't care how much people complain. The update to FF57 and it's new engine was badly needed. Newer, better addons will be written, you'll see,

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 04, 2017, 02:36 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 02, 2017, 08:12 AM

I hope this doesn't mean you're going to stay on FF56 forever and ever. I'm sure there are other download managers on there, I just haven't checked any out just yet. I'm under the impression that, as one developer said, his extension was heavily dependent on how the old Firefox worked and would be difficult to rewrite.

I don't care how much people complain. The update to FF57 and it's new engine was badly needed. Newer, better addons will be written, you'll see,
Yeah I know I haven't felt FF being this fast, its really fast. I might download jdownloader or similar on linux or Windows.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 04, 2017, 09:36 AM
Yeah I know I haven't felt FF being this fast, its really fast. I might download jdownloader or similar on linux or Windows.

Exactly, it's fast and very stable - and this is just a beta. It's just a question of searching for alternative addons until the ones we like are rewritten or replace.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 05, 2017, 02:55 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 04, 2017, 09:36 AM

Exactly, it's fast and very stable - and this is just a beta. It's just a question of searching for alternative addons until the ones we like are rewritten or replace.
I was saying about FF56 though. Sorry, I eat some sentences sometimes or get spaced out times. Sorry.
I know FF57 Stable version will be 50% faster than my tweaked FF56 Web Ext and Stylo mode turned on.

Vasudev

@humbert:
I got alternative for Translate this! its S3. Translate.
As an alternative for DTA, I tried Chrome store foxified addon that lets us use extensions from Edge, Opera and Chrome. I installed Chrono download manager from chrome store signed it using developer credentials(register at addons.mozilla.org) but the text are garbled on Chrono download manager. At least Chrome extensions works on FF.
Everybody is switching from Chrome to FF57 beta and FF68 alpha.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 07, 2017, 07:33 PM
As an alternative for DTA, I tried Chrome store foxified addon that lets us use extensions from Edge, Opera and Chrome. I installed Chrono download manager from chrome store signed it using developer credentials(register at addons.mozilla.org) but the text are garbled on Chrono download manager. At least Chrome extensions works on FF.

You mentioned Chrome store foxified a while ago. When I checked it said "incompatible with Firefox 57". Now I see it's been rewritten. I'm confused. One of the 2 Chrome addons I tried said "parsing" and just hung there. The other prompts for a "signature" and refuses to install unsigned. Clicking the "signature" link simply takes you to the Firefox addons page. Logging in doesn't do anything. Please help: how exactly do you use this addon?

I assume you mean FF58 alpha. Do you have an idea as to why they're doing this? Seems like they're getting a little ahead of themselves, unless they're testers or something.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 08, 2017, 04:28 AM

You mentioned Chrome store foxified a while ago. When I checked it said "incompatible with Firefox 57". Now I see it's been rewritten. I'm confused. One of the 2 Chrome addons I tried said "parsing" and just hung there. The other prompts for a "signature" and refuses to install unsigned. Clicking the "signature" link simply takes you to the Firefox addons page. Logging in doesn't do anything. Please help: how exactly do you use this addon?

I assume you mean FF58 alpha. Do you have an idea as to why they're doing this? Seems like they're getting a little ahead of themselves, unless they're testers or something.
Just register at addons.mozilla.org and you will gain developer status and install Chrono or any extension chrome store and chrome store foxified will sign using the API key and submit it for review to Mozilla and after 10 seconds you have that installed in your FF profile.
It should be FF58. This version is developer edition.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 08, 2017, 08:11 AM
Just register at addons.mozilla.org and you will gain developer status and install Chrono or any extension chrome store and chrome store foxified will sign using the API key and submit it for review to Mozilla and after 10 seconds you have that installed in your FF profile.

This is a very problematic extension. I kept trying to get an "API Key" to no avail, until I finally realized you can't use private browsing. When I disabled that then it said the addon had been installed, but when I went to about:addons, it was nowhere to be found. I tried a few more, many just said "parsing" and just hung there. I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did.

This extension is simply a CRK to XPI file converter. Why does it need "API Keys" (whatever that is)? I detest an any addon that requires you to disable private browsing. Although Mozilla Pocket isn't exactly an addon, it's a perfect example. It requires both history AND that you don't delete cookies. This is the ideal situation for Mozilla to track you.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 09, 2017, 04:32 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 08, 2017, 08:11 AM

This is a very problematic extension. I kept trying to get an "API Key" to no avail, until I finally realized you can't use private browsing. When I disabled that then it said the addon had been installed, but when I went to about:addons, it was nowhere to be found. I tried a few more, many just said "parsing" and just hung there. I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did.

This extension is simply a CRK to XPI file converter. Why does it need "API Keys" (whatever that is)? I detest an any addon that requires you to disable private browsing. Although Mozilla Pocket isn't exactly an addon, it's a perfect example. It requires both history AND that you don't delete cookies. This is the ideal situation for Mozilla to track you.
You need to have two tabs open for AMO logged in so that Chrome store foxified can get api key and another tab is for Chrome store foxified. Can you give me a screenshot using FF screenshot or similar.
BTW, you can try FF58 Quantum edition developer alpha