• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 11, 2021, 05:51 AM
Yes, I went to that site and noticed that there were actually 2 ways to disable TPM. Notice that the date on that article is June 21, 3 days before the official release. Clearly Micro$oft is backpedaling on all this, otherwise it would be much harder to disable TPM if not impossible.

I installed Scarface's Win11 as a VM with VirtualBox. It installed in less than 5 minutes without a hitch, which is unprecedented. I noticed that the Win11 VM runs faster and smoother than Win10. If indeed this new OS requires a newer and stronger CPU to run, then how is it that runs faster than its predecessor on a virtual machine where performance is always less than on a host computer? I'm convinced these restrictions are artificially imposed to get everybody to upgrade and will eventually be disabled the same way TPM was.

As is always the case, the amount of unnecessary, pre-loaded garbage is monumental. You have to put Hibit Uninstaller and delete, delete, delete, delete! Even then you can't get it all. There are garbage programs that don't even appear in Control Panel's "Programs and Features" page. I'd guess you have to go into their folders and look for an uninstaller. If none is there then delete the directory, look in the Appdata folder for more stuff, and clean the registry. What is most irritating is that it's not enough the Micro$oft pre-loads this trash, they actually want you to use it!

I'm sure you all agree that it's way too early to move to Win11. Let's let developers find ways to manage this thing and get it to work the way is should.
Besides the windowsapps in Programfiles, I'm afraid "the amount of unnecessary, pre-loaded garbage" you're talking about are the programs I added.
What's more your desperate tone in the following sentence: "You have to put Hibit Uninstaller and delete, delete, delete, delete! Even then you can't get it all. There are garbage programs that don't even appear in Control Panel's "Programs and Features" page" is confirming my fears.
Some of them are in "c:/^programs" and I created the installers myself. Those installers are pretty simple and there is no uninstaller indeed (you can delete the folders directly in "programs").

But many of these programs can be needed. Otherwise they wouldn't be there. Let's talk about the game Belatout, which is not the most necessary of them.
Now Let's imagine one party in the backyard of humbert's house. humbert has welcomed Maher, shadow.97, vasudev and scarface. In San Antonio the weather is hot and we are watching the final of Wimbledon. All the proper items, finger food, biscuits and other little delicacies are on the table for an aperitif. After a pastis tomate, Maher and shadow .97 are ready to talk about their new hardware, while Vasudev preferred a Perroquet, made of Pastis with mint syrup. Served neat pastis has 45% alcohol by volume, and most drinkers add 4 parts of cool water.
We are now discussing the "pre-loaded garbage" that humbert has found in Windows 11. All this is not coming with the original version, it was added by me but humbert forgot to remove the $oem$ folder with ultraiso, just the way I told him to. However, he noticed that the game belatout was on his computer. He could have played with the French version, but he chose to switch the language to English in the preferences. After 2 glasses of Pastis, Maher, shadow.97, humbert and I were finally ready to play Belote coinchée.
Thanks to Belatout, humbert has become an expert at Belote.
Meanwhile, Vasudev is heating a barbecue until the coals are glowing hot. Then he's laying the Figatelli next to each other. The evening promises to be festive.

humbert

I wasn't referring only to the software you installed on Win11. I was also refering to Micro$oft's garbage, many of which cannot be uninstalled unless you hack into the system with powershell. In any event this business of installing SIDWADN (software I don't want and don't need) is endemic to just about any operating system on any platform. Every day it gets worse and worse. You have to spend hours simply getting rid of this sewage or at least disabling it. Additionally, the OS manufacturers do everything in their power so you will actually USE their gargabe.

It would make more sense to give us a clean OS and put an icon on the desktop that says "recommended programs" with all the links. This gives the user and option to pick and choose what they want and skip over stuff that will never be used and does nothing more than take up hard drive space. The other option is to sit here and spend hours taking out the trash. Maybe YOU find these programs useful, but many of us do not and would rather decide for ourselves what we want.

Handbrake is my favorite example. As I understand it this programs is very processor intensive. Nobody on this forum is dumb enough to make Win11 their primary OS - it's too early for that. Those who download it will probably play around with it on a VM. Who in their right mind going to run Handbrake on a VM?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 12, 2021, 04:53 AM
Handbrake is my favorite example. As I understand it this programs is very processor intensive. Nobody on this forum is dumb enough to make Win11 their primary OS - it's too early for that. Those who download it will probably play around with it on a VM. Who in their right mind going to run Handbrake on a VM?
Actually I added Handbrake and I agree with you, it's not useful to use it in a Virtual Machine. By the way it's probably not a program that we are going to use on a regular basis.
Apparently you have been impressed by windows 11, maybe you'll install it anyway.
Besides my programs, windows 11 comes up with useless stuff (maybe I should get rid of the useless shortcuts for office in the start menu).
Note that according to techspot, there is practically no difference between Windows 10 and windows 11:
https://www.techspot.com/article/2278-windows-11-benchmark/

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 12, 2021, 08:50 AM
Apparently you have been impressed by windows 11, maybe you'll install it anyway.

Like I said, it's too soon for that. Let's let some time pass so that M$ can bring out some updates to generally make it better. Also -- and very important -- let's wait for developers to come out with software to manage W11. For example, Windows 10 Privacy must become Windows 11 Privacy and Yamicsoft's Windows 10 Manager must turn into W11 Manager. I especially love W10(11) Privacy -- it stops telemetry and it's an awesome garbage remover.

Besides my programs, windows 11 comes up with useless stuff (maybe I should get rid of the useless shortcuts for office in the start menu).

Exactly. You will save tons of time by simply putting an icon on the desktop for links with programs you recommend. This gives the user the option to pick and choose according to his needs. It also saves the rest of us plenty of time since we don't have to spend time deleting stuff that we do not want and will never use. Naturally I refer only to your stuff, garbage installed by M$ you don't control. Speaking of M$ bloat, there is now stuff that cannot be deleted by right click-uninstall. Of course it's not impossible to delete them, you just have to use powershell.

Note that according to techspot, there is practically no difference between Windows 10 and windows 11:
https://www.techspot.com/article/2278-windows-11-benchmark/

I agree. All M$ is doing is adding restrictions and bloat, and of course companies actually have to pay for the OS (never us, we don't pay).

BTW, in the techspot article and often here, they keep using the word "leaked". It gives the impression some rogue employee or a North Korean hacker somehow penetrated M$ servers, stole a top secret copy of the ISO and uploaded it everywhere. Really?? Then why it is that M$ source code has NEVER been leaked? When will people finally understand that it is Micro$oft themselves who leak it? This has been their winning strategy since the day Bill Gate$ and Paul Allen started the company.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 11, 2021, 05:51 AM
Yes, I went to that site and noticed that there were actually 2 ways to disable TPM. Notice that the date on that article is June 21, 3 days before the official release. Clearly Micro$oft is backpedaling on all this, otherwise it would be much harder to disable TPM if not impossible.

I installed Scarface's Win11 as a VM with VirtualBox. It installed in less than 5 minutes without a hitch, which is unprecedented. I noticed that the Win11 VM runs faster and smoother than Win10. If indeed this new OS requires a newer and stronger CPU to run, then how is it that runs faster than its predecessor on a virtual machine where performance is always less than on a host computer? I'm convinced these restrictions are artificially imposed to get everybody to upgrade and will eventually be disabled the same way TPM was.
I think you might be mistaken. Windows 11 was announced on the 24th of June 2021, but it is not the release date. Windows 11 will be out "this holiday season", and there is no official date yet, so likely sometime between late November and December.
I've been a bit disappointed so far. Windows 11 is not really revolutionary. You can read this article if you want to know what's new: https://medium.com/nerd-for-tech/windows-11-the-revolutionary-new-skin-for-windows-10-d48a08d33e80
I remember that I downloaded Windows xp with a 56k modem in late 2001. At this time I was using windows ME. Maybe Maher, aa1234779 or Vasudev remember this old OS.
windows ME:

Some users experienced problems with it: https://paleotronic.com/2020/10/09/the-scourge-of-windows-millennium-edition/
So I was very excited to get and install this new windows XP, and it was more stable than windows 98 or windows ME indeed. From what I've seen so far, I doubt Windows 11 will be better than windows 10 (or windows 7). Note that I didn't like the new start menu and I restored the classic one with the registry entry "Start_ShowClassicMode" (The program "classic start menu" wasn't working). What's more, the Run command in the start menu had disappeared, which is a real problem.

humbert

I'm sure you're right. June 24th was the introduction of Win11 but not the official release. It's pretty much common knowledge that Win11 is nothing more than W10 with new bloatware and restrictions. Despite this, eventually upgrading will become necessary - we all know why. Naturally now is not the time. Let M$ improve it and let the hackers break into it and remove the limitations. Nobody knows when that will be, but there's no rush. For now W10 remains the OS of choice.

I tried Windows ME and hated it since the day I saw it. I went back to Win98 and immediately downloaded XP when it came out. By then cable "broadband" was available in my neighborhood at a blazing 3Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I also remember everybody being concerned because M$ had put a new security system to deter piracy. I refer to those keys that had to be typed in. As if always the case, before you know it there were more working fake keys than copies of XP -- just like M$ wanted it.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on July 15, 2021, 06:52 PM
(or windows 7). Note that I didn't like the new start menu and I restored the classic one with the registry entry "Start_ShowClassicMode" (The program "classic start menu" wasn't working). What's more, the Run command in the start menu had disappeared, which is a real problem.
Win+R is a workaround for now :)

humbert

As most of you know by now, M$oft has had to back away from this garbage of Windows 11 working only on late model CPU's. Check out https://www.howtogeek.com/751960/microsoft-backs-down-windows-11-will-run-on-any-pc for further details. When I first tested this thing on VirtualBox I realized this requirement was pure garbage. What sense does it make that a supposedly power-hungry OS runs better and faster under a virtual machine than Windows 10? It's also easy to disable the TPM and secure boot requirements. Whether M$ will close this hole remains to be seen, but rest assured if that happens somebody will find a way to reopen it.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 29, 2021, 05:08 AM
As most of you know by now, M$oft has had to back away from this garbage of Windows 11 working only on late model CPU's. Check out https://www.howtogeek.com/751960/microsoft-backs-down-windows-11-will-run-on-any-pc for further details. When I first tested this thing on VirtualBox I realized this requirement was pure garbage. What sense does it make that a supposedly power-hungry OS runs better and faster under a virtual machine than Windows 10? It's also easy to disable the TPM and secure boot requirements. Whether M$ will close this hole remains to be seen, but rest assured if that happens somebody will find a way to reopen it.
It seems Skylake and 1st gen Ryzen are denied entries on based on some virtualisation features slowing it down.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 30, 2021, 05:21 PM
It seems Skylake and 1st gen Ryzen are denied entries on based on some virtualisation features slowing it down.

Does that mean they won't run at full potential or what? The article basically says if it runs on W10 it'll run on W11. Now I read someplace that if it's an old CPU M$ won't provide security updates. So far the problem with W11 is you don't know what lie to believe. Be that as it may, it's still way too early to really give any of this serious consideration.

Do I remember correctly or did M$ say W10 would be the last major upgrade?