• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Vasudev

Downloaded your Win 7 SP1 to my Mega account. I could never bring W7 down to 3GB. Mine usually hovers around 5-6GB with 4 editions Home, Pro, Business and Ultimate.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on November 17, 2021, 08:55 PM
Downloaded your Win 7 SP1 to my Mega account. I could never bring W7 down to 3GB. Mine usually hovers around 5-6GB with 4 editions Home, Pro, Business and Ultimate.
There is only one version in the windows 7 iso that I upload for the forum. And above all, it's very small because it was converted to esd (a windows 10 boot.wim is used for compatibility reasons).
Note that you can delete some unneeded editions with imagex (for example imagex /delete C:\sources\install.wim 1
Each time you remove an edition, the number of the rank decreases for the others after this rank.
After all this, it could be even easily smaller if we are cleaning winsxs with rebase (first message of this topic) and if we remove a few obsolete -printer and graphics- drivers.
In such conditions, the esd image could take up less than 2 Gb in  size.
But each time I used rebase, installing updates became a problem.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on November 17, 2021, 11:00 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 17, 2021, 08:55 PM
There is only one version in the windows 7 iso that I upload for the forum. And above all, it's very small because it was converted to esd (a windows 10 boot.wim is used for compatibility reasons).
Note that you can delete some unneeded editions with imagex (for example imagex /delete C:\sources\install.wim 1
Each time you remove an edition, the number of the rank decreases for the others after this rank.
After all this, it could be even easily smaller if we are cleaning winsxs with rebase (first message of this topic) and if we remove a few obsolete -printer and graphics- drivers.
In such conditions, the esd image could take up less than 2 Gb in  size.
But each time I used rebase, installing updates became a problem.
With rebase future updates can't be installed sometimes. I have lot of friends who use Home, Pro and Ultimate Win 7 versions. I didn't know you can use boot.wim from win 10.

scarface

Today, a new version of windows 11 is available on the forum.
Exceptionally this new version is released even if there is no update, but some drivers were integrated. Since more drivers are now available for windows 11, windows 7 will not be updated any longer on the forum.
Link here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36994#msg36994

What's new:
-7zip was updated.
-Total commander was added.
-Some drivers were integrated:
Intel-WiFi-22.90.0
realtek_wlan_2024.0.10.225
realtek_card_reader_10.0.22000.31269
PCI-bus-AMD-21.40.0
intel_rst_19.0.0.1067
intel_mei_2131.1.4.0
intel_chipset_10.1.18838.8284
Intel-BT-22.90.2-64
LAN_Killerwin11_3.1121.1048
realtekethernet10-100-1000PCIE_Win11_11.2.0909.2021

scarface

scarface

Note that I deleted a few videos with broken links in the topic "best clips".
I'd like to keep cleaning the forum with this topic. There are hundred of messages in this topic and it's becoming hard to find what we are looking for. Maybe it would be wise to create a new topic with the links for windows 7,10,11 (that you can find in this message for example: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36994#msg36994) and delete all the messages that are not linked with the initial purpose of the topic, which was harkaz's rebase for windows 7. I'm waiting for humbert and Vasudev's feedback.

scarface

Note that new versions of windows 10 and 11 will be available next week.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 11, 2021, 01:09 PM
Note that I deleted a few videos with broken links in the topic "best clips".
I'd like to keep cleaning the forum with this topic. There are hundred of messages in this topic and it's becoming hard to find what we are looking for. Maybe it would be wise to create a new topic with the links for windows 7,10,11 (that you can find in this message for example: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36994#msg36994) and delete all the messages that are not linked with the initial purpose of the topic, which was harkaz's rebase for windows 7. I'm waiting for humbert and Vasudev's feedback.

Unless we're talking a very brazen difference and only 1 or 2 posts, I do not believe this is a good idea. A lot of this is gray area. Who determines what belongs there and what doesn't? I myself have often posted in topics that aren't exactly the same as my subject matter so as not to open another topic. Also: you're going to have people mad at you for deleting their posts or moving them without their consent. At least contact the poster and make sure he agrees.

scarface

Note that new versions of windows 10 and 11 will be available tonight on the forum.
Vasudev and humbert must be eagerly waiting for them.