• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Note that I'm going to update some photos in the topic "New topic photos" on the forum (smaller size/better resolution). Tonight, I will make a special dish that you already know: a raclette. I will show you some photos.

scarface

Tonight, I’m presenting another raclette recipe.
Look at the photo below.

You can see the raclette device. In the place, you can see some potatoes, some raclette  cheese, as well as a slice of ham (“jambon” in French).

Now imagine the scene.
The users of the forum are gathered in a farm. This evening, I have planned a special feast for all of them. Shadow.97 looks happy. He’s going to eat some raclette cheese for the first time. I’m asking him to start the device. In the meantime, Vasudev and usman are watching TV (an old series of the 80’s; 21 jump street - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1uvPmqHxE)
Humbert is reading a book in the armchair, a book of Zola titled “The beast within” or “La bête humaine” since he’s reading the French edition. Meanwhile, Shadow.97 and iih are checking the price of Bitcoin on their computer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxAguzN5OJQ)
I’m playing belote with Maher, Ahmad and topdog.
This evening, everyone will enjoy the raclette.

scarface

Tonight, I’m going to present another cheese.

Look at the photo below.

What you see is a piece of Camembert, a cheese made from raw cow’s milk.
A cheese columnist described an authentic Camembert as having "hints of garlic, barnyard and ripe laundry."
This cheese was stored to ripen and as you can see on the photo, it’s beginning to melt. it’s very stinky.

Now imagine the scene.
We are in 2070. The users of the forum are gathered in a farm, in France.
Humbert and shadow.97 are watching an episode of Dallas (it’s an old VHS tape). I still remember the opening credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfHcCLn4pk
Aa1234779 and Vasudev, the strong men, have to manually run an energy generator, with bare hands, since there is no more electricity. The last power plants shut down decades ago. For those who are learning the French language on the forum, note that the word decade is a false friend in French. If you are a literary of technical translator and if you are translative out of your mother tongue, you can’t use the French word “décade”, which means a period of 10 days. Instead, you will use “décennie”.
Meanwhile, usman and topdog are in the kitchen. They are checking the cheese for the meal.
At the end of the meal, I have the feeling that humbert is ready to meet a difficult challenge. Usman just brought an old picodon, and I know that humbert is not hard to please. This one smells like old socks. I’m pouring some wine in the glass of humbert. A Château Figeac, one of the most famous wine appellations of St Emilion red wines, with Château Cheval Blanc and Château Ausone. Humbert is really happy to taste a new cheese, and he adressed the challange without any major difficulties. Then I’m serving Maher, Vasudev and Usman some wine, with a slice of camembert and a piece of bread. But I notice that Usman is not eating his piece of cheese. Does he have finicky tastes or are there worms in the cheese? Usman tells me that something is wrong: this camembert is particularly stinky. But I reassure him: it proves that the cheese is ripe. That’s why we need to double box them to avoid stinking the house out.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 12, 2022, 10:52 PM
We are in 2070. The users of the forum are gathered in a farm, in France.
Humbert and shadow.97 are watching an episode of Dallas (it’s an old VHS tape).

2070? Do you think I'm a Galapagos tortiose or something? Sorry but there's a better than average chance I will not be attending.

scarface

Tonight, I'm presenting another recipe.

Look at the photo below. What you see is exceptional.

What you see is a duck breast (magret de canard in French) with curry rice.
The "magret de canard" is my favorite meat. I guess that humbert, usmangujjar and aa1234779 like this kind of meat too.
Duck has a thicker skin, higher fat content and a stronger, meatier flavour than chicken. The breasts are covered in a thick layer of fat, which needs to be melted (rendered) during cooking to ensure the skin crisps up.
Note that duck breast is best served medium rare and pink in the middle.

scarface

Today, I'm going to present a new recipe.

Look carefully at the photos below.
Shadow.97 and Daniil probably know this fish. It's not a trout: this is not a freshwater fish, since it can be be found in the North Atlantic and in the Mediterranean Sea.

What you see here is a mackerel. It's very good with some potatoes.

Daniil

Quote from: scarface on March 02, 2022, 01:21 PM
Today, I'm going to present a new recipe.

Look carefully at the photos below.
Shadow.97 and Daniil probably know this fish. It's not a trout: this is not a freshwater fish, since it can be be found in the North Atlantic and in the Mediterranean Sea.

What you see here is a mackerel. It's very good with some potatoes.
;D ;D You're a gallic barbarian, scarface. How you can eat fish with PASTA?! That's... That's... That's ferity! ;D :)

If talking serious - we in Russia never eating fish with any kind of pasta. We call makerel "scomber", and eating it smoked, with beer. For example, I with my girlfriend from time to time eating it at Fridays, when we watch anime.

Shadow.97

I can not remember having seen a whole mackarell before.
The times I've bought it, it's been in a small can with tomato sauce or sunflower oil. Like a can of tuna.

Regarding food:
Lately my consumption of Belvita Softbakes have increased dramatically. I've had a hard time getting fibers since I moved from Sweden, as I do not like the bread containing fiber here.
Sadly they are not cheap. â,¬3 for 250g. Sometimes for sale at â,¬2 for 250g. Each biscuit is 50g each. I like them with coffee.
One thing worse than its price is the manufacturer: Mondelez International.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another dish.

Look at the photo below.

You can see some saucisson and some bread. As an aperitif, it guess it could satisfy even the most demanding guests like humbert and shadow.97.
Usually, with a slice of saucisson, when it's cocktail hour, you can enjoy it with a glass of pastis or red wine. I imagine that aa1234779 and Vasudev are looking questioningly at the dark beverage in the background. Is it a black wine of Cahors? A Boulaouane from Morocco? Actually it's jut a Cola... Incredibly enough, this Cola pairs well with the saucisson even if it is clearly an affront to the gastronomic tradition.

Daniil

It's courious, but today we also ate saucisson with corn crisps (that's how we call nachos here). Saucisson here in Russia is called "Italian salamy", and is almost the same like one comrade scarface showed. On this photo we finishing our beer, while fifth disc of "Evangelion" copying to our laptop.