• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: Daniil on March 11, 2022, 09:43 PM
It's courious, but today we also ate saucisson with corn crisps (that's how we call nachos here). Saucisson here in Russia is called "Italian salamy", and is almost the same like one comrade scarface showed. On this photo we finishing our beer, while fifth disc of "Evangelion" copying to our laptop.
Actually we also have salamy in France. The Italian name is "Il salame" and in France it's salami. Actually in France it's mainly industrial and it can be found in supermarkets as "salami danois", even if I think there is probably nothing Danish or Italian about it (it must be the type of the salamy). The real Italian salamy is called "salami Milano" and it's normaly made in Italy but it can be only found in delicatessen stores. Since it is imported, with a better quality, it is more expensive. Pork is the most common cured meat in Italy and this country has other fine meat products like Coppa and Prosciutto di Parma (Parma ham).

scarface

We are posting recipes in this topic but I know that some of you can't buy food anymore due to the rising prices. It is especially true nowadays since the war in Ukraine piles pressure on a global food system already in crisis.

Households are facing the prospect of even higher food prices owing to the war in Ukraine, threatening hikes of the kind seen in 2008 after the global financial crisis, as wheat exports from Ukraine and Russia come under threat, compounding price increases resulting from the climate crisis.
Arif Husain, the chief economist at the UN World Food Programme (WFP), said: “The devastating consequences of the Russian onslaught on Ukraine are also felt in places far away. Grain and oil prices are fast approaching or even surpassing levels not seen since the 2008 food and fuel crisis.”

Prices of wheat, maize and soya beans have surpassed 2008 levels in recent days, with maize hovering slightly below prices of 2013 and soya beans reaching similar heights as in 2012.

Russia and Ukraine are the world's breadbasket; the International Food Policy Research Institute estimates that their exports represent 12 percent of all the food calories traded in the world.  Ukraine supplies the EU with just under 60% of its corn and nearly half of a key component in the grains needed to feed livestock.

Egypt, one of the most populated countries in the world and the largest wheat importer on the globe, is not expected to suffer shortages until late 2022, yet it is already bearing the brunt of shooting prices brought on by the Russia-Ukraine war.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present a new cheese.

Look carefully at the photo below.

I guess Vasudev and humbert will have no trouble identifying the cheese on the photo. Actually, what you see is a piece of emmental, a loaf of wholegrain bread and some wine.

Now, a little story.
We are in 2060. Humbert is playing belote with Maher and usman. humbert is healthy and looks like a young man: there is no more doubt about the beneficial properties of the saucisson and the red wine.
Vasudev and aa1234779 are watching the movie "the hobbit: an unexpected journey": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFFWH8N9SLk
It reminds them of their long trip since they had to cross multiple continents. As the world ran out of oil decades ago, they used traditional means of transportation: an elephant for Vasudev, a camel for aa1234779. I suddenly realize there is no more bread for dinner. It's getting late and the local market is going to close. I'm interrupting the movie and tell aa1234779 we are short of bread: he dashes forth upon his camel to go and fetch this essential food item.

scarface

Note that a new recipe will be presented tomorrow.

A cooking secret will be revealed.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe, for a juicy, succulent, very flavorful oven-baked boneless pork roast (rôti de porc in French).

As you can see, this piece of meat is big. It will take some time to cook it. Humbert, shadow.97 and Maher have certainly never cooked something like this. That's why we are going to see the method to use.

First and foremost, let's put the meat in a glass baking pan.
Then, rub the rôti with butter and spices and spray its top with olive oil.

Cook the rôti for 45 minutes at 210°C.
When done, it will be beautifully browned.

For this rôti, it turned out that it was not cooked enough after 45 minutes and the meat was put in the oven for 15 more minutes.

When it's done, you can serve with vegetables and white wine.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe.

Look at the photo below

It's probably not a common dish for Vasudev, humbert or shadow.97.
Here you can see lentils served with a knuckle of ham.

humbert

How long does it take you to prepare all these meals? I assume you live alone.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on April 01, 2022, 05:25 AMHow long does it take you to prepare all these meals? I assume you live alone.
Not that long in fact. For the lentils, I just had to warm them up. As for the knuckle of ham it was a prepared dish (pre-cooked), and supposed to be served cold. For the pork roast (le rôti), it's true that it took a little more than one hour to cook it. And yet I forgot to buy shallot to make the sauce.
For a nice meal (snails, pork roast or duck breast), I don't mind cooking for an hour.

Daniil

Quote from: scarface on March 31, 2022, 08:23 PMTonight, I'm going to present another recipe.

Look at the photo below
Oh, it's lentils! I like it!
It's a bit rarity in Russia (we prefer buckwheat or millet), but it's tasty with meat!

Shadow.97

Quote from: Daniil on April 03, 2022, 02:08 PM
Quote from: scarface on March 31, 2022, 08:23 PMTonight, I'm going to present another recipe.

Look at the photo below
Oh, it's lentils! I like it!
It's a bit rarity in Russia (we prefer buckwheat or millet), but it's tasty with meat!
I could not identify this. I often buy the following: Lentil & veggie soup. €0.55
https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/300524100