• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 28, 2022, 06:30 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on May 26, 2022, 09:15 PMNever heard of Fenvi.
I found some Ax201 Intel M.2 with PCIe adapter and antenna. https://www.newegg.com/edup-ep-ax210gs-pci-express/p/0XM-01CT-00034
Older Ax200 Intel M.2 https://www.newegg.com/p/0XM-011Z-00004?Item=9SIAE6ZB8E1548
Realtek Wifi could be buggy and needs more FW or drivers.

The card you mentioned doesn't do 6E. What I'm trying to do is replace an ethernet cable that's on the floor protected by a cable protector. Occasionally people trip over it. My ISP is Google Fiber. My tests regularly show roughly 945 Mbps up and down consistently. Only 6E can come close. It'll probably go that fast because, as I explained, the PC is just 3½ meters from the router and there is a direct line of sight with no obstructions in between. Unfortunately getting this isn't possible at this time. It's too early to upgrade to Windows 11.

Realtek might be bad, but it's everywhere. I just checked device manager. The LAN controller on the motherboard is Realtek. The laptop WiFi 6 adapter I just returned was Realtek. So far every network adapter I've had, regardless of brand, uses a Realtek chipset. I'll bet you money that the WiFi adapter shown in your link has one too. They're like flies or roaches -- they're everywhere.

The first link had a typo, its ax210 instead of ax201 which actually supports 6E standard. I'll link a comparison of Intel's Wifi cards including Killer branding (Ax210,Ax211 and Ax411) Compare Intel Wifi 6E cards

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 28, 2022, 09:02 PMThe first link had a typo, its ax210 instead of ax201 which actually supports 6E standard. I'll link a comparison of Intel's Wifi cards including Killer branding (Ax210,Ax211 and Ax411) Compare Intel Wifi 6E cards

I was looking at your link. The only differences I'm seeing is that the last 2 support "Double Connect" and the 3rd and 4th aren't supported under "Intel vPro Technology". Either way you can't get 6E unless you have Win11. I don't think Intel has a driver that allows Win10 to run 6E. It does have Win10 drivers, but all you get is Wifi 6. I've got to keep the cable until there's a fix or I eventually upgrade to Win11 as we all will.

scarface

Note that the new version of Windows 11 (22h2) is available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14153.msg37204#msg37204
This is a modified version of windows 11 build 22621 found on https://uupdump.net/

As you can see there are 2 start menus. A classic start menu was restored, but the original in the middle didn't disappear.

It has been difficult to do this version since there were major changes since the 1st edition of windows 11, at least during the installation process, and it has been particularly annoying.

At first it was impossible to capture the image and I had to add the cmd /Scratchdir, otherwise the image was corrupt (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0e114984-ef7e-4435-b294-aab7ea42f336/custom-installwim-install-problem)

Then I had a problem since there was a bug during oobe. Incredibly enough, it wasn't possible to create a pin as requested since the window was hidden (It was possible to see the window with Alt-tab, but it was staying in the background!). After a reboot I was finally able to start oobe again and maximize this window and create the pin.
Apparently it was already present in previous versions, but since I always create an offline account, I never had to deal with it. This bug is described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/382050/windows-hello-for-business-login-pin-screen-behind.html

So I tried to create an offline account to skip the pin creation...But it's not possible any longer. Indeed, Windows 11 22H2 apparently removes the option to set up the device with a local account even when your installation edition is Windows 11 Pro. So if you have no internet connection, you can't install Windows...
But I found a workaround with the command OOBE\BYPASSNRO
So if you want to install windows 11 22h2 with an offline account (and also bypass the pin setup), you can use the following tutorial which is pretty simple.
https://pureinfotech.com/bypass-internet-connection-install-windows-11/

In my opinion with the current setup I wouldn't be surprised if windows 11 ended up as a commercial failure.
The installation has become way too hard and you can't access certain settings easily (in this version windows defender is activated since it hasn't been possible to disable it, at least without deactivating other services).

humbert

What difference is there between the modified and non-modified versions? Is that the non-modified version only runs on newer hardware and requires TPM and secure boot? Did you check and see if you can install "Windows Subsystem for Android" so you can run Android apps with needing an emulator?

Personally I have no issue with newer hardware or TPM. I do have a major issue with secure boot. For example, if Win11 has a major issue and won't boot, how do you boot from a flashdrive to either restore a backup or run one of the many program to fix issues? So far I have no clear-cut answer to this problem.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 29, 2022, 05:34 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on May 28, 2022, 09:02 PMThe first link had a typo, its ax210 instead of ax201 which actually supports 6E standard. I'll link a comparison of Intel's Wifi cards including Killer branding (Ax210,Ax211 and Ax411) Compare Intel Wifi 6E cards

I was looking at your link. The only differences I'm seeing is that the last 2 support "Double Connect" and the 3rd and 4th aren't supported under "Intel vPro Technology". Either way you can't get 6E unless you have Win11. I don't think Intel has a driver that allows Win10 to run 6E. It does have Win10 drivers, but all you get is Wifi 6. I've got to keep the cable until there's a fix or I eventually upgrade to Win11 as we all will.
I missed the windows update driver catalog which i added and it seems it was not saved. https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=ax211
The first result should work as its compatible with Win 1809 to W11. Its good to have Ethernet like WiFi speeds and ditching cables is a good option when you run around and trip over loads of wires.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 31, 2022, 04:44 AMWhat difference is there between the modified and non-modified versions? Is that the non-modified version only runs on newer hardware and requires TPM and secure boot? Did you check and see if you can install "Windows Subsystem for Android" so you can run Android apps with needing an emulator?

Personally I have no issue with newer hardware or TPM. I do have a major issue with secure boot. For example, if Win11 has a major issue and won't boot, how do you boot from a flashdrive to either restore a backup or run one of the many program to fix issues? So far I have no clear-cut answer to this problem.
The non-modified version only runs on newer hardware and requires TPM and secure boot indeed. this version doesn't need TPM 2 and secure boot enabled. What's more, it's modified as you can see on the screenshot. Many programs were added (the same programs and reg tweaks are available in windows 10 and 7, however in windows 11 a few more tweaks were added to get back the classic right-click context menu and a start menu since the new graphic design is rotten for long time users).
You can find modified versions elsewhere like Phoenix Liteos, however I don't trust those Lite editions since many services are disabled. They can't be updated and they are not always reliable.
I didn't check if android apps could be installed.
If you are not sure whether you can install it or not, I advise you to test it in a virtual machine first. You should have another device to install a previous version or a spare hard-drive disk with an already installed operating system too.
For the moment, I think that the benefits of windows 11 over the previous editions are shabby. If your current system is working, maybe you should keep it.

scarface

Note that a new windows 11 edition will be available on the 13th of June.
In the next edition there will be a bigger start button:

It might be useful if you are afflicted with poor eyesight. Actually, the size of the button was adjusted because a click below or above the previous button didn't open the start menu, and it was a bit annoying (A click above and nothing happened and below it was opening the weather widgets). What's more the weather widgets are disabled in the next version (via the integration of a hkcu reg keys). Sometimes they were interfering with the restored classic start menu (with the big icon it was probably not the case any more). They can be enabled again though the taskbar settings though.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on June 04, 2022, 10:18 PMNote that a new windows 11 edition will be available on the 13th of June.

All you keep hearing are these wonderful things Win11 can do compared to Win10. Despite this, in every forum I've read I've yet to see a single person saying something postitive about Win11. Everybody hates it.

Your release and all other should be for testing purposes only. It's far too early to upgrade from Win10.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 05, 2022, 05:44 AM
Quote from: scarface on June 04, 2022, 10:18 PMNote that a new windows 11 edition will be available on the 13th of June.

All you keep hearing are these wonderful things Win11 can do compared to Win10. Despite this, in every forum I've read I've yet to see a single person saying something postitive about Win11. Everybody hates it.

Your release and all other should be for testing purposes only. It's far too early to upgrade from Win10.
90% of them upgraded due to clickbait and EoL fear from Win 10 to W11. Then again market share of W11  hasn't grown yet.
Scarface I think its better to do quarterly releases of W11 since the W11 users are a minority and majority of users use W10 anyway!

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 05, 2022, 08:08 PM90% of them upgraded due to clickbait and EoL fear from Win 10 to W11. Then again market share of W11  hasn't grown yet.
Scarface I think its better to do quarterly releases of W11 since the W11 users are a minority and majority of users use W10 anyway!

The problem with Win11 is it's NOT FINISHED. Notice that all these wonderful things they talk about (support for Alder Lake, Android subsystem, and now ability to forward graphic data directly to the GPU) are all in the talking stages and/or scheduled for future releases. Notice that very few developers are writing Win11-specific hacks and configuration utilities. There is (for example) no Windows 11 Privacy program - at least not yet. And of course Win10 works very well and satisfies almost everyone's needs. This is especially true when tons of people have "unsupported" hardware that does everything they want it to do and don't really need to upgrade. I say give it at least another year before full-fledged adoption begins, if not more.