• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Introduce yourself

Started by Maher, January 28, 2011, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Guliver on June 08, 2022, 10:51 PMWow, thank you for your kind words Humbert. I am from (and presently residing in) Europe, but I hope you guys will forgive me if I don't specify where exactly, at least for now. I am kinda wary about putting personal information where it can be accessed publicly, my apologies.

And thank YOU for your kind words about me.

Don't worry about the thing with your location. One of our users (I believe aa1234779) is a citizen of Saudi Arabia but cannot disclose his exact location due to possible reprisals from the Saudi regime. Hopefully your situation isn't the same. While certainly we respect your privacy, I didn't think that telling us you live in [for example] Germany would make it easier to find you. There are 80 million Germans, one if them is a guy named Guliver (not his real name). How do I find Guliver with that information alone?

Once again, this is just an explanation. In absolutely no way am I pushing you into doing something you're not comfortable with. What you decide goes.

Changing the subject: Why not put a nice-looking avatar on  your profile? I downloaded a package of almost 3000. I've zipped it up and sent it to several members. I you'd like a copy I'll send you one. The one I have came from that list.

Guliver

No no, thankfully I wouldn't be putting myself in any sort of danger by revealing info about myself, from my government or otherwise. I'm just naturally cautious about privacy, and I am aware that I might be taking it a tad too far. My commiserations to aa1234779 and any user who actually has to hide their identity to stay out of trouble. I wouldn't be opposed to talking about my location with interested users via PM, I just feel kinda iffy about posting it for the whole world to see. Anyway, you're a mod, you can see where I'm posting from  ;D And thank you for being so respectful.

Yeah, good idea! I'd love to see those avatars and choose one, thanks.

Vasudev

Welcome aboard Guliver!

humbert

Quote from: Guliver on June 12, 2022, 06:57 PMNo no, thankfully I wouldn't be putting myself in any sort of danger by revealing info about myself, from my government or otherwise. I'm just naturally cautious about privacy, and I am aware that I might be taking it a tad too far. My commiserations to aa1234779 and any user who actually has to hide their identity to stay out of trouble. I wouldn't be opposed to talking about my location with interested users via PM, I just feel kinda iffy about posting it for the whole world to see. Anyway, you're a mod, you can see where I'm posting from  ;D And thank you for being so respectful.

You've aroused my curiosity. Send me a PM with your location. City and country only, no address, no phone number nor any other personal details. I'll be sure to keep it a secret. BTW, we moderators do NOT have access to your location. All we can do is look at your public profile and see if you posted that information.

Quote from: Guliver on June 12, 2022, 06:57 PMYeah, good idea! I'd love to see those avatars and choose one, thanks.

Do you have a preference with respect to where to upload it? Does your protonmail account allow attachments? I have an account at mega.nz. Would you like me to upload it there and send you a download link?

BTW I don't know what picture viewing program you use, but I strongly recommend Irfanview or similar. When looking at a pic on a folder with many pics, hit T and you'll see them all side by side. With these avatars I strongly recommend a program that does this. You'll go crazy looking at one after another after another.

Guliver

Quote from: Vasudev on June 13, 2022, 04:59 PMWelcome aboard Guliver!

Thank you, Vasudev :)

Quote from: humbert on June 14, 2022, 05:22 AMBTW, we moderators do NOT have access to your location.

Oh, I see. I thought mods could see IP addresses of posters in the bottom left corner of posts, the forum software seems to suggest so, but maybe not. When I hover the mouse over the text "Show IP address", it shows my IP, and after clicking it a popup shows up saying "Your IP address is shown only to you and moderators", that's why I assumed you could obtain my location.

As for the avatar package, protonmail does allow attachments but the free plan only comes with 500MB storage space, so if it's more than that mega.nz would be ideal. Thanks!

scarface

As humbert said, we can just see the weird message too...

I remember that aa1234779 was also certain that his whereabouts might be disclosed because of this. But in my opinion he was even more angry about his avatar (in my signature).
Personally I don't mind about your location but when I read your message I was under the impression that you were in a European dictatorship. I must be mistaken.

Guliver

I see, good to know! No no, let me assure you, it has nothing to do with where I live or any outside factors. It is entirely a quirk of mine, a personality trait. Also I don't believe there was a reason to be angry, it's a nice choice for an avatar :)

humbert

Scarface/Guliver: I was unaware that we moderators could see user's IP addresses. I just thought that only Maher had access to those records. I guess I was wrong.

I had no clue aa1234779 was mad at you. Did he say tell you this privately? I still don't understand what you did that would make him angry, or exactly what avatar is involved.

Shadow.97

Quote from: Guliver on June 07, 2022, 09:37 PMHello everyone, I'm Guliver and I have been visiting this forum for a long time, but I only decided to make an account now. Huge thank you to Maher for reopening registrations for me, and to scarface and humbert for assisting me. Looking forward to being a part of this community :)
Welcome! :D

Im curious, how did you end up finding the forum from the start?
Also would love to know your whereabouts if you feel comfortable sharing it in PM. As you mentioned you're from Europe you may be close :P

I'm currently on vacation in Sweden been considering doing a tour dk->ger->nl this summer, but not decided yet.

Vasudev

Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 17, 2022, 03:32 PMI'm currently on vacation in Sweden been considering doing a tour dk->ger->nl this summer, but not decided yet.
Denmark -> Germany -> Holland, you seem to have a long vacation period.