• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another dish.

Look carefully at the photo below.

Vasudev and aa1234779 must be thinking that it's a pretty big sausage. Actually, it's not a French saucisson, but a Spanish pork sausage called "fuet". When I presented the Corsican Figatellu, I remember that shadow.97 used an elaborate vocabulary to describe it and neither I nor humbert could understand it. I guess this sausage looks funny as well.
This kind of sausage pairs well with red wine or beer. With this fuet, I'm enjoying a cold beer.

scarface

Today, I'm going to show you a cheese that you already know.

Look carefully at the photo below

What you see here is a camembert.
The original Camembert cheese is made from raw cow's milk. It was created in Normandy, France in 1791. Today, however, a very small percentage of producers make cheese from raw milk, they use pasteurized milk instead. Those who produce cheese using raw milk can legally call their cheese Camembert de Normandie under the AOC guidelines.

The fresh Camembert cheese is bland, hard and crumbly in texture. It has a milky and sweet taste. As the cheese matures it forms a smooth, runny interior and a white bloomy rind that is typical to Camenbert cheese. It has a rich, buttery flavour. Its white bloomy rind is caused by a white fungus, called penicillium candidum.The rind is meant to be eaten with the cheese.

If aa1234779 and shadow.97 are wondering which piece I'm going to take first, well, I think I'm going to choose the small one. But there is a funny scene in the movie "Le Pari" where a camembert is cut, and the character doesn't choose the small piece. I remind you that you can watch this movie here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1023.msg37813#msg37813

Guliver

I haven't had much time lately but I haven't forgotten about your questions Humbert (from way back in august, my bad), and I will try to answer them soon.

humbert

Quote from: Guliver on September 28, 2022, 07:27 PMI haven't had much time lately but I haven't forgotten about your questions Humbert (from way back in august, my bad), and I will try to answer them soon.

I wait in anticipation for your answers. As you correctly stated, we need posting on the forum. I respond to Scarface's posts when I have a question or when I agree or disagree. You are a very "perspicacious" guy and your input is valuable. As I told you once, don't be afraid of posting about religion, politics, or any controversial topics. It's precisely these topics that keep the forum going.

scarface

If you want to impress your guests and serve a cheese plate as a dessert, you should probably use something similar to the following.

Here we have a smelly cheese, namely a camembert, some bread, and some wine. You can also see a beautiful corkscrew ("tire-bouchon" in French).
This wine is a nice claret (you can also use the French word "Bordeaux). It pairs well with most cheeses and braised meats.

Note that the word "claret" is an old-timey English term used to refer to the red wines of Bordeaux. Over time, it also morphed into use for a particular style of red wine defined loosely as higher-in-tannin or "drier" than red Burgundy. It is believed that the use of the term claret, based on the terms vin clar or vin clarum - meaning something akin to pale wine or clear wine - came about due to fact that in the early days of the wine trade, Bordeaux red was a much lighter wine than the deep reds of today's Bordeaux.
The word "claret" doesn't exist in French, however, you can find the word "clairette", but it doesn't refer to red wine. Clairette is a white vinifera grape, native to the south of France and used in a variety of wines throughout the Languedoc, Rhône, and Provence. Its most famous incarnation is quite possibly as the star of the sparkling wines of the "Clairette de Die AOC"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXC-QZcyBQ

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another French culinary specialty.

As you can see, Rosette de Lyon is served. Rosette de Lyon is a cured saucisson from France.It is made from pork and usually served thinly sliced. I don't know if humbert or Gulliver already tried and got hold of Rosette de Lyon. They would probably enjoy it.

Shadow.97

Scarface (& others :) ), do you enjoy cranberry sauce with cheese? Specifically camembert

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present a new dish.

I guess that humbert, Vasudev or shadow.97 have never seen this.
What you see here is a plate of ravioles.
The raviole must not to be confused with Italian ravioli: the raviole is a speciality of the historical region of Dauphiné, in South East France. It dates back to Roman times, when it was known as rissole. And it was in the 13th century that the word "raviole" appeared, when turnip leaves replaced the meat inside. In the previous century, professional raviole-makers went from house to house, making ravioles for special occasions.
Renowned for its delicateness and meltingly soft texture, the raviole du Dauphiné is a small square of thin pasta made from tender wheat and fresh eggs, with a filling of fromage blanc, Comté cheese, eggs and parsley simmered in butter. It's very quick to cook, in salted boiling water or chicken stock... it only takes one minute. Delicious on their own, with a knob of butter, crème fraîche or a little grated cheese, ravioles can also be enjoyed au gratin or fried to make appetisers. No doubt the users of the forum would enjoy them.

scarface

Tonight I'm going to present another dish.

What you see here is a coq au vin.
Coq au vin is a quick and easy chicken recipe to cook at home. It embodies the true spirit of French cuisine – a delicious rustic dish that gathers everyone around the table to enjoy hearty food and a good glass of red wine. Legend traces this dish as far back as Julius Caesar.
I would be curious to know if humbert, Gulliver or aa1234779 are preparing similar stuff.
Of course you need to put wine for the sauce, It gives the taste of the dish a big boost. Since you don't drink it directly, I guess this recipe is compatible with the beliefs of Maher and aa1234779.
Note that if the classic version of this dish calls for red wine, specifically Burgundy, different areas of France have their own versions; for example, coq au vin jaune (Jura), coq au Riesling (Alsace), and coq au Champagne.

scarface

I didn't feel like cooking tonight so I choose some walnut bread, which is excellent, and a sausage (a fuet).
If you have some big and fat sausages, you can post them on the forum. I would be curious to know what kind of sausages humbert can find in the United States. Sausages are not necessarily made of pork, you can also find beef merguez or poultry sausages.
I remember that shadow.97 really enjoyed the funny shapes of the boudin (it seems the Swedes are eating blood pudding for desert, instead of blood sausages) and the figatellu.