• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Tonight, I'm presenting the dish that I'm going to prepare tonight.

Look carefully at the photos below.

Here you can see a piece of pork belly and some potatoes.

And here is the final result after being boiled:

Actually I sliced the potatoes to add butter. The most insightful users will probably notice that the skin was left on the potatoes: It's because it contains a lot of vitamins.
The beverage is a mere cola: I knew shadow.97 would criticize me if a bottle of wine was present on the table. And to be honest with you, it paired quite well with the pork belly and the potatoes. What's more I have to work tomorrow so I won't be "prout-prout" - even if this is the day enjoined by God (not everywhere I think, it might be Friday in the Muslim countries?)
But, to put it bluntly, the pork meat doesn't have the complexity and the taste of oysters or foie gras.
Instead of a cola, I guess humbert, Guliver and Maher would rather have their oysters with a good bottle of white wine, for instance, a Château d'Yquem, which pairs best with Foie Gras, Roquefort Cheese and Shellfish. At least I would.

Note that in French, the word "patate" is a 'colloquial' way of referring to potato.
The true word for potatoes is 'pommes de terre'.
'Patate' is originally only for sweet potatoes and some other species of 'tubercules' but not for potatoes.

If 'Patate' is used colloquially for potatoes in French, it can also mean a lot of different thing. It means :
- Potatoes
- 10,000 francs
- a lot of energy in the expressions "j'ai la patate" or "envoie la patate"

If humbert, Vasudev or Maher have watched the funny movie "les 3 frères", they are usually talking about the "100 patates" they are going to inherit (to no avail). I remind you that it's available here with English subtitles:
https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1023.msg37971#msg37971

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present a dessert.

Look carefully at the photo below.

What is it? Maybe some of you have the answer. Would you share such a dessert with me?

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on May 20, 2023, 08:51 PMTonight, I'm going to present a dessert.

What is it? Maybe some of you have the answer. Would you share such a dessert with me?
... Cheese and brown baguette?  ::)

Ps; just clarifying, i have nothing against the wine drinking or alcohol. It was just a joke.:D

Been quite busy since moving into an appartment.

Foodwise I've started drinking lots of my food instead of eating. There's liquid food replacements. I'm sure all of you normal food eaters would be confused what this could be. If it's any good and why on earth anyone would consume such a thing!

Truth is.
I eat to survive usually, not because im very fond of the food.
I find food to be a huge waste of time, boring, energy consuming and often expensive for what you get in return. And coming up with food all the time sucks, worrying about food expiring, having to throw it out etc.

eatmetta (dot) com
was my selection as it claims to be somewhat local.
I use it mostly as a supplement or addition. But when I truly dont want to make any food I take that only.

My diet as of late is 2 slices of bread with extra salted butter and cheese or ham. At noon, rice, meatballs, or sausage and then one fruit before noon and one after noon. In the evening usually two slices of bread again with ham/cheese.

Seeing Scars food makes me very curious. Looks delicious.  Pork belly and potatoes remind me of something I'd eat at grandmas place on a weekend with some more veggies.

What are your guys opinion on elk/moose, deer, rabbit meats like it?
I currently have smoked deer meat to have on my sandwich. Delicious.

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 21, 2023, 10:50 PM... Cheese and brown baguette?  ::)
Well, actually I think you know this cheese, it's a slab of creamy Gorgonzola. Gorgonzola is a premium blue cheese with texture veins and a creamy, buttery mouthfeel. The piece of bread is not a mere baguette (they are longer and thinner) but some farmhouse bread filled with walnuts. As for the beverage, it's a fine claret (Bordeaux).

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 21, 2023, 10:50 PMI find food to be a huge waste of time, boring, energy consuming and often expensive for what you get in return.
Well, I don't get bored in front of a good meal, quite the contrary. Actually I wouldn't expect you to jump frantically on your chair if you were in front of me, but a cuisine of this caliber would surely lift your spirits to the highest culinary skies.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 21, 2023, 10:50 PMMy diet as of late is 2 slices of bread with extra salted butter and cheese or ham. At noon, rice, meatballs, or sausage and then one fruit before noon and one after noon. In the evening usually two slices of bread again with ham/cheese.
There is not much liquid to me.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 21, 2023, 10:50 PMSeeing Scars food makes me very curious. Looks delicious. Pork belly and potatoes remind me of something I'd eat at grandmas place on a weekend with some more veggies.
I'm trying to stay young in my head. It's not easy.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 21, 2023, 10:50 PMWhat are your guys opinion on elk/moose, deer, rabbit meats like it?
I currently have smoked deer meat to have on my sandwich. Delicious.
In France practically all farmed rabbits are kept in cages (It's certainly different in Sweden). Sometimes, they are injured, piled on top of each other and living in a space only slightly bigger than an A5 piece of paper. So I'm trying to avoid rabbit meat (hopefully it's a bitter better for pigs or fish). As for deer meat, I only tried one time, it's good indeed (you have to know a hunter to find that).

humbert

QuoteTruth is.
I eat to survive usually, not because im very fond of the food.
I find food to be a huge waste of time, boring, energy consuming and often expensive for what you get in return. And coming up with food all the time sucks, worrying about food expiring, having to throw it out etc.

My sentiments exactly. I eat because I have no choice. If it were up to me I wouldn't eat at all. All I need to do is find myself another power source.

Hey Shadow: What are those liquid foods you keep mentioning? I only know about one called Boost, which tastes disgusting. Which ones do you use? Do you drink them every day? Hopefully I can follow your lead.

QuoteIn France practically all farmed rabbits are kept in cages (It's certainly different in Sweden). Sometimes, they are injured, piled on top of each other and living in a space only slightly bigger than an A5 piece of paper. So I'm trying to avoid rabbit meat (hopefully it's a bitter better for pigs or fish). As for deer meat, I only tried one time, it's good indeed (you have to know a hunter to find that).

It's truly sad that none of us will probably live to see the day that the enslavement of non-human animals comes to an end. They are sentient beings just as much as we are. Some have abilities that we can only dream of.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another dessert.

Look carefully at the photo below. What is it?

I guess humbert, shadow.97 and usmangujjar's viewpoint is critical and inquiring and I'm waiting for their remarks. If the beverage looks odd, it's normal, it's an homemade elixir.

What you see here is a "Bleu des Causses". Now let's imagine I'm in Texas with Vasudev, maher, usman and Guliver. If I'm telling them "'I brought a bleu des Causses", they are going to understand "Bleu d'Écosse": the pronunciation is the same. But this Blue cheese doesn't come from Scotland (Écosse in French). It's a Blue of Causses. Now where is Causses?
This cheese is a close cousin to Roquefort and is produced in the Languedoc region of southern France, in the regions of Sainte-Afrique and Millau.  it is designated as a Denomination of Controlled Origin.
Traditionally, the cheese was made from a mixture of sheep's milk mixed either with cow's or goat's milk. But according to French cheese laws, the cheese came to be made exclusively from cow's milk. Bleu des Causses has a high-fat content and is matured for at least seventy days. However, the cheese can also be matured for up to six months in Causses plateau in natural limestone caves.
The cheese is similar to Blue d'Auvergne in many ways, despite Bleu des Causses having a noticeably firmer, creamier texture and spicy flavours.
A taste of the Bleu des Causses will proffer a blend of rich milkiness amidst the peppery and spicy notes of the blue mould. It pairs excellently with sweet white wine and dessert wines such as Sauternes or Mulderbosch Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc.
As far as the beverage in concerned, I didn't choose a white wine. Instead I chose a Cola. But I know that humbert and usman would be appalled and dismayed at the idea of drinking Cola with cheese. So I poured some beer in the Cola. I know it's pretty unconventional, but at least it wasn't an American product anymore. I must say that was not a bad combo, even if I advise you to enjoy a glass of white wine, such as a Chardonnay or a Pinot Gris with this cheese.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present a new dish.

This is a perfect recipe for the guests of humbert, maher, or Guliver.
What you see here is half of a roasted chicken with slices of avocado (la moitié dun poulet rôti avec des tranches d'avocat).
Note that in French, poulet (young rooster) is pronounced "pulé", the letter "t" is not pronounced. But the prononciation "pulé" and not "pul" is important because the word "poule" is a synonymous of poulette.
In fact the prononciation "pulet" is used to refer to the wife of the poulet, known as "poulette" in French (pullet, young hen).
It's almost a Christmas meal.

scarface

Tonight, I'm presenting a special dish.

What you see here is a paella. It's very good. You can see some shellfish (some mussels and pink shrimp).
It is generally recommended to remove the shell from shrimps before eating them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaSe3Nc4ck

scarface

Tonight, I' going to show you another dish.

Look at the photo below.

You can see a farmhouse baguette (baguette de campagne) with a Spanish fuet (a Spanish variant of the French saucisson).
This kind of dish is ideal for an aperitif with friends. Humbert and shadow.97 might appreciate a good wine with this: a sommelier or waiter can help you select a wine that pairs well with a saucisson.
Note that a saucisson must be tasty, with a sweet, nutty and intense flavour. What's more, your guest must be able to smell the porky odour of the saucisson. However if there is a pungent and rancid smell, it can be the sign of a spoiled saucisson.

humbert

Is that French bread in the picture? I don't think they call it that in France, but they do in Québec.