• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Where is everybody?

Started by humbert, August 07, 2023, 05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on August 25, 2023, 04:30 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 24, 2023, 04:50 AMI was planning on getting an AC this year, but I had no where to mount it in my appartment.

Here's an interesting question: do you really need it? I'd think that in Scandinavia you could get away with opening the windows and using a fan. This would apply even more to you since you feel strange when the A/C is on. What do you think? BTW I just looked at http://timeanddate.com - at the time of this writing it reported 10c in Växjö. I wish it were like that here.
Need it for survival? Of course not. Neither do you need one in a car when you can roll down the window. but after all, it's comfort for a price. But the handful of days per year as a person who is not acclimated to heat is un-fun.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 24, 2023, 04:50 AMSauna on the top seat, approx 80-85c (176~185f). Have you ever been in a sauna after bathing in ice water? Traditional here, but mostly in the north.

By highest temp I meant by normal sun. You answered by question. I've been in saunas too but nowhere near 80c. How long can somebody stay in that temp without getting heatstroke? There is one barometer: if you're in a very hot environment and you start trembling as if it were cold, GET OUT IMMEDIATELY. Heatstroke is starting. It happened to me once in a sauna.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'm going to take a dive in ice water. Have you ever done that?
Nope, but would love to! The times I was offered through school I declined due to being uncomfortable doing it with 90~people watching. "Worst" i've done is rolling naked in deep snow. It's not bad at all, if you get to heat afterwards.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 24, 2023, 04:50 AMSweden, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, Spain, Greece, Cyprus. Closest to tropics would be Canary islands, but still not anything like a jungle or so. Next on the list is likely Finland or Estonia, Poland, Netherlands.

Nice. With the obvious exception of the UK, did you struggle to communicate with the locals in these places you've been to?
As long as the person you're talking with is open minded enough you won't have much issues communicating in the listed countries.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 24, 2023, 04:50 AMWhen it comes to AC, do you ever feel like you will get sick by it?
Every time I've had AC I get this sickly kind of cold feeling. Even if it isnt that cold.

In this country during the summer and in tropical cities all year 'round, surviving without A/C is impossible. Inside homes and buildings it gets very hot due to what's known as "internal heat gain" to the point where it becomes unbearable. A quick example: before the advent of A/C, the huge chocolate factory in Hershey, PA had to shut down during the summer. Their chocolate candies melted in the heat.
On this last part. I had bought a Kitkat when visiting my cousin. And no matter how much I waited, it kept being melted in his appartment. It didn't even feel that warm..
It amazes me how waxy chocolate has gotten here since Mondelez and Nestlé took over majority of chocolate brands.

This summer was surprisingly cold and wet in sweden. They thought it would be a nightmare summer like 2018 but that never happened.
Right now it is 21C 57% humidity and 5m/s winds. It's going to be lows of 12c and highs of 23c this coming week.

If anyone of you would like to we could hop in a call one day, or if any of you would like a parcel with candy or something I could send something when the weather cools down (To prevent it going bad in heat).  :)

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 02, 2023, 04:54 PMNeed it for survival? Of course not. Neither do you need one in a car when you can roll down the window. but after all, it's comfort for a price. But the handful of days per year as a person who is not acclimated to heat is un-fun.

Maybe in northern Europe you can get away with a car that has no A/C. But here? Forget it! The blistering heat and the relentless sun make for a very uncomforable drive. And of course when it rains not being able to keep the windows rolled up make for a very wet drive. Whenever I get a new car the first thing I do is take it to a tint place and install the darkest tint the law allows. It helps tremendously against the blinding glare. In this country even the cheapest cars are fully equipped with air conditioning, and of course heating.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 02, 2023, 04:54 PMThere is absolutely no way in hell I'm going to take a dive in ice water. Have you ever done that?
Nope, but would love to! The times I was offered through school I declined due to being uncomfortable doing it with 90~people watching. "Worst" i've done is rolling naked in deep snow. It's not bad at all, if you get to heat afterwards.

Probably the closest I've been to something like that is having to dip my hand into ice water to retrieve something. It's not just cold, it downright painful. You're saying you felt no pain or discomfort rolling around naked in the snow? Those people that dive into frozen lakes. They don't feel pain or any type of discomfort? If not there's got to be some sort of scientific explanation for it.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 02, 2023, 04:54 PMAs long as the person you're talking with is open minded enough you won't have much issues communicating in the listed countries.

What's the correlation between being open minded and [not] being able to speak a language you understand? Can you converse in any language other than Swedish and English? You told me once you were studying German but weren't all that interested. I hear Danish and Norwegian are pretty close, but I'm not too clear about it.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 02, 2023, 04:54 PMThis summer was surprisingly cold and wet in sweden. They thought it would be a nightmare summer like 2018 but that never happened. Right now it is 21C 57% humidity and 5m/s winds. It's going to be lows of 12c and highs of 23c this coming week.

How I envy you! Summer here has been far warmer than usual. I'm thinking that somehow climate change has nothing to do with regional weather.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 02, 2023, 04:54 PMIf anyone of you would like to we could hop in a call one day, or if any of you would like a parcel with candy or something I could send something when the weather cools down (To prevent it going bad in heat).

I'm not sure what you mean by "hop a call". With respect to chocolate candy being sent by parcel from here, I guarantee it'll be pure liquid by the time it arrives in Sweden.[/quote]

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 20, 2023, 03:37 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 19, 2023, 08:51 PMIt was near to 45c 2-3 months ago and room temp was much more even with a cooler, all the water i drink is turned to sweat. Almost felt like human torch.

If you were sweating that much then I'd guess the humidity was very high. At least here it was hovering around 20%. Despite the high air temps you sweat very little, if at all.

Do you have A/C at home, or at least in your bedroom? Even at 45c it should provide some relief. Even at 42c my A/C keeps the home at 25c during the day, 22c at night. The only thing is that the compressor runs nonstop and drives my electric bill through the ceiling.
I believe humidity %age was over 90%. I get quite sick after being in an AC, usually get cold and throat infection or that chilly feeling after being for 5-10mins.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 03, 2023, 07:17 PMI believe humidity %age was over 90%. I get quite sick after being in an AC, usually get cold and throat infection or that chilly feeling after being for 5-10mins.

It's not so much the relative humidity. It's the dew point temp that really matters. Dew points 24°c and higher are considered oppressive to intolerable.

With respect to what you told me about A/C, something's not right. The symptoms you mentioned are caused by viruses and/or bacteria. Very cold weather causes it too but indirectly. It weakens the upper respiratory's natural defenses. Even so, A/C temps (22° to 25°c) aren't cool enough to produce these effects. Have you been to a doctor lately?

How can you tolerate this these high temps, especially those high dew points, without A/C is beyond my comprehension. For me, simply sleeping under these conditions would be next to impossible.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 04, 2023, 05:27 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on September 03, 2023, 07:17 PMI believe humidity %age was over 90%. I get quite sick after being in an AC, usually get cold and throat infection or that chilly feeling after being for 5-10mins.

It's not so much the relative humidity. It's the dew point temp that really matters. Dew points 24°c and higher are considered oppressive to intolerable.

With respect to what you told me about A/C, something's not right. The symptoms you mentioned are caused by viruses and/or bacteria. Very cold weather causes it too but indirectly. It weakens the upper respiratory's natural defenses. Even so, A/C temps (22° to 25°c) aren't cool enough to produce these effects. Have you been to a doctor lately?

How can you tolerate this these high temps, especially those high dew points, without A/C is beyond my comprehension. For me, simply sleeping under these conditions would be next to impossible.
Been to the doctor and due to changing weather conditions from rainy -> very humid/hot -> rainy gave me throat infection.

At this point, I'm used to the heat because there's still electricity in hot weather which usually isn't case and the inverter does run out quickly when everyone uses 2 fans i.e ceiling and table fan. I do use air cooler if its too hot to bear.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 04, 2023, 10:36 PMBeen to the doctor and due to changing weather conditions from rainy -> very humid/hot -> rainy gave me throat infection.

What did the doctor diagnose? You're not exactly and old man. Your body's immune system should be a little stronger than that.

Quote from: Vasudev on September 04, 2023, 10:36 PMAt this point, I'm used to the heat because there's still electricity in hot weather which usually isn't case and the inverter does run out quickly when everyone uses 2 fans i.e ceiling and table fan. I do use air cooler if its too hot to bear.

Inverter? Where does your power come from? Don't you buy it from the local utility?

I'm surprised. In cooling by far the biggest power eater is the A/C's compressor. Ceiling and table fans use next to nothing in comparison. The air cooler you use? If this just a fan or one of those devices that cool the air by evaporating water?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 06, 2023, 05:07 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on September 04, 2023, 10:36 PMBeen to the doctor and due to changing weather conditions from rainy -> very humid/hot -> rainy gave me throat infection.

What did the doctor diagnose? You're not exactly and old man. Your body's immune system should be a little stronger than that.

Quote from: Vasudev on September 04, 2023, 10:36 PMAt this point, I'm used to the heat because there's still electricity in hot weather which usually isn't case and the inverter does run out quickly when everyone uses 2 fans i.e ceiling and table fan. I do use air cooler if its too hot to bear.

Inverter? Where does your power come from? Don't you buy it from the local utility?

I'm surprised. In cooling by far the biggest power eater is the A/C's compressor. Ceiling and table fans use next to nothing in comparison. The air cooler you use? If this just a fan or one of those devices that cool the air by evaporating water?

I'm nearing in my mid 30s.
I buy power from local grid and in case of power cuts due to maintenance and rains I use backup power with inverter.
Yes, that's the one which use evaporating water and a fan at high rpm to cool entire room.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 07, 2023, 06:08 PMI'm nearing in my mid 30s.
I buy power from local grid and in case of power cuts due to maintenance and rains I use backup power with inverter.
Yes, that's the one which use evaporating water and a fan at high rpm to cool entire room.

I'm not clear about something. AFAIK and inverter is a device that inverts DC into AC. A simple example is a UPS. When you're on your computer and power goes out, the UPS takes over. DC battery power goes through the inverter which converts it into 220v/50hz used in India. So I ask: what power source goes through your inverter.

You're a young man. I'll be 70 next year. I'm in reasonably good health and, unlike many others my chronological age, computers, technology, and science are my passion. I am not old. In fact I refuse to hang around with old people.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 08, 2023, 04:24 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on September 07, 2023, 06:08 PMI'm nearing in my mid 30s.

I'm not clear about something. AFAIK and inverter is a device that inverts DC into AC. A simple example is a UPS. When you're on your computer and power goes out, the UPS takes over. DC battery power goes through the inverter which converts it into 220v/50hz used in India. So I ask: what power source goes through your inverter.

You're a young man. I'll be 70 next year. I'm in reasonably good health and, unlike many others my chronological age, computers, technology, and science are my passion. I am not old. In fact I refuse to hang around with old people.
It is connected to lead acid battery for backup power and electricity is from local grid. The inverter is a smart inverter which can function as inverter and pure sine wave UPS.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 09, 2023, 11:31 PMIt is connected to lead acid battery for backup power and electricity is from local grid. The inverter is a smart inverter which can function as inverter and pure sine wave UPS.

Just one car battery? Have you checked how many watts it puts out when fully charged, or its capacity in kWh? It couldn't be that much. What do you run with it?

I assume you have an A/C powered charger for when power returns.

You're an engineer. Is it possible to buy 2 or 3 and run them as an array? Lead acid batteries are relatively cheap when compared to other technologies.

As for the inverter, as you know if you're running an electric motor you've go to go with pure sinewave. With a solid state device it doesn't really matter. The A/C input has to be converted back to DC for it to work.