• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 14, 2023, 05:33 AMIs that French bread in the picture? I don't think they call it that in France, but they do in Québec.
Yes it is a French piece of bread, if one considers that it's made in France, and with French wheat. But in France we don't say French bread, we just use the word "pain" (the pronunciation is different from that of the English word: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJKCuYX1TJ8).
It's probably because bread is typically a French product. If you are speaking of Pepsi, you don't say American Pepsi, because it's pretty obvious it's an American product. Well, it's not true for every soda though, since The German branch of Coca-Cola created Fanta (when the war made it difficult to get Coca-Cola syrup from the USA to Germany).

As for the term "French bread", used in Québec, it typically refers to a style of bread that has a crisp crust and chewy texture with a light interior crumb, such as the classic baguette. It's made with a simple list of ingredients: flour, water, yeast, and salt. In contrast, "American bread" particularly the type used for sandwiches or sold as pre-sliced in grocery stores, often has a softer crust and a more tender crumb, and it may contain added sugar, fats and preservatives. In France it can be found under the name "pain de mie" but this product is not a success (it can be used to make sandwiches). So if you see some bread and if it's French, it's probably a good product.

Note that there are different types of bread in France:
- La baguette
- Le pain de campagne (farmhouse bread)
- Le pain complet (whole wheat bread)
- Le pain de seigle (rye bread)
- Le pain au levain (sourdough bread)

humbert

The proper French pronunciation of "bread" (pain) is much closer to the Spanish word for it (pan), except that in French the the N is nasalized. Makes sence since they're both Romance languages.

If you walked into a bakery anywhere in this hemisphere and asked for "French bread", they would give you exactly what's in your picture. Given the fact that bread comes in many forms, you must specify "French bread" or they won't know what you're talking about. In Miami you can ask for Cuban bread and get something similar to what you show, but it's not exactly the same thing.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 20, 2023, 05:13 AMThe proper French pronunciation of "bread" (pain) is much closer to the Spanish word for it (pan), except that in French the the N is nasalized. Makes sence since they're both Romance languages.

If you walked into a bakery anywhere in this hemisphere and asked for "French bread", they would give you exactly what's in your picture. Given the fact that bread comes in many forms, you must specify "French bread" or they won't know what you're talking about. In Miami you can ask for Cuban bread and get something similar to what you show, but it's not exactly the same thing.
In the Spanish word pan, the n is pronounced, that's not the case in the French word pain.
Since you said that the N is nasalized I have researched on this topic and found out that it's actually the vowel that is nasalized (the n is silent).
There is a lot of words with silent ending consonants in French (petit, beaucoup...), but a few consonants are usually pronounced: q (cinq, coq), r (peur), b (club), g (viking).

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 20, 2023, 09:39 PMIn the Spanish word pan, the n is pronounced, that's not the case in the French word pain.
Since you said that the N is nasalized I have researched on this topic and found out that it's actually the vowel that is nasalized (the n is silent).
There is a lot of words with silent ending consonants in French (petit, beaucoup...), but a few consonants are usually pronounced: q (cinq, coq), r (peur), b (club), g (viking).

I heard somewhere that in French, if a word ends in a consonant then that consonant is silent. Is this true or is it the case of most works.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 22, 2023, 05:51 AM
Quote from: scarface on November 20, 2023, 09:39 PMIn the Spanish word pan, the n is pronounced, that's not the case in the French word pain.

I heard somewhere that in French, if a word ends in a consonant then that consonant is silent. Is this true or is it the case of most works.
Well, as I said it depends on the letter. If you want to read more about this, here is a little guide: https://elsafrenchteacher.com/silent-letters-french/

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another dish.

Look carefully at the photo below.

Shadow.97  and Vasudev have probably recognized the distinctive shape of the saucisson fermier.
Of course, a piece of bread (half a grain baguette on the photo) is required to savour this unique saucisson. Note that I can smell a strong odour: I'm not sure shadow.97  and Vasudev would be eager to taste it. However, it's not a pungent odor, it's rather reminiscent of the smell of dry wood. This saucisson will certainly highlight the noble part of the beast.

scarface

Tonight, I'm  going to show you another dish.

It's pretty obvious that it is a pizza. But if you look more closely, you can see mussels and shrimps...It's a seafood pizza.
It's probably a perfect recipe for your guests. Hubert, maher and Vasudev have probably noticed the black liquid in the glass. I thought that a bottle of red wine, actually a Saint Chinian, would pair well with this pizza.
Now, if you look at the top right of the photo, you can see a tool: it is designed to cut the saucisson. This one was painted by my mother, so I use it as a decorative object.
I'm waiting for your comments.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 24, 2023, 10:14 PMIt's pretty obvious that it is a pizza. But if you look more closely, you can see mussels and shrimps...It's a seafood pizza.

I almost never eat pizza, but when I do I make sure the maximum it has is pepperoni. If someone gives me a pizza with more, I have to spend time removing unwanted garbage. It reminds me of just about any operating system you install today: you have to spend several hours just removing unwanted garbage -- and garbage, and more garbage.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 25, 2023, 05:39 AMI almost never eat pizza, but when I do I make sure the maximum it has is pepperoni. If someone gives me a pizza with more, I have to spend time removing unwanted garbage. It reminds me of just about any operating system you install today: you have to spend several hours just removing unwanted garbage -- and garbage, and more garbage.
It turns out there is no pepperoni on this one. It is made of tomato puree, Edam cheese, mussels, shrimps, black olives, onions... You would remove everything then.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another dish.

It's a shrimp and rice recipe. It would have been better with lemon and garlic though. Note that it's necessary to pull off the outer shell of shrimp and crayfish.
I'm not sure humbert and Vasudev would enjoy this meal. You can tell us if you would eat this kind of dish.

But eating seafood is not that easy, you are going to see it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtFRDOEI2Rg