• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 26, 2023, 12:42 AMIt turns out there is no pepperoni on this one. It is made of tomato puree, Edam cheese, mussels, shrimps, black olives, onions... You would remove everything then.

Well.. maybe not all of it. I'd keep the shrimp assuming it's in small pieces, and the onions. I've never heard of Edam cheese so I'm not sure. I hate olives. I won't touch the pizza until they're gone.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another dish.

Look carefully at the photo below.

In the first photo, you can see a slice of pork leg (rouelle de porc in French). Humbert  was wondering if there is an alternative to oven cooking for pork meat. The special device used here is a cooking pot in aluminium (un faitout in French), and it's very efficient to cook the meat. The lid must be used when you want to trap heat and moisture. Once the pork meat is in the cooking pot, cover and leave to simmer on the hob.
I guess that the parents of humbert used to have a cast iron Dutch oven, which can be used similarly to a cooking pot in aluminium.

humbert

Are the potatoes and pork cooked in the same pot at the same time, or separately?

Also, is this an induction cooker that uses magnetic fields instead of heat? If so, does the pot get hot faster or what? What advantages does it have over a conventional electric cooker that uses highly resistant wires to produce heat?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on December 07, 2023, 04:32 AMAre the potatoes and pork cooked in the same pot at the same time, or separately?

Also, is this an induction cooker that uses magnetic fields instead of heat? If so, does the pot get hot faster or what? What advantages does it have over a conventional electric cooker that uses highly resistant wires to produce heat?
Actually, it's possible to cook the potatoes and the pork leg at the same time, but the pork has to be cooked for at least 40 minutes, while the potatoes must be cooked for 5 minutes, so it is preferable to put the potatoes in the pot when the meat is almost cooked. This is indeed an induction cooker, the pot heats quickly. The aluminium cooking pot is compatible with induction.
I think It's faster to use the hob instead of the oven, because it's not needed to pre-heat the oven. From a thermal transfer perspective, heating a pot on the stove heats the food at the bottom of the pot faster than the food at the top of the pot, especially if it is something that you do not plan to stir much. In an oven, the heat being applied is the same all over the pot, so the food inside will be cooked more evenly. For many dishes this difference does not matter. In the current case, even if the lid allows to retain heat in the interior of the pot, it's needed to flip the meat to ensure even cooking.

aa1234779 and shadow.97 probably know that it's not allowed to eat pork meat in Islam. However, it is specified in the Quran that it's allowed to eat pork meat if there is no other choice.
In this video, you can see the various types of meat allowed in Islam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySD5h8cdcMU

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 07, 2023, 08:47 PMIn an oven, the heat being applied is the same all over the pot, so the food inside will be cooked more evenly. For many dishes this difference does not matter. In the current case, even if the lid allows to retain heat in the interior of the pot, it's needed to flip the meat to ensure even cooking.

How does it work in an induction stove? Does the heat come from the bottom as in a regular stove or it distributed evenly throughout the aluminum pot? I've never seen one in action.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on December 08, 2023, 05:25 AMHow does it work in an induction stove? Does the heat come from the bottom as in a regular stove or it distributed evenly throughout the aluminum pot? I've never seen one in action.
Well, in the case of this "Tefal faitout", the heat comes from the bottom, because only the bottom is magnetic, so the rest of the pot doesn't heat.
I took a photo, you can see that the bottom of the pot is probably in inox (this is what is in contact with the hob).

Utensils made of glass (including Pyrex), aluminum or copper are not induction compatible. That being said, some manufacturers offer aluminum or copper pans with a magnetic bottom specifically designed for induction cooktops, as is the case here. Classic cast iron pots are heavier, more durable, and retain heat longer than aluminum pots. Aluminum cookware can scratch and dent easily too. This one is equipped with non-stick coating.

humbert

So basically the cooker generates a magnetic field whiches induces the molecules in the pot to move around and produce heat. Is this basically correct? If so, then for obvious reasons Pyrex or anything non-metallic won't work.

Is it also correct to say that a pot will work if you can get a simple magnet to cling to it? Or is it more correct to say that anything that conducts electricity will work? Of course copper conducts electricity, but will a magnet stick to it? I can't test that right now because I do have some refrigerator magnets but not a copper pot.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on December 10, 2023, 05:49 AMSo basically the cooker generates a magnetic field whiches induces the molecules in the pot to move around and produce heat. Is this basically correct? If so, then for obvious reasons Pyrex or anything non-metallic won't work.

Is it also correct to say that a pot will work if you can get a simple magnet to cling to it? Or is it more correct to say that anything that conducts electricity will work? Of course copper conducts electricity, but will a magnet stick to it? I can't test that right now because I do have some refrigerator magnets but not a copper pot.
A pot will work if you can get a simple magnet to cling to it indeed (at least to its bottom). It's not related to electrical induction, which is transfer of electricity without a physical contact.
Copper is not magnetic. Copper or aluminium pans would not work unless they have additional layers added onto the bottom that are magnetic.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another dish.

Look carefully at the photo below.

Vasudev and shadow.97 must be thinking that it looks like a white chocolate Yule log (photo below)

Actually, it's a roast pork stuffed with morels.
How long does it really take to cook this? humbert and Guliver certainly want to know. I'm going to put it in the "faitout" and see how long it takes.

Finally, it took exactly 55 minutes to cook this rĂ´ti. After 40 minutes, I made a notch into the meat but it wasn't cooked.
 It's important for pork meat to be well-cooked if you want to avoid tapeworm infection.

humbert

That last image. It appears to be a sweet roll of some sort. Are those black things raisins?

The chocolate Yule log. It looks like a cake. Did you cook it yourself or did you buy it at a bakery? Certainly looks delicious. Assuming it's all for you it'll take a week to eat it all.

What exactly are morels?

Those green things on the right? Are they green beans? According to Google the French translation is "haricots", although I'm not sure this is accurate.