• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

good movies

Started by scarface, March 01, 2013, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on December 11, 2018, 07:20 AMI was confused at first but now with your interpretation it is easier to understand.

Yes. Sometimes banal movies have a deeper meaning. That's the case with Swimming pool. That's the case with Fight club too. The movie is violent, but if you scratch the surface, it is calling into question a society based on efficiency and individualism.

Note that I corrected my review about Swimming pool, and therefore your message. Indeed, I jotted down a note in French, and then translated it with google translate. Not because I'm not able to do it, but because it's quicker. I noted that serveur had been translated incorrectly as server, but I forgot one occurrence. Indeed, serveur means both waiter and server in French.

By the way, here is an interesting review that I found about Fight Club:
The narrator's shifting from himself into Tyler Durden was a bit of a profundity because, when he was Tyler, he spoke with confidence and people followed. He was a bit like Jesus in the way he was charismatic.
Look at it this way, the Narrator (We'll call him Jack since that's who he is in the book) is always answering to someone. Jack doesn't have any real lust for life. He seeks answers but doesn't seem to find anything other than the superficial. It's bothering him. Jack can't sleep because he's never had a truly spiritual experience. Then, when he's Tyler, he confirms this because when he's Tyler, he says this:
"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."
Juxtapose that against what he said to Jack in the bar over three pitchers of beer which means that Jack had three pitchers of beer and discussed this entire thing with himself.
"We are consumers. We're the by-products of a lifestyle obsession."
The problem is that Jack is lifestyle obsessed. I mean he is absolutely consumed by it. He even states that he was nearly complete. What does that even mean.

Then Tyler starts to manifest. Just look at the guy. It's really obvious he doesn't give two shits what you or I would think of him. He dresses how he wants when he wants and isn't bothered by what anyone may think of him. He lives in a house that, by all rights, should be condemned. He's on the bottom, rock bottom and he doesn't give a ****. He's not a consumer. He's the kind of guy who doesn't give a **** about the latest cologne. He's Jack's exact polar opposite. Jack feels ineffectual, Tyler is charismatic and takes charge. Jack doesn't seem to have a lot of luck with the ladies, Tyler is into sport-*******. Jack is lying to police about his apartment, Tyler would be more than happy to tell the cops, " **** you guys I blew it up because I just couldn't take the soul-rending bullshit of being almost complete anymore."

Tyler amasses a following and Fight Club morphs into Project Mayhem because, in Tyler's Mind, these people want to be led to Tyler's promised land. There's adventure and wonder there. There's danger. There's the ability to be shaken up the core. Tyler has found a need. People no longer want to be chained to that nine to five where they have no incentive to pursue their dreams, these people that follow Tyler want to be anarchistic in their freedom. They want to answer to no one. They want what Tyler has. They don't want masters but they don't know how to get there so, for now, they accept Tyler as their master, knowing that, at some point, they'll be required to get from Point A to Point B on their own spiritually.

scarface

Tonight the users of the forum are very calm. Nobody is speaking on the forum. Maybe they are a bit bored, or even worse, depressed?
That's why 2 new episodes of the X-files are available on the forum.

The X-files - miracle man
https://mega.nz/#!NJNwiIqS!FRzkNVl3zerzjBa2iJFUS0PLFO_Hkk0AHfKa0pg0yGA

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on December 14, 2018, 02:43 PM
Tonight, the French movie Student services, released in 2010, is available on the forum.
Note that this movie might not be suitable for everyone of the forum, and I'm thinking about akaubee or usman.

After an initial stage of ambivalence and hesitation, I finally decided to upload this movie for the forum. There is no doubt humbert and aa1234779 will enjoy this film. But what about the school boys or the least fortunate of the forum, who could recognize themselves in Laura D.?
In all likelihood, this movie won't turn out to be a mirror reflecting their inner world.

My opinion: In the first 20 minutes of the movie, the predicament of the young student induces a state of queasy anticipation. The scenes with a world of lurid colors are intertwined with darker scenes. The viewers of the forum will certainly notice the stark contrast between the young student and the elderly customers.

The story:
Laura D. is a modern language student at a Paris university who desperately wants to do well in school. She works a part-time job but cannot make ends meet. One evening in which she is short of funds, she answers a personal ad online by "Joe," 57, who seeks a female student for "tender moments." The pay is  per hour. Laura pledges to do this just once, and three days later, she goes to a hotel room with Joe. And then her spiral begins.

In French with English subtitles.
Link: https://mega.nz/#!LN5SmYqB!elkB2xWfdv1tqx7gAOL_Zyib32aewT6Muz1S-xFXUDA

I liked the movie very much!
I watched my X files for the first time. I thought it was a spoof like naked gun.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on December 29, 2018, 08:19 AM
I watched my X files for the first time. I thought it was a spoof like naked gun.
When I was in secondary school, I was a fan of this series. But it was a bit frightening.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on December 29, 2018, 12:11 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 29, 2018, 08:19 AM
When I was in secondary school, I was a fan of this series. But it was a bit frightening.
I jump forward sometimes to avoid those scenes.

scarface

Today, the movie Cypher is available on the forum.

The story:
An unsuspecting, disenchanted man finds himself working as a spy in the dangerous, high-stakes world of corporate espionage. Quickly getting way over-his-head, he teams up with a mysterious femme fatale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1RfvKe12E

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to talk about the movie Unseen enemy.

Unseen Enemy is an essential exploration of reasons 21st-century populations are experiencing a rash of diseases that were once only outbreaks, but have now become full-blown epidemics. This increased risk that we face, and the ways society and individuals can work together to reduce that risk, are explained to the public through the case studies of three epidemics: Ebola, influenza and Zika. Moving across the globe, we meet doctors, disease detectives and everyday people who have stepped into the horror of an epidemic and emerged deeply changed. Epidemics bring out the best and worst of human behavior, with effects reaching far beyond the tolls of sickness and death.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on January 17, 2019, 08:27 PM
Tonight, the movie Unseen enemy is available on the forum.

Unseen Enemy is an essential exploration of reasons 21st-century populations are experiencing a rash of diseases that were once only outbreaks, but have now become full-blown epidemics. This increased risk that we face, and the ways society and individuals can work together to reduce that risk, are explained to the public through the case studies of three epidemics: Ebola, influenza and Zika. Moving across the globe, we meet doctors, disease detectives and everyday people who have stepped into the horror of an epidemic and emerged deeply changed. Epidemics bring out the best and worst of human behavior, with effects reaching far beyond the tolls of sickness and death.

https://mega.nz/#!xdsymAoI!s47cRVSSOrGyVXThM3sX0hFdHUkvVSxjUPFC4frLEHg

I just grabbed of copy of Johnny English Strikes again from tpb 720p version.
I've lot of movies to esp. Fahrenheit,cypher,deadpool 2 and few others as well.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 17, 2019, 08:27 PM
This increased risk that we face, and the ways society and individuals can work together to reduce that risk, are explained to the public through the case studies of three epidemics: Ebola, influenza and Zika. Moving across the globe, we meet doctors, disease detectives and everyday people who have stepped into the horror of an epidemic and emerged deeply changed. Epidemics bring out the best and worst of human behavior, with effects reaching far beyond the tolls of sickness and death.

I haven't seen the movie but I do know the situation with epidemics is not as bad as it seems, and improving. Back in the 1980's HIV was a death sentence. Today that's no longer the case. A few years ago we were helpless against ebola. There are now vaccines and better methods of treatment. Cases or ebola are down, survivorship is up. Despite the fact that both your father and mine died of cancer, even there survivorship is much higher than it used to be, and slowly increasing as time passes. Some 12 years ago I survived cancer. If it had been 20 years earlier I would not be posting this message today.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on January 20, 2019, 06:33 AM
There are now vaccines and better methods of treatment. Cases or ebola are down, survivorship is up. Despite the fact that both your father and mine died of cancer, even there survivorship is much higher than it used to be, and slowly increasing as time passes. Some 12 years ago I survived cancer. If it had been 20 years earlier I would not be posting this message today.
What cancer did you have?
Concerning diseases spread by mosquitoes, I'm a bit pessimistic, because the effects of climate change will allow some species to go where they were not able to go before. Before 2008 there was no tiger mosquito in France.
For example, I was in the South of France this summer (actually somewhere between Lyon and Marseille), and I stumbled upon a tiger mosquito (I killed him so I was able to check that). I had never seen one before. some users of the forum like you, Maher or Vasudev probably know it already. They need warm climates but they are unable to live in the desert. With warmer Winters, they are rapidly spreading to Northern Europe and Northern America.
https://www.climatecentral.org/gallery/maps/heres-where-winters-are-warming-the-most
The tiger mosquito range