• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

anamorphosis maps

Started by scarface, March 31, 2013, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

You've got to admire the people of Japan. 100 million people living on 4 volcanic islands with almost no natural resources, and yet they managed to form a massive empire. Despite being the only people on this planet who were ever nuked, the country not only survived but managed to become an economic power not even 20 years after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Imagine those people in a country such as [for example] Colombia, which is full of natural resources. They'd take over the world.

As for Japan's population getting old, I'm surprised you'd see that as something bad given that this mean the birth rate is declining, which will inevitably drop the population. I always hear you complain of huge population densities elsewhere.

Sometimes I think you're like the typical woman complainer: when you put it in, she screams, but when you take it out, she cries.  ;) ;D

scarface

In the previous discussions, I have talked about Palestine, and I have found a map which shows the gdp per person. It's always interesting to know these figures when you are traveling, because they are usually an indicator of the level of education of the persons and of economic development.
On this map we can see that it is the region around the capital Jerusalem which is the most wealthy, ramallah being the second region, and the Gaza strip which is the poorest and this is perhaps explaining the current problems.. Anyway this map is probably outdated because the recent figures I found show a very big gap between west bank and Gaza.

For Europe you have this map, and it's usually correlated with the level of education of people. 

If you don't speak spanish or polish, don't go to Spain or to Poland, they won't understand you (perhaps in Barcelona, although I'm not sure)
A few years ago I had been to the south of Spain, in the town of Alicante. And I had been amazed by the dirt in the streets, and by the complete inability of the people in the streets to speak English (even though it's a beautiful town). One day I remember that I needed a stamp but I didn't know how to translate that or how to say post office. I asked that in several shops and nobody had been able to answer. When you know that it's a touristic region, it's a little worrying for these people not to understand the basics in English. On the contrary, I've met German people and they were always excellent at English. As for the English, well, unfortunately they don't care, because they already speak English. I knew a man near Norwich, and he was supposedly learning French, but he never spoke to me in French, It was more a burden for him than anything else.

humbert

Logic alone tells you what people who make more money or live in areas that do are much more educated than those who don't. Many poor people hardly get more than a few years of basic schooling.

Regarding Spain, have you travelled to other parts of that country? Would you say the situation is not as bad as in Alicante?

Regarding languages, there's another important factor to consider. Europe is tiny compared to nations in the Western Hemisphere and Africa. Also, just about every country uses a different language with a few exceptions, so we're talking many 25 languages in a small amount of space. Not surprisingly, many Europeans speak 3 or more. The Western Hemisphere uses only 5 European [official] languages and many more indigenous dialects which are barely even spoken. From the Rio Grande (US-Mexico border) south all the way to Cape Horn you have Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil) and the 3 other languages in the Guyanas. From the Rio Grande all the way to the North Pole you have English and French in Quebéc Province. All that territory, all those people, just those few languages - no wonder here it's so hard to find someone who speaks 3 languages.

scarface

I'm adding a new gridded population cartogram generated over the whole surface of Earth. It divides the world into equal spaces of population. Today, China, India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Bangladesh and Japan are together more populated than the rest of the word.
Perhaps you will be able to see your country.

The map is a bit different for tourism:
The world major tourist destination.

And the one of the origin of refugees...the winner being Syria

A map for life expectancy...

scarface

In this new message, you will find a few recent population density maps.

The United States:

Central America:

Pakistan:

India

Taiwan

Sweden

scarface

Today, I'm adding a new population density map, the one of Lebanon.

One third of the population is concentrated in the suburb of Beirut, while the East is more sparsely populated, because it is mountainous.

I'm taking this opportunity to give you a few comments about Lebanon which is a beautiful country, as we can see on these photos.
Beirut:

scarface

I know that the users of the forum are particularly interested in these maps. That's why tonight I'm adding another cartogram.

Top Export by Revenue in Middle East Economies

humbert

Regarding the map of the Middle East, what difference is there between Oil, Crude Oil and Petroleum? Is it that some countries refine the oil they dig out of the ground before selling it?

scarface

Note that a few cartograms were added in the first message.

scarface

Note that I added new maps in the first message of this topic.
I will post a new economic cartogram with explanations soon