• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Internet Download Manager 6.28 Build 16

Started by Maher, May 26, 2013, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 18, 2017, 09:31 AM
Try running Adwcleaner.

Honestly I don't think it's necessary. This thing continues running well and I'm not seeing any trouble anywhere.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 20, 2017, 07:34 AM
Try running Adwcleaner.

Honestly I don't think it's necessary. This thing continues running well and I'm not seeing any trouble anywhere.
Did you buy Pascal GPUs? Thinking of Ryzen CPUs for next upgrade?

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 20, 2017, 09:53 AM

With respect to Pascal, I went into NVidia's web site for some more information. I'm not too sure if this is an AI device or a new GPU architecture for the video cards. Regarding Ryzen, the tests and reviews out so far are giving it some very high marks. As I'm sure you know by now, Intel is fighting back with it Core i9 family of processors. Isn't competition a wonderful thing?

What will I get when my i7-4790K and GTX-970 gets old? It depends on what's on the market and, of course, how much I can afford.  :)

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 22, 2017, 07:17 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 20, 2017, 09:53 AM

With respect to Pascal, I went into NVidia's web site for some more information. I'm not too sure if this is an AI device or a new GPU architecture for the video cards. Regarding Ryzen, the tests and reviews out so far are giving it some very high marks. As I'm sure you know by now, Intel is fighting back with it Core i9 family of processors. Isn't competition a wonderful thing?

What will I get when my i7-4790K and GTX-970 gets old? It depends on what's on the market and, of course, how much I can afford.  :)
I don't think your hardware is too old or ancient. I actually used the Nvidia codename for 10 series GPU. Stick with 4790K for now, because latest ones( dubbed the i9) are crippled by Intel since they're fighting with AMD. GTX 970 can do VR and run most demanding things. Hell, its better than my 980M. Did you know that you can replace your laptop and desktop with DTR laptop from Clevo?

MikeTheBoy

@humbert and @MikeTheBoy
Try running Adwcleaner.

I ran all the stuff suggested at Bleeping Computer to remove PC Clean Plus (more than once):
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-pc-clean-plus

- RKill
- Zemana
- AdwCleaner
- HitmanPro

So far, so good.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 22, 2017, 08:44 AM
I don't think your hardware is too old or ancient. I actually used the Nvidia codename for 10 series GPU. Stick with 4790K for now, because latest ones( dubbed the i9) are crippled by Intel since they're fighting with AMD. GTX 970 can do VR and run most demanding things. Hell, its better than my 980M. Did you know that you can replace your laptop and desktop with DTR laptop from Clevo?

Notice that in my post I said I'll see what's available when it's time to update. It's not time yet, my hardware is still OK. Also, the notion that Intel would cripple the i9 makes no sense given that fact that now with the Ryzen they're facing the first real competitive threat in several years. You can bet borrowed money they'll do everything possible to stay at the top of the heap.

I was seeing the specs on the Clevo. Great machine if you've got a minimum of $2255 to spare (that's the cheapest one). A top-of-the-line desktop you assemble yourself is probably 40% of that. Besides, remember that a laptop is still a laptop. In my opinion, portability is it's only advantage. I'd much prefer to sit at my comfortably at my desk in front of my 28" 4K monitor than carry this thing around.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 23, 2017, 04:34 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 22, 2017, 08:44 AM

Notice that in my post I said I'll see what's available when it's time to update. It's not time yet, my hardware is still OK. Also, the notion that Intel would cripple the i9 makes no sense given that fact that now with the Ryzen they're facing the first real competitive threat in several years. You can bet borrowed money they'll do everything possible to stay at the top of the heap.

I was seeing the specs on the Clevo. Great machine if you've got a minimum of $2255 to spare (that's the cheapest one). A top-of-the-line desktop you assemble yourself is probably 40% of that. Besides, remember that a laptop is still a laptop. In my opinion, portability is it's only advantage. I'd much prefer to sit at my comfortably at my desk in front of my 28" 4K monitor than carry this thing around.
yeah clevo's are expensive yet you get desktop CPU & GPU performance.

humbert

Personally I see no reason to use a laptop unless you absolutely need portability. Desktops are more convenient, comfortable to use, cheaper and much more configurable.

Returning to CPU's, I was reading that AMD is about to release the Ryzen 9 (a.k.a., Threadripper). This beast will have 16 cores, 32 threads. Clock speed is unknown at this time. It has 44 PCIe lanes, quad-channel RAM support on the X390 or X399 chipset, and runs on the SP3 socket with 4,094 pins. For starters this will go head to head against Intel's Core i7-6950X, and later against the i9. All the more reason Intel is in no position to cripple the i9.

Before I forget - the only way to take full advantage of these hi-end CPU's is to run Windows 10. MS has confirmed it will NOT write drivers and/or other software for these new CPU's for Windows 8.11 or older. So if you manage to get yourself one of these beasts, don't even dream of not upgrading to W10. I'm saying this because once a guy on our forum bought himself a top-of-the-line Core i7 with 16 GB of RAM - and installed XP on his new system because it's "what he knows"  :o. He then complained his new system only reported 2.9 GB free RAM. Go figure!

Vasudev

@Humbert: I'm slowly transitioning myself into OC enthusiast league. Did break some records on HWBOT (v56m) with 6700 HQ CPU. With GTX 980 i need some tweaking and needs some years so that OS can take advantage of it.
If you see Intel Lineup core i9, there is less PCIe lanes, expensive and no backward compatibility for future Cannon Lake pin to pin compatibility. With SW tweaks Intel will pull ahead for sometime eventually people will buy AMD even if its 1-5 pts behind Intel in some benchmark, because in real world there is no difference at all. $5000 for Intel high end versus $3000 for AMD high end.
There is a hack that will deliver updates and microcode patches to new Intel Kaby and AMD Ryzen for w7 and 8.1.

humbert

@Vasu - If you're overclocking be sure to use the best cooler you can find. Personally I prefer not to overclock my system. It might produce instability and the extra CPU cycles don't make any difference with the apps I run.

Check out this article concerning what is known about Intel's Core i9. The i9 uses 44 PCIe lanes just like the Ryzen 9. If you really want to take on AMD and remain at the top, forget about backward compatibility when it comes to sockets. More data needs more pins. Besides, if you can afford this thing, the very least of your worries should be backward compatibility. Notice that the release price is rumored to be $1,999 for the top-of-the-line Core i9 7980XE - nowhere near $5000, not even with a new mobo and 32 GB RAM. You can guarantee that the Ryzen 9 1998X will be at least 40% cheaper. Also, keep in mind these are release prices - you can bet borrowed money those prices will come down as time passes.