• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugg007

When will the june edition links be ready?

scarface

Free accounts are purposely done to be slow. But I checked uploaded.net, I didnt understand everything because of German, but I guess 5$ is not very expensive. If you have a legit key, you must have paid much more for it.

scarface

To Fuj: I think that Maher gets a small reward if you are downloading by using a premium account.
if you spend 1$/â,¬ every month, you'll be up to 12 at the end of the year. Even if you don't need it, it's not an amazing amount. Today I stepped over a guy lying completely on the sidewalk, a bottle of cheap wine beside him. This man (or beast) is probably spending much more than you for things he doesn't really need.

(You have to know that the real winners about these uploading sites are their owner. The owner of uploaded.to had been condemned for copyright infringement a long time ago. He was driving a Lamborghini...)

scarface

I've made a little script in nsis. This script is writing useful keys in the registry for windows 7. It has not been tested though. You just have to copy this in notepad, change the extension to .nsi then it only requires to be compiled with nsis. The exe can be launched silently using the switch /S
Look at the section SEC01 to see what it's doing.
*corrected

;NSIS SETUP SCRIPT FOR Reg by scarface75:

!define PRODUCT_NAME "Reg"
!define PRODUCT_PUBLISHER "Reg"

SetCompressor bzip2

!include "MUI.nsh"
!include LogicLib.nsh

!macro VerifyUserIsAdmin
UserInfo::GetAccountType
pop $0
${If} $0 != "admin" ;Require admin rights on NT4+
        messageBox mb_iconstop "Administrator rights required!"
        setErrorLevel 740 ;ERROR_ELEVATION_REQUIRED
        quit
${EndIf}
!macroend

function .onInit
setShellVarContext all
!insertmacro VerifyUserIsAdmin
functionEnd
!define MUI_ABORTWARNING
!define MUI_COMPONENTSPAGE_SMALLDESC
;;;;;;;;;;;;

!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_WELCOME
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_COMPONENTS
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_DIRECTORY
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_FINISH
!insertmacro MUI_UNPAGE_INSTFILES
!insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE "English"
!insertmacro MUI_RESERVEFILE_INSTALLOPTIONS

Name "regtweaks"
Caption "regtweaks"
OutFile "reg.exe"
InstallDir "$PROGRAMFILES\Reg"
AutoCloseWindow false
ShowInstDetails hide
ShowUnInstDetails hide

Section "Reg (required)" SEC01
;disable aero snap
WriteRegStr HKCU "Control Panel\Desktop" "MenuShowDelay" "0"
WriteRegStr HKCU "Control Panel\Desktop" "WindowArrangementActive" "0"
;tweak configuration panel (force classic control panel-disable unecessary cpl items)
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" "DisallowCpl" "1"
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" "ForceClassicControlPanel" "1"
;maximise mouse speed
WriteRegStr HKCU "Control Panel\Mouse" "MouseSensitivity" "20"
;add start menu run entry and other settings
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" "SuperHidden" "0"
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" "Start_ShowRun" "1"
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" "Start_ShowVideos" "0"
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" "Start_MinMFU" "a"
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" "Start_JumpListItems" "a"
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" "Start_AdminToolsRoot" "0"
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" "StartMenuAdminTools" "0"
WriteRegDWORD HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" "Start_PowerButtonAction" "2"

SectionEnd

!insertmacro MUI_FUNCTION_DESCRIPTION_BEGIN
!insertmacro MUI_DESCRIPTION_TEXT ${SEC01} "Install Reg on your computer."
!insertmacro MUI_FUNCTION_DESCRIPTION_END

scarface

Mr Fuj sent me a mail and made an interesting remark: It's not mandatory to be an administrator to write hkcu keys, only hklm, that's right. Anyway, I won't change the script. You can delete the part checking if the account is administrator.
Perhaps Fuj can do another task: search the keys that disable sleep when the laptop is plugged or when closing the lid. I could do it but Im weary.

Note that sysprep doesnt capture changes in hkcu keys. That's why this script can be useful. There is another method to apply these keys which consists in loading the hive with wintoolkit, but this is tedious.

scarface

Hibernation can be disabled with this key, I already knew that as I disabled it:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
"HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000000

I was talking about actions taken when closing lid and time to sleep.
In fact, I have checked, the keys are there
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes
I thought these settings were hkcu keys too.

scarface

I think these keys should put the computer to sleep to never and put the close lid to do nothing.
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e\4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347\5ca83367-6e45-459f-a27b-476b1d01c936\ACSettingIndex: 0x00000000
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c\238c9fa8-0aad-41ed-83f4-97be242c8f20\29f6c1db-86da-48c5-9fdb-f2b67b1f44da\ACSettingIndex: 0x00000000
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c\4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347\5ca83367-6e45-459f-a27b-476b1d01c936\ACSettingIndex: 0x00000000
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a\4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347\5ca83367-6e45-459f-a27b-476b1d01c936\ACSettingIndex: 0x00000000

No matter though. For anyone using sysprep they are not necessary, the settings will be kept.

sjhvbjhb28o93aujh

Hi Maher.

I am getting a problem installing. It shows "Windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk is of the GPT partition style".
I have 4 partition. I have formatted 3 of them but I can't format the fourth because I have my work. How can I fix it?

here my four partition

Asus Recovery
System
Work (E:)
ASUS (C:)

humbert

The problem is due to the fact that Windows 7 doesn't support GPT, and this is how your disk is partitioned. Two possible solutions:

1) Lose the ancient Windows 7 and go to Windows 8 or 8.1 - they support GPT perfectly.

2) Delete all partitions on your drive and create them again, only this time do it with Windows 7 which supports the old MBR. If you insist on sticking with W7, then go into your BIOS and disable GPT.

Ahmad

Quote from: sjhvbjhb28o93aujh on July 08, 2014, 01:35 PM
Hi Maher.

I am getting a problem installing. It shows "Windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk is of the GPT partition style".
I have 4 partition. I have formatted 3 of them but I can't format the fourth because I have my work. How can I fix it?

This link may help..
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-cannot-be-installed-on-this-disk-the/8fa72a3e-10c5-47da-a040-1e0db62af309
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.