• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

[email protected] sent this message:
"Installed windows 10 but i cannot see windows 7 or xp over the network. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you"
I don't have time to answer but you can probably answer him.

I'm going to provide him with a few clues though:
Check your firewall
You must have the same domain, and a different name for each pc.
If possible use a rj45 cable even if it can work in wifi.
On a local network you must be able to ping each pc, try this to see which pc can't see the other.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on May 31, 2018, 10:15 AM
"Installed windows 10 but i cannot see windows 7 or xp over the network. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you"

Check your firewall
On a local network you must be able to ping each pc, try this to see which pc can't see the other.
I suppose he/she was asking about homegroup function which was removed in new w10.
As you suggested, he/she needs to enable discovery for other devices when same network is used if its private/work network.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on May 31, 2018, 04:56 PM
Quote from: scarface on May 31, 2018, 10:15 AM

Check your firewall
I suppose he/she was asking about homegroup function which was removed in new w10.
As you suggested, he/she needs to enable discovery for other devices when same network is used if its private/work network.
I didnt know that.

The other solution is to use a ftp server. To access it you'll have an adress like ftp://192.168.1.xx

shhnedo

Clean Windows 7 Pro SP1 May 2018(updates, .NET 4.7.2, DirectX 9.0c)
x64: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:EB78ADE72D255FD607F06F44E48DE75B1E9CCA7C
x86: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:19CC07858DEAE2D193E52E1A6C44DA0FBD688A74

My very own, if anyone is interested. Magnets are well seeded.

Shadow.97

Found this somewhere on the interwebs. I've not tried it, and do not intend to try it.
But thought one of you scientists might be interested.
The below is just copy pasted.

"How to bypass the Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) eligibility check, and receive updates until 2023.
1. Install update KB4490628 https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4490628
2. Install update KB4474419 https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4474419
3. Reboot
4. Install update KB4536952 https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4536952
5. Install BypassESU** https://gitlab.com/stdout12/adns/uploads/4dc079c2bb172696b22e64cf361daa55/BypassESU-v3.zip
6. Install update KB4528069 https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4528069

** SHA-1: 008fa84c72ed4c847581a2e24380ddd6f688ef99
SHA-256: b91db8c84b3fb2b2ef9bb7201fa7d8e4e497020fc27fb73de305eede60d2e7c6

Source: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/bypass-windows-7-extended-security-updates-eligibility.80606/"

scarface

To shadow.97: I will release a finale, and super light version for windows 7 x64. I think there is no need to install extra security updates, as long as you don't use internet explorer, but another browser. It's a way for Microsoft to earn money since they charge exorbitant fees for this support.

Note that the new version of windows 10 x64 is ready (it's being uploaded). The latest updates as well as new programs are included. I repacked some programs but the installers were not installing Startmenu shortcuts (during the installation of windows, it was working if not deployed).
I had to modify the nsis installers, once again. The $SMPROGRAMS variable was not able to install the shortcuts in the right folder (this is a common problem: https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/issues/783)
Now it's working. I created the "systemdrive" variable and used it to create a shortcut for all users.
For information, here is the code. I will try to add a few more repacked programs in the next versions.
; NSIS script (UTF-8) NSIS-3 Unicode BadCmd=11
; Install

Unicode true
SetCompressor /SOLID lzma
SetCompressorDictSize 8

OutFile smartcopy2.exe
!include WinMessages.nsh

InstallDirRegKey HKLM Software\smartcopy ""
LicenseBkColor /windows

Name smartcopy
BrandingText "smartcopy"

LangString LSTR_77 1033 "Show &details"
LangString LSTR_78 1033 Completed

Var _17_

; Page 0
Page custom func_24 /ENABLECANCEL

; Page 1
Page instfiles
  CompletedText $(LSTR_78)    ;  Completed
  DetailsButtonText $(LSTR_77)    ;  "Show &details"

Function func_24    ; Page 0, Pre
  nsDialogs::Create 1044 
  Pop $_17_
  SetCtlColors $_17_ 0x000000 0xFFFFFF
  nsDialogs::Show
FunctionEnd

function .onInit
  ReadEnvStr $R0 SYSTEMDRIVE
    StrCpy $INSTDIR `$R0`
  FunctionEnd

Section "Smartcopy Core Files (required)" ; Section_0
  SectionIn 1 2 3 RO
  SetDetailsPrint textonly
  DetailPrint "Installing Smartcopy Core Files..."
  SetDetailsPrint listonly
   SetOutPath "$INSTDIR\Programs\Smartcopy"
  SetOverwrite on
File "Smartcopy.exe"
SectionEnd

Section "Start Menu and Desktop Shortcuts" ; Section_1
  SectionIn 1 2
  SetDetailsPrint textonly
  DetailPrint "Installing Start Menu and Desktop Shortcuts..."
  SetDetailsPrint listonly
CreateDirectory "$INSTDIR\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Smartcopy"
CreateShortCut "$INSTDIR\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Smartcopy\Smartcopy.lnk" "$INSTDIR/Programs\Smartcopy\Smartcopy.exe"
SectionEnd

humbert

Ever since I've been playing around with computers I've seen the same resistance to upgrades. When Windows 3.0 came out in 1990, many people wanted to stick to plain DOS. The same happened with every operating system upgrade since then, ranging from Windows 95 all the way to Windows 10. The only upgrades people did skip (justifiably) were Windows ME and Vista since they were 2 major flops.

When will people understand that can't stay on your old operating system forever? Eventually you MUST upgrade, there is no alternative, so better sooner than later. Even those people stuck with old hardware must eventually upgrade. It will ge to the point where new software will not run on their old devices.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on January 18, 2020, 04:57 AM
Ever since I've been playing around with computers I've seen the same resistance to upgrades. When Windows 3.0 came out in 1990, many people wanted to stick to plain DOS. The same happened with every operating system upgrade since then, ranging from Windows 95 all the way to Windows 10. The only upgrades people did skip (justifiably) were Windows ME and Vista since they were 2 major flops.

When will people understand that can't stay on your old operating system forever? Eventually you MUST upgrade, there is no alternative, so better sooner than later. Even those people stuck with old hardware must eventually upgrade. It will ge to the point where new software will not run on their old devices.
I've still not managed to convince my grandma to get windows 10.
Even if I offered to buy her a brand new laptop.
She is on windows xp with 512 mb of ram.
She complains it is slow.

Vasudev

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 22, 2020, 07:42 PM
Quote from: humbert on January 18, 2020, 04:57 AM

I've still not managed to convince my grandma to get windows 10.
Even if I offered to buy her a brand new laptop.
She is on windows xp with 512 mb of ram.
She complains it is slow.
Why not add 240GB kingston a200 ssd? Should be enough for xp and 7.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 25, 2020, 04:43 PM
Why not add 240GB kingston a200 ssd? Should be enough for xp and 7.

From what I've been reading, it's not a good idea to use and SSD on Windows XP. The reason is XP doesn't support trim. You'd have to trim the drive manually using 3rd party software. This is, of course, assuming someone even writes it. Windows 7 and higher trim SSD's automatically (or so I think), which is why nobody bothers to write trim software. If my facts are wrong, please let me know.