• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

(New) Testing Anti Virus Suites

Started by Vasudev, June 02, 2014, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 05, 2019, 06:58 AM
Vasu -> The only issue with using an anti-virus live CD or USB is that it doesn't catch the malware before it gets a chance to infect your system. Malwarebytes is great at this. Be that as it may, it's not a bad idea to have some sort of antivirus USB drive in case malware gets through. What do you recommend? Does Strelec's ISO have something useful?

Scarface -> Thanks for your copy of Malwarebytes. You forgot the instructions so it took me a while to learn to do things in proper order. Let me ask:

1) Is there any way to get rid of that nag about no license server? Can you still use it despite the nag? My previous copies had the same nag got to a point where Malwarebytes went to the free version and did not allow me to continue using the premium version.

2) Did you disable Windows Defender? I see no reason to continue using it. Compared to Malwarebytes it's all but worthless. What did you do?
No, it doesn't. Running a AV in sergei will remove hacked versions of many SWs and custom built Win 8/10 PEs.
Have you tried Configure Defender for Windows Defender https://malwaretips.com/threads/configuredefender-utility-for-windows-10.79039/
You can click on Child Protection for max lockdown settings on W10 for max security and paranoid setup.

scarface

Scarface -> Thanks for your copy of Malwarebytes. You forgot the instructions so it took me a while to learn to do things in proper order. Let me ask:
1) Is there any way to get rid of that nag about no license server? Can you still use it despite the nag? My previous copies had the same nag got to a point where Malwarebytes went to the free version and did not allow me to continue using the premium version.

2) Did you disable Windows Defender? I see no reason to continue using it. Compared to Malwarebytes it's all but worthless. What did you do?
1) I don't use it. I didn't even test it. I just found this on a reliable site and uploaded it on mega.
2) Since I disabled windows defender on the versions of windows 10 available on the forum, it's also disabled on my pc. Note that I've used windows 10 1803 for months, since May last year probably, and I installed windows 10 1909 lately.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on April 05, 2019, 08:22 PM

1) I don't use it. I didn't even test it. I just found this on a reliable site and uploaded it on mega.
2) Since I disabled windows defender on the versions of windows 10 available on the forum, it's also disabled on my pc. Note that I've used windows 10 1803 for months, since May last year probably, and I installed windows 10 1909 lately.
Cumulative update for v1903.30 Windows10.0-KB4497464-x64.cab   http://tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/e466e43c-7efd-4e90-93be-a8579fa9cb35?P1=1554532572&P2=402&P3=2&P4=C6fehhD45Gxa9T%2bFerSYrGiUnmuXHYGmaseE%2b%2f21C2IjwjydHaV%2f47duyWjH2BC3tMi9D4LO0SeF%2fizREQbYVA%3d%3d
Windows10.0-KB4497727-x64.cab aka Servicing stack update http://tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/aa2be949-55b3-467c-b79b-d669ff4fc6e2?P1=1554531091&P2=402&P3=2&P4=jlPT5jDMARhFd%2buYZwkSgEv17aWxu992mVnxGuizMKes5N44SRqOXpReuKkxQhhuoJnjxZMTkvMdywaGectVRw%3d%3d

Source adguard https://uup.rg-adguard.net/

humbert

Vasu -> What version of Windows are you using? Did you upgrade from 1803 (the same one you sent me)? I'm asking because I'm wondering if its time for an upgrade. I'd do it the same way we did it before, i.e., with your guidance. Sadly I have to go this route. Windows Update is broken, every upgrade attempt ends up with this "We couldn't install the updates, undoing changes" garbage.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 09, 2019, 06:36 AM
Vasu -> What version of Windows are you using? Did you upgrade from 1803 (the same one you sent me)? I'm asking because I'm wondering if its time for an upgrade. I'd do it the same way we did it before, i.e., with your guidance. Sadly I have to go this route. Windows Update is broken, every upgrade attempt ends up with this "We couldn't install the updates, undoing changes" garbage.
Me and scarface are on 19H1 build aka v1903.30. Its buggy and maybe just as bad for general users who use specific hardware and SW such as creative Xfi,VMware etc...  Only good thing is extra battery life and Retpoline patches to mitigate performance issues on Spectre, other than that nothing is changed from v1809. I clean installed 19h1 on my machine. Reserved storage is another garbage that is tied to page file,hibernation and Swap file. You need to use disable reserve storage regtweak and use fixed size for page file and disable hibernation to get rid off Reserved storage completely.
I've blocked all updates and even Paused updates on Home editions.

humbert

Vasu -> Then the best thing to do is to hold on to 1803 until Micro$haft gets around to fixing the new versions, or at the very least makes them usable. Suits me fine, 1803 is working OK. In fact I even tried Windows Update to see what would happen. Believe it or not it worked. It's still 1803, just with some updates installed.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 10, 2019, 06:49 AM
Vasu -> Then the best thing to do is to hold on to 1803 until Micro$haft gets around to fixing the new versions, or at the very least makes them usable. Suits me fine, 1803 is working OK. In fact I even tried Windows Update to see what would happen. Believe it or not it worked. It's still 1803, just with some updates installed.
There's barely any changes to Windows 10 v1903 aside from Windows defender Sandbox, retpoline and Light themed start menu. 1803 is good enough for daily usage.

humbert

The copy of Malwarebytes 3.71 I downloaded only works as premium for a few days, then it reverts to the free version. I could remove and reinstall from scratch including pre-activator, but once again it only lasts a few days. Any way to prevent this from happening? The freeware version of Malwarebytes is essentially useless.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 15, 2019, 06:19 AM
The copy of Malwarebytes 3.71 I downloaded only works as premium for a few days, then it reverts to the free version. I could remove and reinstall from scratch including pre-activator, but once again it only lasts a few days. Any way to prevent this from happening? The freeware version of Malwarebytes is essentially useless.
Use Windows Defender or scarface's repacked version of Trend Micro officescan. MBAM 3.x is utterly useless you can download Emsisoft Emergency kit for free w/o payment on any number of PCs. Its a very good on-demand scanner.
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergencykit/

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on April 15, 2019, 07:12 AM
Use Windows Defender or scarface's repacked version of Trend Micro officescan. MBAM 3.x is utterly useless you can download Emsisoft Emergency kit for free w/o payment on any number of PCs. Its a very good on-demand scanner.

Does Emsisoft Emergency protect in real time or do you need to manually perform a scan? Can you put it on a flashdrive and boot from it in case the the system won't boot due to malware damage?

Incidentally, free Malwarebytes is useless in the sense that it doesn't perform real time scans. It will perform manual scans. If Emsisoft Emergency works only manually then how is it any different from Malwarebytes?