• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Today, I'm going to give you some news of Israel.

It is a pretty little discovery that has just been unveiled on Wednesday November 23 by the Authority of Antiquities of Israel, the public body responsible for sites and archaeological excavations in the country. A seated figure, the chin in his right hand, his left hand resting on a knee, in a posture that evokes irresistibly the Thinker of Auguste Rodin. The mysterious man with huge round eyes is only 18 centimeters high and is an integral part of a terracotta carafe found in October on the very last day of excavations in the town of Yehud, not far from Tel Aviv , Prior to the construction of a building.

The object is over 3,800 years old. According to Gilad Itach, the person in charge of the excavation and quoted by the Times of Israel, it would seem that "a pottery characteristic of the period was first prepared, and that this unique statue was subsequently added", of which no other copy Is known. "The level of precision and detail achieved in the creation of this nearly 4,000-year-old sculpture is extremely impressive," said the Israeli archaeologist. The carafe collar served as the base to form the upper part of the figure, after which the arms, legs and face were added to the sculpture. "

scarface

IN PICTURES: See Paris clouded in smog as air pollution spikes

Paris authorities were forced to impose traffic restrictions in Paris and its close suburb, and make public transport free on Tuesday, due to a spike in air pollution.
The air pollution in Paris is predicted to worsen on Wednesday, with authorities barring many drivers from using their cars and making public transport free for the second day in a row.
You'll be able to ride public transport in the Paris region for free on Wednesday as the pollution spike continues.
Authorities in Paris have also decided to restrict vehicle use on Wednesday by imposing alternating traffic in the capital and its surrounding suburbs.

This photo taken on December 5 2016 tells the story.

humbert

Regarding the pollution in Paris, give it a few more days before the weather clears. I've seen it many times before in other cities. It's usually due to a temperature inversion that pretty blocks winds that would normally blow the smog away. You'll be back to normal soon.

humbert

As you know, I live quite close to Mexico. I've traveled there many times, both in a car and by air, and visited many cities and towns. I've never had a problem, nor have I seen any violence anywhere. No one has even given me a dirty look.

What you read in the new media very often should be taken with a grain of salt.

scarface

To humbert: well, I can assure you I saw neither any beggar nor violence in Naples too, in the ghetto of rich where the brother of my stepmother is living. I don't doubt you have not seen anything, this is no evidence nothing is happening. Even the Syrian regime is broadcasting some propaganda to encourage tourists to visit, a few kilometers away from the fighting. Usually, the media are putting the dust under the carpet, that's why I'm posting some messages so that you can know what's happening in other countries.

scarface

A few photos taken today in the cemetery of Montmartre, in the 18th arrondissement of Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFOe5sGnQK0

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 17, 2016, 12:44 AM
A few photos taken today in the cemetery of Montmartre, in the 18th arrondissement of Paris.

I think I've been there. Isn't that the place where Jim Morisson and Oscar Wilde are buried?

scarface

No. Actually, both of them are buried at the Père Lachaise, the largest cemetery in Paris.

scarface

Today, I’m holding a second conference about rising sea levels in the United States.

In the United States, the rising waters threaten the East Coast.
A new study by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reveals the extreme vulnerability of the Atlantic seaboard.

Commissioned in 2015 under the Obama administration, the latest National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) report on sea-level rise was discreetly published Tuesday, January 24 on the agency's website, with little fanfare. It is, however, of singular importance: it shows that the American coasts, particularly on the Atlantic seaboard, are among the most vulnerable in the world to the rise of the oceans.

According to the calculations of the NOAA researchers, a probable scenario would correspond to a rise of 2.5 meters along these coasts by the end of the current century. This is an upward estimate of about 60 centimeters from the last analogous report, which only dates back to 2012.

Why are the North Atlantic shores so vulnerable? "Across the North Atlantic coast, north of Virginia, but also in the western Gulf of Mexico, there is a phenomenon of subsidence of the earth's crust which adds to the rise of the ocean" says William Sweet. This land-sinking effect is due to the exploitation of groundwater, but also to other geophysical phenomena unrelated to human activity. All in all, since the land is sinking and the ocean is swelling, the erosion and shifting of the coastline are all the faster.

The town of Annapolis

An average global sea elevation of about 1.5 meters is envisaged by the 2100 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in the case of the current trend of greenhouse gas emissions. But a sea level rise of 1.3 to 1.5 meters would be unmanageable for many port cities. Many of them are already investing heavily in mitigating the effects of high tides, which are already penetrating into city centers. In Annapolis, for example, there were fewer than 10 days of flooding per year between 1950 and 1975. Since the beginning of 2010, the city has been experiencing this disruption between forty and sixty days a year.

scarface

Here are a few photos, taken by myself today. I guess no comments are needed, you can get enough clues in each picture to know where the scene takes place.