• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Phones, Tablets & Everything Else

Started by Vasudev, April 27, 2015, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 30, 2015, 12:32 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on April 29, 2015, 06:26 PM
Quote from: humbert on April 29, 2015, 05:08 AM
I'm glad someone started this topic. I think it's necessary given that almost everyone who eats every day carries a cell phone.

@Vasudev - Following up on what Shadow asked you, what's your opinion on your Windows phone? I'm asking because so far I've yet to hear anything positive, let alone a recommendation.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II. One reason is I'm in love with the S-pen. I'm clumsy with my fingers and the pen comes in very handy. The phone is 3 years old but at this point there is no need to upgrade. Hopefully my next phone will feature 64bit architecture, using Qualcomm Snapdragon 820, Samsung Exynos 7420 or better. I'm an Android guy, I have a iPhone 4 for 2 years and I hate Apple to the bone.

Those of you who also use Android, I'm assuming your devices are rooted. Do you guys like to flash custom ROMS as I do?
For now, Lumia 535 would suffice my needs. My needs are very basic indeed; I use WhatsApp occasionally and moderate WiFi usage for 3-4 Hrs daily and lite gaming. Battery life on wp8.1 denim needs heavy improvements.  I only get 2-3 days battery life after a single charge(since I was nokia s40 user which had a battery life a minimum of 4-6 days on single charge).
Overall I'm happy with the current phone.
One more creepy idea came to my mind yesterday, it is about creating mini Maherz Digital World group on WhatsApp. Sounds good?
I don't have space for additional apps.. Can't have it at the moment  ::)
If anyone is up for a call on skype, or text, ask me and we'll sort it out. I'm more interested in a Skype group though.

Apps I use on my phone regularly(android)
Alarm clock Plus. Easy to use alarm.. forcing me to do math.. :)
ASTRO File Manager. I use it to move files, and just browse files.
CallsFreeCalls, Call free to most parts of the world, and text free, in return watch videos or watch ads. It's simple, and I do it when I have nothing to do or wait for a text message.
Dingtone, same as CallsFreeCalls.
Easytether PRO, a really good app, I think it's worth paying for. Allows to tether WiFi connections to PC, I mainly used this on my S3, havn't tested yet on my Huawei.
JuiceSSH + PerformenceMonitor plugin, SSH to my Rasp.Pi2, and monitor cpu, ram, diskusage, internet usage etc.
Maxthon Browser, Great for browsing, it's not that great for some video sites, but it goes around. My favorite, next favorite is Dolphin.
Messenger for Facebook, Using this to communicate with my classmates.
OpenVPN for android, for using my VPN.
RD Client, Windows remote desktop.
Snapchat, send pictures that delete after a time(Still screenshotable)
Swish, easily transfer money from my bankaccount to a friends bank account. This app is superb. Let's say my friend pays my ticket for the Cinema because I forgot my debitcard at home, I can open the app and send him the funds directly, it takes the money directly from the bank account, no fees, no ads etc.
BANKID, Allows authentication for Bank, Military survey(Forced to enter some details when you turn 18.), Swish etc.
SEB, My banks app, view balance, pay others, manage your accounts, request support, pay bills.
Wattpad, Reading.
Can't you move it to SD card?

Shadow.97

Quote from: Vasudev on April 30, 2015, 10:06 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 30, 2015, 12:32 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on April 29, 2015, 06:26 PM
Quote from: humbert on April 29, 2015, 05:08 AM
I'm glad someone started this topic. I think it's necessary given that almost everyone who eats every day carries a cell phone.

@Vasudev - Following up on what Shadow asked you, what's your opinion on your Windows phone? I'm asking because so far I've yet to hear anything positive, let alone a recommendation.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II. One reason is I'm in love with the S-pen. I'm clumsy with my fingers and the pen comes in very handy. The phone is 3 years old but at this point there is no need to upgrade. Hopefully my next phone will feature 64bit architecture, using Qualcomm Snapdragon 820, Samsung Exynos 7420 or better. I'm an Android guy, I have a iPhone 4 for 2 years and I hate Apple to the bone.

Those of you who also use Android, I'm assuming your devices are rooted. Do you guys like to flash custom ROMS as I do?
For now, Lumia 535 would suffice my needs. My needs are very basic indeed; I use WhatsApp occasionally and moderate WiFi usage for 3-4 Hrs daily and lite gaming. Battery life on wp8.1 denim needs heavy improvements.  I only get 2-3 days battery life after a single charge(since I was nokia s40 user which had a battery life a minimum of 4-6 days on single charge).
Overall I'm happy with the current phone.
One more creepy idea came to my mind yesterday, it is about creating mini Maherz Digital World group on WhatsApp. Sounds good?
I don't have space for additional apps.. Can't have it at the moment  ::)
If anyone is up for a call on skype, or text, ask me and we'll sort it out. I'm more interested in a Skype group though.

Apps I use on my phone regularly(android)
Alarm clock Plus. Easy to use alarm.. forcing me to do math.. :)
ASTRO File Manager. I use it to move files, and just browse files.
CallsFreeCalls, Call free to most parts of the world, and text free, in return watch videos or watch ads. It's simple, and I do it when I have nothing to do or wait for a text message.
Dingtone, same as CallsFreeCalls.
Easytether PRO, a really good app, I think it's worth paying for. Allows to tether WiFi connections to PC, I mainly used this on my S3, havn't tested yet on my Huawei.
JuiceSSH + PerformenceMonitor plugin, SSH to my Rasp.Pi2, and monitor cpu, ram, diskusage, internet usage etc.
Maxthon Browser, Great for browsing, it's not that great for some video sites, but it goes around. My favorite, next favorite is Dolphin.
Messenger for Facebook, Using this to communicate with my classmates.
OpenVPN for android, for using my VPN.
RD Client, Windows remote desktop.
Snapchat, send pictures that delete after a time(Still screenshotable)
Swish, easily transfer money from my bankaccount to a friends bank account. This app is superb. Let's say my friend pays my ticket for the Cinema because I forgot my debitcard at home, I can open the app and send him the funds directly, it takes the money directly from the bank account, no fees, no ads etc.
BANKID, Allows authentication for Bank, Military survey(Forced to enter some details when you turn 18.), Swish etc.
SEB, My banks app, view balance, pay others, manage your accounts, request support, pay bills.
Wattpad, Reading.
Can't you move it to SD card?
Most apps yes, but 1.6GB of usable storage doesn't last long, the biggest apps I have ( Around 200MB) can't be moved.. :/

humbert

All you guys that use Android are rooted, right? Is there anyone that isn't? Who uses custom ROMS?

Come to think of it I'm having a problem with my phone. This is a Galaxy Note 2 running a custom ROM. For some reason some apps can access the GPS and some can't. I was thinking it's got something to do with permissions, but I checked with Privacy Guard and the apps in question have permission. Any ideas?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 01, 2015, 07:01 AM
All you guys that use Android are rooted, right? Is there anyone that isn't? Who uses custom ROMS?

Come to think of it I'm having a problem with my phone. This is a Galaxy Note 2 running a custom ROM. For some reason some apps can access the GPS and some can't. I was thinking it's got something to do with permissions, but I checked with Privacy Guard and the apps in question have permission. Any ideas?
My sister's galaxy is not rooted.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 01, 2015, 07:01 AM

My galaxy is rooted.
My Huawei isn't. It's not because I don't see a huge purpose of rooting it. Especially as it's my more "serious" phone, where I mainly have things that I care for.

humbert

I don't see much of a risk in simply rooting the Huawei. If you were installing a custom ROM then that's another matter entirely.

Probably the first thing you do after rooting is install AdAdway. Ads are everywhere. They're a pestilence. Greed knows no bounds.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 02, 2015, 06:34 AM
I don't see much of a risk in simply rooting the Huawei. If you were installing a custom ROM then that's another matter entirely.

Probably the first thing you do after rooting is install AdAdway. Ads are everywhere. They're a pestilence. Greed knows no bounds.
I dont really use apps that have annoying ads. :) The few I do I feel like I'd rather support them.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 02, 2015, 06:41 AM
I dont really use apps that have annoying ads. :) The few I do I feel like I'd rather support them.

My issue is that the advertizers are overdoing it. Go to [for example] speedtest.net without Adblock Plus. So many confusing, intrusive ads it's almost impossible to do anything. Again, greed knows no bounds.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 02, 2015, 06:44 AM

My issue is that the advertizers are overdoing it. Go to [for example] speedtest.net without Adblock Plus. So many confusing, intrusive ads it's almost impossible to do anything. Again, greed knows no bounds.
Just remember where to press ^.^

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 02, 2015, 06:44 AM

without abp it is very difficult to identify good links within ads.