• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Phones, Tablets & Everything Else

Started by Vasudev, April 27, 2015, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

I recommend Adblock Edge instead of Adblock Plus. Aside from the talk about ABP accepting payoffs from advertizers, ABE gives you access to more filters. Fanboy was no longer available on ADP, but I did find it when I switched to ABE.

It's gotten to a point where addons such as ABE and anti-tracking programs (e.g., Ghostery, Disconnect..) are now almost mandatory. Ads have become like locust swarms - millions upon millions, constant and nonstop. Advertizers and trackers are vermin that deserve no mercy.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 05, 2015, 04:38 AM
I recommend Adblock Edge instead of Adblock Plus. Aside from the talk about ABP accepting payoffs from advertizers, ABE gives you access to more filters. Fanboy was no longer available on ADP, but I did find it when I switched to ABE.

It's gotten to a point where addons such as ABE and anti-tracking programs (e.g., Ghostery, Disconnect..) are now almost mandatory. Ads have become like locust swarms - millions upon millions, constant and nonstop. Advertizers and trackers are vermin that deserve no mercy.
There is one ad that I annoy myself to death on. (Android).
It is flashing adverts, it's one that is some "cleaner" to make android faster. It is the most annoying ad ever probably. I report it each time, and it hides the ad.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 05, 2015, 08:53 PM
It is flashing adverts, it's one that is some "cleaner" to make android faster. It is the most annoying ad ever probably. I report it each time, and it hides the ad.

If you're rooted download and install AdAway. It was removed from Google Play but you can still get it on Fdroid and probably many other sources. It puts an anti-advert hosts file on your phone and updates it daily. It's a must for any Android user, and one more reason to root your phone.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on May 06, 2015, 05:50 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 05, 2015, 08:53 PM

If you're rooted download and install AdAway. It was removed from Google Play but you can still get it on Fdroid and probably many other sources. It puts an anti-advert hosts file on your phone and updates it daily. It's a must for any Android user, and one more reason to root your phone.

I found a temporary solution to my S3. Open it up, use a tool to squeeze the port some so it's tighter. I will replace it fully because it still requires a "brand new" charger that isn't worn out much, as it looses connectivity. New chargerport was very cheap, and 5x in one package.
I'll check into Fdroid and Adaway. Thank you.

Vasudev

Update: I'm giving my phone to my sister because of the inherent touch issues and reverting back to my old(ancient) phone.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 01, 2015, 04:39 PM
Update: I'm giving my phone to my sister because of the inherent touch issues and reverting back to my old(ancient) phone.

Of course you mean until the day you get an upgraded, working model. Right?

@Shadow - Fdroid is an app like Google Play only for its own repository with stuff you might not find on the Play Store. Go here https://f-droid.org/ and download the APK. You know how to do the rest. I have it installed on my phone and tablet and it's pretty nice.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 01, 2015, 09:58 PM

@Shadow - Fdroid is an app like Google Play only for its own repository with stuff you might not find on the Play Store. Go here https://f-droid.org/ and download the APK. You know how to do the rest. I have it installed on my phone and tablet and it's pretty nice.
I have less than 50MB memory left..  ::) Thanks anyway!

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 01, 2015, 09:58 PM

I'm giving it to my sister permanently since she liked camera and other lumia exclusive apps eventhough she owns samsung galaxy.