• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New hardware

Started by humbert, June 16, 2015, 06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

I'm not too clear this topic belongs in this section. I suppose it can always be moved. Read to the end and decide.

My motherboard died yesterday for no apparent reason. First it would not POST, i.e., no short beep, no error no booting, no nothing. All lights and fans are on but nothing happens. After plugging and unplugging several times it booted up with an error message about errors in the BIOS. First I replaced the CMOS battery. When that didn't help I wiped and reflashed the BIOS. No good. Finally I took out the memory chips and video cards and carefully cleaned all the contacts. Nothing. Finally last night the thing would not POST at all no matter what I did.

Since I desperately need my computer and don't have the luxury of waiting a few days, I went to a local computer store. First I bought a similar motherboard. The only problem with this is that to remove the CPU from the old one is next to impossible. The cooling fan is glued to the CPU with thermal paste, and it's hard as cement. The fan covers the small locking lever completely, making it virtually move it, let alone lift it up. I then went back to the computer store for an upgrade, to buy whatever they had in stock. They had an Asus Maximus VII Hero coupled with a Core 17-4790K. EXPENSIVE! I used my credit card with no clue as to how I'm going to pay for it. As I'm sure many of you can understand, getting a system like this is almost orgasmic. :)  This thing is a rocket!

Now the final issue remaining. Activation! As all of you know, a major hardware change results in loss of activation. I know there are 1000 or more activators on the torrents, and even one that says "Maherz" (don't know if it's really his). Last time what I did was obtain a strange key from one of those pastebin sites, then slui 4 and Skype that strange number in the United Kingdom. Ideally I'd like to do this again before trying one of those activators. To make matters worse, Maher is unavailable and Ramadan begins on Wednesday. Can you guys help?

BTW, if in the future you guys perform any hardware changes, I strongly recommend a little utility from Nirsoft called DevManView. It checks all hardware that has ever been installed in your system and allows you to remove the old stuff completely, thus removing any possible conflicts.

BLADESHARK

cant you use DAZ Loader and solve the problem :-\
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

Vasudev

Did you fry all your SSD/HDDs? Try booting the OS SSD and uninstall all AMD stuff to remove conflicts. The issue is likely due to thermal shock. Getting a bigger case helps, for example Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced or HAF X. Motherboard is high end one. Use a good power supply from seasonic possibly X series.

Vasudev

shhnedo

^ +1 for Microsoft Toolkit. Official Thread
Here's KMSPico's official thread.
Both require registration, but it's not a big deal and the website is very useful for pirates. ;]

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that maximus VII + 4790K ?

Vasudev

I didn’t use Win 8.1 and will upgrade to Win X.

Shadow.97

Nice :) I like that system. I honestly dont understand what you need help with!
Going from my X6 1035t amd, to 4690k was a huge difference when playing games FPS, but normal programs I feel like the 1035 handled just as well, if not better having many programs up at once. A thing I've noticed recently, when I moved my 1035t into my room again, it heats up the room so mad.
Summer is here!(5 days, then gone..)  ::)
.. I'm going to study away from home next year, I am leaning more and more towards Germany, as I already know the basics in the language. Then I'll buy a laptop before going there, My budget is at the moment 15000SEK for it. It might be overkill, but I really feel like I need a laptop, and based on that I plan to do a lot in photoshop, simulation and so on, it will require a quite beefy cpu and gpu. I found a neat laptop for 14000sek the otherday, 14' screen, 16gb ram, 960m, i7(cant remember which), 4k hd screen. I'd like to have a high pixelcount and accurate color screen to do work in graphics. It feels like a laptop will break me. :) We'll notice!

humbert

An update on my situation. The good news is that Maher help me with the activation. I don't know how he finds those strange working keys that activate through MS' server in the UK, but it was no problem. Now the bad part. For some reason the new system just keeps crashing for no apparent reason. I checked everything I could with the hardware and found no problem. Finally I took it back to the vendor. They called and told me that for some reason the 2 NVidia cards running on SLI were being driven by Microsoft's drivers and not NVidia's. Apparently this happened because when I installed NVidia's software, I left out the "experience" thing, believing it to be unnecessary. The guy told me since he made the change it hasn't crashed. He also said he checked the hardware and found no problem anywhere. Go figure!

@Vasudev - on the old AMD board there was no damage to drives or anything else. The fundamental problem is the damn thing will not POST and, aa a result, does nothing after turning it on. I decided to upgrade because I saw no way to remove the cooling fan and CPU without breaking it, on top of the fact that I just fell in love with the new system like a typical nerd. :)

@Shadow - Would you say your German is as good as your English? Can you converse in German? I'm curious as to why you chose that country for study.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on June 18, 2015, 06:00 AM
An update on my situation. The good news is that Maher help me with the activation. I don't know how he finds those strange working keys that activate through MS' server in the UK, but it was no problem. Now the bad part. For some reason the new system just keeps crashing for no apparent reason. I checked everything I could with the hardware and found no problem. Finally I took it back to the vendor. They called and told me that for some reason the 2 NVidia cards running on SLI were being driven by Microsoft's drivers and not NVidia's. Apparently this happened because when I installed NVidia's software, I left out the "experience" thing, believing it to be unnecessary. The guy told me since he made the change it hasn't crashed. He also said he checked the hardware and found no problem anywhere. Go figure!

@Vasudev - on the old AMD board there was no damage to drives or anything else. The fundamental problem is the damn thing will not POST and, aa a result, does nothing after turning it on. I decided to upgrade because I saw no way to remove the cooling fan and CPU without breaking it, on top of the fact that I just fell in love with the new system like a typical nerd. :)

@Shadow - Would you say your German is as good as your English? Can you converse in German? I'm curious as to why you chose that country for study.

No, sadly my German isnt as good! I studied it for 3 years, and have almost 0 real life experience of German. I am cery interested in learning languages in general, and since I know the basoc grammar and can make my way around with only german Id like to develop my skills in it. Anpther reason is that is not super far away from my home, and because my parents go to german now and then they could visit if something happens.
Ive always loved languages. So basically its just one of man languages that I want to learn!

Vasudev

I'm going for Intel, Here's what I've in mind:
Component       Selection                                        Price    
CPU       
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor    INR20,992    
CPU Cooler

Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 55.5 CFM CPU Cooler     INR1,721    
Thermal Compound    

Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 Tri-Linear 25g Thermal Paste   INR439    
Motherboard    

Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard    INR15,567    
Memory    

Transcend JetRam 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory    INR4,943    

Transcend JetRam 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory    INR4,943    
Storage    

Seagate 600 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive   INR4,459    
Video Card    

Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB Dual-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)   INR14,036    

Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB Dual-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)   INR14,036    
Case    

Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case    INR10,591    
Power Supply    

SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply    INR8,549    
Optical Drive    

Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer   INR1,205    
Case Fan    

Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan    INR637    
Monitor    

BenQ XL2430T 144Hz 24.0" Monitor   INR24,182    
Keyboard    

Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse   INR1,914    
Total:    INR128,216