• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

When I lived in Sweden I wasnt a massive fan of cheese from the supermarkets.

The cheese over here is however much different. I'd say; a whole different world.
Even the 'cheap' cheese you get in grocery stores are tastier.
Regarding where I live now; I'm quite surprised Humbert, or Scarface hasnt looked up my ip. ::)

Not the best picture. It's from my phone after all.

Regarding previous cheeses posted:
Emmental, Gouda and 1 more I forgot are very common cheeses.
Here the type I posted is also very common.

Im guessing the White "shell" cheese is Brie. One of my faves. We usually have it for Christmas, along with other kinds of blue cheese.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on August 22, 2019, 01:42 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 21, 2019, 07:38 PM
Hmm... Looks tasty. Is there anyway to know for sure you aren't swindled by shops selling cheese if I visit Paris?
French names are difficult to remember.
I'll be a fat pig in no time after having delicious varieties of Cheese!
A cheese crook? What does it mean? Instead of buying Roquefort, you are afraid you might end up with some boudin noir (blood sausage, often made with pig's blood and apples or onions as a filler)? Maher and aa1234779 will confirm that you will become a fat pig if you are eating tons of boudin every day !

some boudin:

Sammy explains he had gastric problems because of rotten cheese. it gave him a fishy breath too.

Well, you don't need to come to France to buy good cheese. You can buy some here: https://www.fromages.com/en/cheese-shop/individual-cheeses
I recommend the Roquefort, the Tomme de Savoie, The Cantal (preferably old), The Saint Marcellin,
the Emmental, the Saint nectaire...
You can also try the Gouda with Cumin (it's the only one I don't like).

As for Paris, Well, if you are browsing the forum, maybe you don't need to come any longer. You will be able to save enough money to buy a lot of cheeses.
The problem with Paris is simple, there are too many tourists and you are always waiting. You are also spending a lot of time in public transport.
You would also notice that poverty is omnipresent. And the people are more relaxed in the countryside.

museum of Orsay: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg19884#msg19884
Le louvre: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg29319#msg29319
The halles, the Saint Eustache church. The Institute of the Arab world: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg29414#msg29414
Yikes!!
The link for buying cheese online isn't working!

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on August 22, 2019, 06:54 AM
The cheese over here is however much different. I'd say; a whole different world.
Regarding where I live now; I'm quite surprised Humbert, or Scarface hasnt looked up my ip. ::)
We can't see your ip. Likewise, aa1234779 was afraid we might know he was in the Arabica Peninsula, but we didn't know it till he disclosed his position.
You would have noticed I moved too.

Im guessing the White "shell" cheese is Brie. One of my faves. We usually have it for Christmas, along with other kinds of blue cheese.
Actually, the round cheese is not a brie but a camembert. They look the same.
Both have bloomy rind and the size of the Camembert is usually smaller than the Brie. In terms of flavor, Camembert tastes like mushroom whereas the brie is more buttery and sweet.

Here is a photo of a brie. You can see that it's bigger than the camembert.

It seems your cheese is stuck to the wall. Isn't it?

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on August 22, 2019, 06:04 PM
Yikes!!
The link for buying cheese online isn't working!
Here it is working. Here is the phone number to order your Roquefort.

scarface

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on August 22, 2019, 09:46 PM
We can't see your ip. Likewise, aa1234779 was afraid we might know he was in the Arabica Peninsula, but we didn't know it till he disclosed his position.
You would have noticed I moved too.

https://i.imgur.com/Ng1zuSq.jpg

Actually, the round cheese is not a brie but a camembert. They look the same.
Both have bloomy rind and the size of the Camembert is usually smaller than the Brie. In terms of flavor, Camembert tastes like mushroom whereas the brie is more buttery and sweet.

Here is a photo of a brie. You can see that it's bigger than the camembert.
https://i.ibb.co/9W42c3G/Brie-044-e1440351726584.jpg

It seems your cheese is stuck to the wall. Isn't it?

Red Cheddar by the way. Country, .IE domain :p

The reason I believed you'd notice the Ip, is that it says IP logged down on the bottom right on your own posts. It tells you that Moderators can view it.

scarface

Red Cheddar by the way. Country, .IE domain :p

The reason I believed you'd notice the Ip, is that it says IP logged down on the bottom right on your own posts. It tells you that Moderators can view it.
If I click on "logged" in your message I have the same window. Except for my own message, I can see my ip when I'm logged in. But it's not really useful. Currently you're offline. Maybe it would be different should you be online. I guess it does not matter.

As far as your cheese is concerned, I knew something was fishy. It's not a French cheese. If you want something with a strong taste, you should take some Picodon or some Reblochon.

scarface

For shadow.97, I'm going to reveal my whereabouts.
You know that I used to leave in Paris. To put it bluntly, I'm glad I got far away from that town. It is overcrowded and dirty.
In Saint Etienne, I was living 118 rue Crozet Boussingault in a big flat that overlooked a park. It was very calm. Most residents were old people.
Note that the shooting of the movie Noce blanche took place in the vicinity, in the college of the portail rouge.
It's available here: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1023.msg29652#msg29652
Saint Etienne is very popular. But that's also what makes it accessible to everyone. In the bars you can talk, that's not the case everywhere. In the bar Le quai (2 bd Jules Janin), you can talk to the barman. It's not the fouquet's, but you can even be offered some free glasses of Pastis.
Finally I went to Clermont Ferrand. I must say sociology is not the same. rents are not the same either. It's at least 30% more expensive here. I decided to live in the city centre, avenue Julien, one of the most chic areas of the town.
I miss my old flat. There are shops nearby with a good range of cafés, but it's not as calm. You can't go out and see the stars for example, because of the ambient light of the city. I used to look at the Big dipper constellation, also known as La grande ours in French.

scarface

Here is another photo of a cheese.
Look carefully at the photo below.

Shadow.97 must be thinking it's a piece of brie, but in fact this one is a camembert. It's a relatively small cheese.

This cheese is made from cow's milk.

Traditional Camembert and Brie can pack an aromatic punch, as do small-format goat cheeses like Picodon.
Bloomy-rind cheeses, like the camembert, tend to be stinky. In most cases, the smell is usually stronger than the taste. Another group in the stinky category are blue cheeses, which seem to carry their pungency straight from the nose all the way through to the flavor.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on August 31, 2019, 12:32 PM
Here is another photo of a cheese.
Look carefully at the photo below.

Shadow.97 must be thinking it's a piece of brie, but in fact this one is a camembert. It's a relatively small cheese.

This cheese is made from cow's milk.

Traditional Camembert and Brie can pack an aromatic punch, as do small-format goat cheeses like Picodon.
Bloomy-rind cheeses, like the camembert, tend to be stinky. In most cases, the smell is usually stronger than the taste. Another group in the stinky category are blue cheeses, which seem to carry their pungency straight from the nose all the way through to the flavor.

You can make pretty good blue-cheese dip for crisps/chips. Depending on which word you prefer.