• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Scarface or Vasudev: Were any of you guys able to create a working copy of W10 20H2? By this I mean have you been able to upgrade to it from a previous version? On Windows Update it says 20H2 is available for upgrade on my system. The only problem is when I run it, it keeps telling me to uninstall VirtualBox because it's "not compatible with Windows 10" and will not continue unless I do that. This is despite the fact that my copy of VirtualBox runs perfectly on W10. Clearly there is something wrong with Micro$haft's installer.

Looks like it's time to upgrade my motherboard. When I try booting up the board stops. It's only when I press F8 for the boot menu and select the first HD that it'll work, and sometimes I have to hit reset a few times for the boot menu. Oh well....

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 29, 2020, 05:08 AM
Were any of you guys able to create a working copy of W10 20H2? By this I mean have you been able to upgrade to it from a previous version?
You should look at the previous message, you will see a copy of this version. But I don't know if upgrading will work.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 29, 2020, 05:08 AM
Scarface or Vasudev: Were any of you guys able to create a working copy of W10 20H2? By this I mean have you been able to upgrade to it from a previous version? On Windows Update it says 20H2 is available for upgrade on my system. The only problem is when I run it, it keeps telling me to uninstall VirtualBox because it's "not compatible with Windows 10" and will not continue unless I do that. This is despite the fact that my copy of VirtualBox runs perfectly on W10. Clearly there is something wrong with Micro$haft's installer.

Looks like it's time to upgrade my motherboard. When I try booting up the board stops. It's only when I press F8 for the boot menu and select the first HD that it'll work, and sometimes I have to hit reset a few times for the boot menu. Oh well....

No issue updating from 2004 to 20h2. :) Took 10 seconds or something, it was as fast as a normal restart basically.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 04, 2020, 04:25 AM
No issue updating from 2004 to 20h2. :) Took 10 seconds or something, it was as fast as a normal restart basically.

I'm currently running 1909. Maybe that's what's causing the problem. I tried mounting Scarface's ISO and running setup. The installation halted even before it did anything. Doing it from Windows Update didn't work either. It wants me to remove VirtualBox because it's "incompatible with Windows 10". This despite the fact that VirtualBox runs great on my system.

Windows is the only OS that has these problems. Anything else updates seamlessly.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on December 04, 2020, 05:46 AM

I'm currently running 1909. Maybe that's what's causing the problem. I tried mounting Scarface's ISO and running setup. The installation halted even before it did anything. Doing it from Windows Update didn't work either. It wants me to remove VirtualBox because it's "incompatible with Windows 10". This despite the fact that VirtualBox runs great on my system.

Windows is the only OS that has these problems. Anything else updates seamlessly.

When doing previous upgrades, 16** 17** 18** i had to temporarily uninstall virtual machine engines(vmware) and also bitlocker. It just kept bricking my pc without any explanation if i didnt do it.

I've had really bad experiences upgrading from one linux distro version to another, like ubuntu 14 -> 15/16, debian 7->8 etc.
But mostly been on debian based, so cant say all too much.

I also had to use the windows 10 upgrade tool from microsofts homepage for previous updates, as with 20h2 it worked by its own. It just said it was incompatible and would take a while for it to become available for my pc. Then one day I noticed that my windows updates werent running, tried manually updating, and woops new feature update added.

Is it not an option to uninstall virtualbox, keep config files and virtual machines and reinstall after os update?

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 04, 2020, 10:08 PM
When doing previous upgrades, 16** 17** 18** i had to temporarily uninstall virtual machine engines(vmware) and also bitlocker. It just kept bricking my pc without any explanation if i didnt do it. Is it not an option to uninstall virtualbox, keep config files and virtual machines and reinstall after os update?

All you need to uninstall is the VirtualBox (in my case) program itself? The settings and virtual machine files don't need to be removed? I'm thinking Windows might detect them and stop the installation.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 04, 2020, 10:08 PM
I also had to use the windows 10 upgrade tool from microsofts homepage for previous updates, as with 20h2 it worked by its own. It just said it was incompatible and would take a while for it to become available for my pc. Then one day I noticed that my windows updates werent running, tried manually updating, and woops new feature update added.

I googled the Windows upgrade tool and I'm confused. There are programs for downloading the ISO and some others that I'm not sure what they do. Given the fact that 20H2 is available for download through Windows update on my system, don't know if it's a good idea to even use them. When you upgraded using the upgrade tool, did you have to take down VMware?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on December 05, 2020, 05:09 AM
All you need to uninstall is the VirtualBox (in my case) program itself? The settings and virtual machine files don't need to be removed? I'm thinking Windows might detect them and stop the installation.
Should only be the software itself, the files should be separate. not sure how Virtualbox uninstallation works. VMWare you can just backup the config and "vmware vms" and then uninstall vmware. Lots of software allow config and files to be saved when doing an uninstall.

Quote from: humbert on December 05, 2020, 05:09 AM
I googled the Windows upgrade tool and I'm confused. There are programs for downloading the ISO and some others that I'm not sure what they do. Given the fact that 20H2 is available for download through Windows update on my system, don't know if it's a good idea to even use them. When you upgraded using the upgrade tool, did you have to take down VMware?
Uh, I just remember downloading tool. Pressing "upgrade now" then it downloaded update, and it restarted a few times, then it started up like normal. Except for the time it didnt work, where I had to use the commandline from a usb-stick to repair some stuff. Dont remember specifics.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 04, 2020, 05:46 AM

I felt 20H2 wasn't polished like 1909.
For Vbox issues simply uninstall VirtualBox Host adpater Ethernet or something. It usually causes slow internet or buggy wifi.
Once upgrade is done, navigate to C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers and install the inf and everything should work.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 06, 2020, 09:36 AM
For Vbox issues simply uninstall VirtualBox Host adapter Ethernet or something. It usually causes slow internet or buggy wifi.
Once upgrade is done, navigate to C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers and install the inf and everything should work.

This is what I *think* you're saying but I'm not sure. Please let me know if this is correct:

1) Go to Device Manager an uninstall VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2 (in my case)

2) Go to C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\vboxdrv, find a file called VboxDrv.inf then right-click install. This will essentially undo step 1.

Is this right or do you mean something else?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 11, 2020, 04:58 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 06, 2020, 09:36 AM
For Vbox issues simply uninstall VirtualBox Host adapter Ethernet or something. It usually causes slow internet or buggy wifi.

This is what I *think* you're saying but I'm not sure. Please let me know if this is correct:

1) Go to Device Manager an uninstall VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2 (in my case)

2) Go to C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\vboxdrv, find a file called VboxDrv.inf then right-click install. This will essentially undo step 1.

Is this right or do you mean something else?
Yeah. You can do this if you're sure vbox driver  is the culprit.Otherwise not needed.