• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on March 18, 2021, 07:37 PM
Note that new Nvidia drivers are available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36418#msg36418
I stopped updating nvidia driver due to constant stutters/fps drops or even nvidia optimus freezing issue on latest version. I found a ancient version from microsoft update catalog 389.xx which fixed all issues above on 980M. Linux version of 460.x drivers doesn't have this issues.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on March 18, 2021, 08:16 PM
I stopped updating nvidia driver due to constant stutters/fps drops or even nvidia optimus freezing issue on latest version. I found a ancient version from microsoft update catalog 389.xx which fixed all issues above on 980M. Linux version of 460.x drivers doesn't have this issues.
The optimus driver is not included in this repack.
Here are the settings used:

humbert

Scarface, Vasudev and others who work with virtual machine programs (VMWare of VirtualBox). I'm not too clear the purpose of why we're given the option of assigning a number of cores to a VM. What's the purpose of this and why would they even ask it? As far as the host is concerned, a VM is a program like any other. I've never seen an option to assign cores to any other non-VM program.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on March 24, 2021, 05:04 AM
Scarface, Vasudev and others who work with virtual machine programs (VMWare of VirtualBox). I'm not too clear the purpose of why we're given the option of assigning a number of cores to a VM. What's the purpose of this and why would they even ask it? As far as the host is concerned, a VM is a program like any other. I've never seen an option to assign cores to any other non-VM program.
If you are not using your vm to make complex tasks, 1 core is enough.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on March 24, 2021, 05:04 AM
Actually many programs are multithreaded, but there is no option to assign one or several cores and limit the use of the cpu. I think that's the case for the program Nicehash, used by shadow.97 to mine his/her bitcoins: it is using all the threads by default.
To make some of the game repacks, I used a compressor named lolz that has an option to use any number of threads. I never used it, one thread is generally enough. Note that if you are using some repacks and if you think there are better ways to repack them, let me know.

humbert

Exactly my point. Many programs are multithreaded and won't run on a single core. VM's always run slower than the host even when you give it every every core your CPU has. I guess the only time it makes sense to use 1 core is if you're running several VM's at once and the program you're running inside the VM has no trouble with just 1 core.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on March 25, 2021, 03:52 AM
Exactly my point. Many programs are multithreaded and won't run on a single core. VM's always run slower than the host even when you give it every every core your CPU has. I guess the only time it makes sense to use 1 core is if you're running several VM's at once and the program you're running inside the VM has no trouble with just 1 core.
Indeed. I use two VMs side-by-side to test Home/pro concurrently and used to assign all cores to VMs since my host is idle so that I can test my VMs quicker. But, if you try to launch a game it gets choked and you may have to pause the VMs and resume after sometime.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on March 18, 2021, 08:51 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on March 18, 2021, 08:16 PM
The optimus driver is not included in this repack.
Here are the settings used:

For Laptops with nvidia and HDMI/USBC port you may need HD Audio and USB Type C things. Also, nvidia optimus things are auto-downloaded by nvidia when have given NvContainer outbound and inbound access to internet and it will download optimus files. I had to disable the outgoing/incoming access completely for nvContainer.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on March 31, 2021, 08:42 PM
For Laptops with nvidia and HDMI/USBC port you may need HD Audio and USB Type C things. Also, nvidia optimus things are auto-downloaded by nvidia when have given NvContainer outbound and inbound access to internet and it will download optimus files. I had to disable the outgoing/incoming access completely for nvContainer.
Interesting to know that. But it seems nvContainer is not included in this repack.
Note that the latest driver is available here:
https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36418#msg36418

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on March 31, 2021, 08:40 PM
Indeed. I use two VMs side-by-side to test Home/pro concurrently and used to assign all cores to VMs since my host is idle so that I can test my VMs quicker. But, if you try to launch a game it gets choked and you may have to pause the VMs and resume after sometime.

It all depends of what games you play. I don't think you'll have a problem with Solitaire or even Chess. But [for example] Call of Duty? Forget it.