Author Topic: General chat room  (Read 44464 times)

May 29, 2020, 08:12 PM
Reply #240
Thought it may be of interest for you people;
you can get free hosting on Oracle, Amazon and Google

Oracle has a fantastic deal of 2x 480mbit internet, 50gb storage, 1 core cpu, 1gb ram for free.
I forgot the bandwidth cap but it wasnt that bad.
I recommend you checking it out. I've only tried Oracles "Always free" pack, but it's good.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:21 PM by Shadow.97 »

June 01, 2020, 09:18 PM
Reply #241
  • Global Moderator
Oracle has a fantastic deal of 2x 480mbit internet, 50gb storage, 1 core cpu, 1gb ram for free.

I assume you're referring to hosting a web site. If so I don't understand something. Bandwidth of 480mbps and 50GB storage makes sense. What about this business of 1 core cpu and 1gb of ram? I was under the impression that organizations that host web sites have all kinds of servers in air-conditioned rooms to keep them cool. Please explain.

If they're doing this for free then how do they make money? Do they force you to put ads on your site or what?

June 02, 2020, 07:55 PM
Reply #242

I assume you're referring to hosting a web site. If so I don't understand something. Bandwidth of 480mbps and 50GB storage makes sense. What about this business of 1 core cpu and 1gb of ram? I was under the impression that organizations that host web sites have all kinds of servers in air-conditioned rooms to keep them cool. Please explain.

If they're doing this for free then how do they make money? Do they force you to put ads on your site or what?

Nope, they earn the money by the 'advertisement' that you will good-mouth them and people learn how to use their cloud service, which means people wont want to re-learn the things on google etc :) Oracle is a massive company who made Java if i remember correctly. They also had Oracle Database which we use at work. They arent really a 'broke' company. A net income increase of $11.08 billion dollars last year according to wikipedia. Probably just a penny in the bank for them
These are generally "older" servers with lets say, 12 cores total, and then the server hosts 12 virtual machines, and you get one of those virtual machines.
It's really cool.
You can host anything, like games, homepages, whatever you can install on a laptop with 1gb ram, 1core cpu and command line interface only.

You connect through SSH to Linux based servers, and RDP to windows based ones. However windows is not free as it requires license. And, i'd not recommend it due to how resource heavy it is compared to lighter weight linux boxes.

This offer of free hosting could be made to host your very own VPN, with your very own IP that you can port forward.
Great if you're not able to port fortward and want to share some files over FTP as a server or something.

July 02, 2020, 11:17 AM
Reply #243
  • Global Moderator
The forum is pretty calm. Sometimes, I see some former members, but new messages are scarce. But I know shadow.97 and Vasudev are still hanging around here
At the moment, I have no new repack to offer, but there will be Amnesia: Rebirth pretty soon. And in 2 weeks, there will be new versions of windows 10 and windows 7.
Note that I'm going to present another recipe tonight.
As far as the stock markets are concerned, I think the US equity market is too expensive. The firms that we call "Gafam" have price earning ratios above 30. Amazon PER is reaching 138 ! And Tesla stock price is stratospheric. In the current context, I think there is going to be a correction, and I advise you to be cautious.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:22 AM by scarface »