• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Firefox Quantum and the future

Started by humbert, October 27, 2017, 05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 09, 2017, 08:13 AM
BTW, you can try FF58 Quantum edition developer alpha

Have you tried it? If so, what's your take on it?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 11, 2017, 06:47 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 09, 2017, 08:13 AM
BTW, you can try FF58 Quantum edition developer alpha

Have you tried it? If so, what's your take on it?
Couple of reddit users claimed they actually from Chrome to FF 58 when Chrome made their PC slow eventhough they had modern hardware. Chrome is bloatware according to them.
I haven't tried it. Good news, finally DownthemAll author is making a web extension and putting aside the difference. I think he intends to target Chrome users as well.

PANZER24

Well, firefox quantom really impressed me!!!Can you please guys give the requirements(pc specs) because I want to know if my pc can handle this!!!and also, will it work faster than google chrome even if the connection is low and the debit is under 100kb/s????

Vasudev

Quote from: PANZER24 on November 11, 2017, 01:47 PM
Well, firefox quantom really impressed me!!!Can you please guys give the requirements(pc specs) because I want to know if my pc can handle this!!!and also, will it work faster than google chrome even if the connection is low and the debit is under 100kb/s????
With that connection speed of 12.5KBps I don't think FF or chrome would suffice. Might try Opera. Just use Google DNS for lower latency and better protection.
XP won't work on FF55 and above. I hope you've got Win 7 x64.

PANZER24

Quote from: Vasudev on November 11, 2017, 04:08 PM
With that connection speed of 12.5KBps I don't think FF or chrome would suffice. Might try Opera. Just use Google DNS for lower latency and better protection.
Will a pentuim 4 and 1gb ram computer handle windows 7 x64!!!!I'm just asking!!!?

Vasudev

Quote from: PANZER24 on November 11, 2017, 04:31 PM
Will a pentuim 4 and 1gb ram computer handle windows 7 x64!!!!I'm just asking!!!?
No. Its time to switch to a newer PC, I think. Even MSI afterburner will be too harsh on that hardware. Stick to your handycam video.

PANZER24

Quote from: Vasudev on November 11, 2017, 07:49 PM
Quote from: PANZER24 on November 11, 2017, 04:31 PM
No. Its time to switch to a newer PC, I think. Even MSI afterburner will be too harsh on that hardware. Stick to your handycam video.
Like it seems too easy to me!!!I have an ASUS X200MA notebook with 2gb ram and intel celeron N2840 and Windows 8 x86, will it work on this!!!?

humbert

Panzer -> You should be able to run the 32bit version of Firefox Quantum on your system without much of a problem. It uses less RAM than previous version and just plain runs better. With respect to Windows 7-64 on your system, I would stick with 32bit. It's not the Pentium 4, it's the fact that you have too little RAM. 32bit systems can address 4 GB of memory, or more exactly 232 bytes. 64bit takes that up to 264 bytes, which is a lot more. This means 64bit systems are designed to run with as much memory as possible. Is there any way you can convince your father to add more RAM to your computer? For your system memory should be pretty cheap.

With respect to Chrome 59 and higher, after plenty of testing I must disagree with people at Reddit. There indeed is bloat, but the browser is also highly configurable. Most of the bloat can be disabled in the settings or there are addon that'll take care of them. I've found it to be fast, responsive and stable, even on slow systems. I run both Chrome and Firefox 57 side by side, usually depending on the site I'm visiting.

Vasudev

Quote from: PANZER24 on November 11, 2017, 08:29 PM

With respect to Chrome 59 and higher, after plenty of testing I must disagree with people at Reddit. There indeed is bloat, but the browser is also highly configurable. Most of the bloat can be disabled in the settings or there are addon that'll take care of them. I've found it to be fast, responsive and stable, even on slow systems. I run both Chrome and Firefox 57 side by side, usually depending on the site I'm visiting.
I use only one browser. I did find chrome to be a resource hog than firefox even w/o FF quantum.
Try the default h264 encoder using CPU at half frame rate or full frame rate.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 12, 2017, 07:51 AM
I use only one browser. I did find chrome to be a resource hog than firefox even w/o FF quantum.

FF57 is indeed as fast or faster than Chrome. Not so for previous versions. FF56 and older took a few seconds to load and do anything, Chrome did it almost immediately. Fortunately old versions of Firefox are history.

Quote from: Vasudev on November 12, 2017, 07:51 AM
Try the default h264 encoder using CPU at half frame rate or full frame rate.

Is this a Firefox addon? If so, then is it used to play videos inside the browser from sites such as [for example] Youtube or Vimeo?