• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

"We will bury you!!!" Elbrus4 - new russian CPU for desktops.

Started by Daniil, April 30, 2014, 04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Isn't VLIW architecture used for superscalar cores in gpu?

Daniil

Quote from: Vasudev on January 16, 2015, 12:51 PM
Isn't VLIW architecture used for superscalar cores in gpu?
Yes, sort of. AMD/ATI in their GPU used their implementation of VLIW.

humbert

Aside from the technical aspects of the Elbrus, what I still don't understand is - why build this thing at all? What do you do with it after you manufactured it? Are they planning to sell it to compete with Intel and AMD? I certainly hope that's the idea, we need a 3rd player in the desktop CPU market.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 17, 2015, 05:23 AM
Aside from the technical aspects of the Elbrus, what I still don't understand is - why build this thing at all? What do you do with it after you manufactured it? Are they planning to sell it to compete with Intel and AMD? I certainly hope that's the idea, we need a 3rd player in the desktop CPU market.
No they are not planning to *even* compete with AMD & Intel. Military guys make their own product for the best security possible and not on power consumption. They also look for vulnerabilities & lot of other things.
Look at this bug on Haswell cpu's http://www.pcworld.com/article/2464880/intel-finds-specialized-tsx-enterprise-bug-on-haswell-broadwell-cpus.html

humbert

OK, now it makes sense. With respect to the bug in Intel's Haswell and Broadwell line of CPU's, mistakes and bugs will be with us forever, at least with the Elbrus they don't have to depend on Intel for a fix. Back in 1995 the first edition of Intel's Pentium processor had a serious bug with the FPU. It you did some division calculations with the Windows calculator, it would often give you the wrong answer.

Daniil

I have a news today. ;D

First modification of Elbrus is at stores in Moscow!

"Elbrus-401" PC basic configuration:
- CPU: "Elbrus 4S"@800MHz
- RAM: 24 Gb DDR3-1600 (3 lines with 8 Gbs)
- Video: Silicon Motion SM718 16Mb VRAM + AMD Radeon HD6970 2Gb
- SSD from 128 up to 512 Gb.

Current price: ~$3930  >:(

in case

motherboard with CPU

Vasudev

It looks like an old motherboard and older components. But I always keep this in mind "Don't judge a book by its cover". For the same price you could buy an high end assembled PC.

Daniil

Yes, I can buy high end PC for a price half of this.
But, first of all, now this PC is more a server solution, or a computational device than a PC for users. 24 gigs of memory useless for most of users, but required if you calculating something big in apps like ANSYS of SIEMENS PLM. Video card here is also not for gaming but for GPGPU calculations.
Today this "Elbrus" isn't a good buy, but the tendency looks good - less than a year ago I can't even imagine that MCST will start to sell their processors to private users.

Vasudev

Quote from: Daniil on December 16, 2015, 08:51 AM
Yes, I can buy high end PC for a price half of this.
But, first of all, now this PC is more a server solution, or a computational device than a PC for users. 24 gigs of memory useless for most of users, but required if you calculating something big in apps like ANSYS of SIEMENS PLM. Video card here is also not for gaming but for GPGPU calculations.
Today this "Elbrus" isn't a good buy, but the tendency looks good - less than a year ago I can't even imagine that MCST will start to sell their processors to private users.
Just now, I saw its specs and pricing is competitive. 250GFLOPS on CPU is incredible and I'd pay anything for getting that and also TDP <100W which is more future proof system but its sole purpose is for very intense file server or a compute server.  i'd go with fury x since it has more compute power.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 16, 2015, 12:13 PM
Just now, I saw its specs and pricing is competitive. 250GFLOPS on CPU is incredible and I'd pay anything for getting that and also TDP <100W which is more future proof system but its sole purpose is for very intense file server or a compute server.  i'd go with fury x since it has more compute power.

I don't understand something. This thing has a clock speed of 800Mhz. My Core i7-4790 does 4 Ghz. I realize clock speed alone isn't everything, but at the same time I have a hard time believing this thing goes more than 4 times per cycle more than the i7-4790.

I should also mention it uses DDR3 memory. The DDR4 specification is already out, only for high end machines.

I have 24 Gb of memory on my system. This is because I like using large ramdisks where I can put all my temporary files. It's also the place for cookies, history and other gargage. The beauty of it is when I turn the PC off it all disappears. Another benefit is I run my system with no swap file at all.