• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Hackintosh Anyone?

Started by akaubee, November 26, 2018, 02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

When it comes to Linux distros, Mint is my favorite. It's got pretty much everything, it's easy to configure and fully supports 4K screens.

Of course I agree with the wiki article Scarface mentioned. Apple makes every attempt to monopolize everything and have full and total control. You are stuck in their world and paying for it. I would never get an Apple product, not even for free.

akaubee

Anyway, I'm done with mac os on laptop. Now I am trying to install w7 on my kaby lake cpu which will be a struggle for me.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 30, 2018, 05:06 AM
When it comes to Linux distros, Mint is my favorite. It's got pretty much everything, it's easy to configure and fully supports 4K screens.

Of course I agree with the wiki article Scarface mentioned. Apple makes every attempt to monopolize everything and have full and total control. You are stuck in their world and paying for it. I would never get an Apple product, not even for free.

I suggest trying Debian with cinnamon desktop. It's my personal favorite for desktop usage.
Unless if we count for gaming.

I use it without almost any additional configuration on my laptop.

Vasudev

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 02, 2018, 02:41 AM

I suggest trying Debian with cinnamon desktop. It's my personal favorite for desktop usage.

Alienware?

Shadow.97

Quote from: Vasudev on December 02, 2018, 05:48 PM

Alienware?
Not alienware, I got full refund on it after 2~3years after it started breaking down repeatedly :(

I got a laptop for free a while ago, an i3 5005u, 4gb ram, and 500gb hdd.
I put in 4gb extra, and an ssd.
Debian is quite a nice little OS, primarily for surfing, blender and the likes.

humbert

I searched on Google. There are at least 11 Linux distros based on Debian. Is there any real difference between any of these and Debian itself other than the apps that come with it? I assume the kernel must be identical.

My copy of Mint which I run under VirtualBox also comes with the Cinnamon desktop. Mate is available too.

Is Debian your primary OS, or do you only run it on your laptop for work?

I've never played a high-powered game under Linux (any distro), but I assume it must run like a beast, even on older machines. Just one thing -- do any of you guys know of a brand of gaming mice that supports Linux? This is the sad part. Due to lack of support a good gaming mouse with lots of buttons is about as useful as a cheap, basic mouse.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on October 13, 2020, 05:36 AM

I searched on Google. There are at least 11 Linux distros based on Debian. Is there any real difference between any of these and Debian itself other than the apps that come with it? I assume the kernel must be identical.

My copy of Mint which I run under VirtualBox also comes with the Cinnamon desktop. Mate is available too.

Is Debian your primary OS, or do you only run it on your laptop for work?

I've never played a high-powered game under Linux (any distro), but I assume it must run like a beast, even on older machines. Just one thing -- do any of you guys know of a brand of gaming mice that supports Linux? This is the sad part. Due to lack of support a good gaming mouse with lots of buttons is about as useful as a cheap, basic mouse.

Zowie has amazing mice that dont use any software. Never had any issues with Linux with it.
Not had much issues with mice in general in linux honestly.

Down at the core, I'm not entirely sure what the difference is more than Ubuntu seems to be a set-in-stone office use distro(if we look past ubuntu server).
I just prefer the documentation, and that when you google things the questions and answers seem to be better formulated if you replace it with "debian" in the query instead of "ubuntu".

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on October 14, 2020, 05:00 AM
Zowie has amazing mice that dont use any software. Never had any issues with Linux with it.

It's not the mouse, it's the software. It lets you program the buttons according to the game you're playing so you can keep your eyes on the screen and not chase down keyboard commands. There are, of course, different profiles according the the game (or app) you're on. All this works because I'm on Windows. Logitech (in my case) doesn't support Linux nor will it allow anyone to use its proprietary code to write a Linux app that allows you to program the mouse. I don't know of any other mouse that has Linux software. I don't know too much about Zowie, but based on what you're telling me there's no way to program the buttons. What's the point of having buttons that do just one thing and can't be changed?

Down at the core, I'm not entirely sure what the difference is more than Ubuntu seems to be a set-in-stone office use distro(if we look past ubuntu server).
I just prefer the documentation, and that when you google things the questions and answers seem to be better formulated if you replace it with "debian" in the query instead of "ubuntu".

I don't like Ubuntu one bit! Its desktop program is pure garbage, nor do I like the software it comes with. I checked out quite a few distros, so far in my opinion Mint is the best.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on October 15, 2020, 05:41 AM

It's not the mouse, it's the software. It lets you program the buttons according to the game you're playing so you can keep your eyes on the screen and not chase down keyboard commands. There are, of course, different profiles according the the game (or app) you're on. All this works because I'm on Windows. Logitech (in my case) doesn't support Linux nor will it allow anyone to use its proprietary code to write a Linux app that allows you to program the mouse. I don't know of any other mouse that has Linux software. I don't know too much about Zowie, but based on what you're telling me there's no way to program the buttons. What's the point of having buttons that do just one thing and can't be changed?

I don't like Ubuntu one bit! Its desktop program is pure garbage, nor do I like the software it comes with. I checked out quite a few distros, so far in my opinion Mint is the best.
Mouse software is the abomination of all mice. You can still bind the buttons in games, and other software that are made for it.
If you need macros, there are better alternatives

On windows I'd use AHK software to make macros, or combine it with QMK.
On linux i'd use something like https://github.com/david-janssen/kmonad

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on October 17, 2020, 07:18 AM
Mouse software is the abomination of all mice. You can still bind the buttons in games, and other software that are made for it.
If you need macros, there are better alternatives

I had no idea you could write macros or use "3rd party software" to program mouse buttons. Can this be done in ALL mice? I'd think a big company like Logitech would go out of their way to prevent users from using anything but their software.

Why do you believe mouse software is an abomination? The Logitech software I use for my G300S works quite well. It just sits in the background and lets you do all kinds of thing with the mouse, including control the illumination and colors. I suppose my only complaint is that on my 4K display you almost need a magnifying glass to read it.