• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on March 21, 2022, 10:20 AM5) in US is believed that Vietnam War was a horrible mistake.

In this country propaganda changes with the times. People laugh when the paranoid beliefs of the 1960's are mentioned. The fact that this war was a huge mistake is common knowledge. That's what everyone believes, including those in government. It's not necessarily the official policy, it's an opinion based on historical facts. I hope this is what you were asking me. If you're curious about something else, by all  means let me know.

I should also mention that it's not even close to the first time the government as made grave mistakes and/or not acted in the interest of American citizens. Indeed, historically the worst abuses have been committed against the American people themselves.

Quote from: Daniil on March 21, 2022, 10:20 AMAnd, finally (in 1-st statement) - I can't believe that only a paranoid ideas of some of officials could push such a large country as US into a big war. I.e., I really can't believe! All of us are knows, that in democracy countries there is large system of of checks and balances, preventing to rising to power psychically unstable people and blocking society from too emotional actions of politicans.

I suppose the best explanation would be to take the situation that existed at the time and add terror. America and the west in general were locked in a cold war with the Soviet Union. Both powers were fighting over every piece of territory they could get, and the ultimate aim of both was to subdue the other. It wasn't just the people at the top who believed this, many mainstream Americans believed it too. That's why at first there was support for the war. Support began to deteriorate as it became apparent that this war could not be "won" and that the Vietnamese had no intention of going beyond South Vietnam. 

Quote from: Daniil on March 21, 2022, 10:20 AMAgain, thank you very much for your explanations. It's very, extremely interesting to understand a view "from other side". It helps to understand ongoing events better and learn us alot.

I also appreciate your input. It's very important to gather as much information as possible and try to see thing from the other side's point of view.

Quote from: Daniil on March 21, 2022, 10:20 AMThings is much more complicated, then you imagine, mr.Humbert. Modern dictature in Russia is very different of what you can imagine basing on dystopian books and films. We all know about all of this you mentioned. We can't DO anything! I'll explain this later. Before this, please answer me to my questions in previous passage of this post.

You live in Russia and are pretty much in the middle of this problem. All I have is press reports from as many sources as I can get. We all know that (1) press reports are often inaccurate, and (2) the press reports the news in such a way as it agrees with their opinions. That's why your opinion is important. By all means tell me how things are from your perspective. No need to repeat Putin propaganda, trust me we know all about it  :) Here on TV we see Putin talking, with English subtitles to translate his words.

I should also mention that, unfortunately, the despot has closed off your access to news services other than his propaganda. Sanitized pro-Putin news is all you get. You're not getting the full pictures of what's happening in Ukraine or anywhere else. Putin is a pathological liar. If Putin was right then why does he restrict your access to other news sources? His news sources are not restricted here. I can easily access his Russia Today web site.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 21, 2022, 11:30 AMI'm having a hard time reading the text on the background on my primary monitor after the theme was changed. Works fine on my secondary, but it feels like I have to squint with my eyes for some reason.. :'D Atleast forum works now!
Cant wait to get a new monitor. These old TN 144hz monitors are not great for reading on. The white/gray/black is atrocious after a few years of usage.

I have Dark Reader on my browser. This new interface looks great with this addon. Without it the display is very bright and hard on the eyes. I have a 32" Samsung 4k monitor I bought on sale with a GTX-970 Nvidia card. The card is old but upgrading is financially impossible -- assuming you can even find a card at all. You know the reason.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on March 23, 2022, 04:37 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 21, 2022, 11:30 AMI'm having a hard time reading the text on the background on my primary monitor after the theme was changed. Works fine on my secondary, but it feels like I have to squint with my eyes for some reason.. :'D Atleast forum works now!
Cant wait to get a new monitor. These old TN 144hz monitors are not great for reading on. The white/gray/black is atrocious after a few years of usage.

I have Dark Reader on my browser. This new interface looks great with this addon. Without it the display is very bright and hard on the eyes. I have a 32" Samsung 4k monitor I bought on sale with a GTX-970 Nvidia card. The card is old but upgrading is financially impossible -- assuming you can even find a card at all. You know the reason.

I'm just waiting to get a new monitor until I move countries again :) I used to use dark reader  ( https://darkreader.org/help/en/ )  but got performance issues and didnt like the "white flash" that then turned dark until plugin had fully loaded the site

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 23, 2022, 10:09 AMI'm just waiting to get a new monitor until I move countries again :) I used to use dark reader  ( https://darkreader.org/help/en/ )  but got performance issues and didnt like the "white flash" that then turned dark until plugin had fully loaded the site

I never had a problem with Dark Reader. In any case are you using another darkening extension or putting up with an uncomfortably bright display?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on March 24, 2022, 03:47 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 23, 2022, 10:09 AMI'm just waiting to get a new monitor until I move countries again :) I used to use dark reader  ( https://darkreader.org/help/en/ )  but got performance issues and didnt like the "white flash" that then turned dark until plugin had fully loaded the site

I never had a problem with Dark Reader. In any case are you using another darkening extension or putting up with an uncomfortably bright display?
I ended up zooming in to %120 to be able to see properly :)
Regarding brightness, it's not a huge issue. Just some fonts being problematic. Although I almost always prefer dark mode.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on March 23, 2022, 04:32 AMI should also mention that, unfortunately, the despot has closed off your access to news services other than his propaganda. Sanitized pro-Putin news is all you get. You're not getting the full pictures of what's happening in Ukraine or anywhere else. Putin is a pathological liar. If Putin was right then why does he restrict your access to other news sources? His news sources are not restricted here. I can easily access his Russia Today web site.
That's not true actually. Only some of topmost and most official western news services (like english "The Times") and services of Meta corporation (like Facebook) are closed. Also, many of russian oppositional press are banned, but that's not a big problem, IMHO, because they are very rusophobic. Some of less rusophobic, "normal" oppositional/liberal news services, like an "Echo of Moskow" was disbanded by themself, as a protest against "denazification operation". And that's not good, because they were a good opposition platform, a counterweight to Kremlin politics.
Here, everybody who want, in fact, can found what's going on in Ukraine. TOR, proxies, VPN (for those who are brave and dumb enough) are working, so, if you can configure your PC or smartphone, you can get info. The trouble is not in info inaccessibility.

Also, mr.Humbert, you didn't answer to my question about your statement, which I numbered as #2. Here is this question:
Quote from: Daniil on March 21, 2022, 10:20 AMThen, you said (in 2-nd statement), that US didn't destroy Vietnam. Maybe I, because of difference of our languages, didn't understand real meaning of word "destroy", and under "destroy" you meant "destroy politiaclly, prevent to be separate country"? Because, I understand word "destroy" as "ruin all the infrastructure, kill the dwellers, make a country impossible to live there", etc.
I'm asking again. You said that US didn't destroy Vietnam. Am I misunderstand something in mention of word "destroy"? Or US actually destroyed Vietnam?
Also, why you didn't answer me first time? Is arguing about that is uncomfortable for you?

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on March 25, 2022, 11:04 AMHere, everybody who want, in fact, can found what's going on in Ukraine. TOR, proxies, VPN (for those who are brave and dumb enough) are working, so, if you can configure your PC or smartphone, you can get info. The trouble is not in info inaccessibility.

Do you guys REALLY know what's going on in Ukraine -- or at least what the "prohibited" press is saying? I'm asking because I recall at one time you said Ukraine had nuclear weapons and that Javelins were ineffective against Russian tanks. This is pure Putin propaganda. If Ukraine had nukes the time to use them is when you're under attack, otherwise why have them at all? Also, at last report Putin has lost 549 tanks to the Javelins -- not even counting those where the tank crew surrendered because they were hungry and had frostbite. Ukraine has so many captured Russian weapons that Zelensky the other day joked that Russia had become one of Ukraine's major weapon suppliers!

A few days after the invasion I believed this was 1939 all over again. I was wrong. It's much worse than that.

Quote from: Daniil on March 25, 2022, 11:04 AMthat US didn't destroy Vietnam. Maybe I, because of difference of our languages, didn't understand real meaning of word "destroy", and under "destroy" you meant "destroy politiaclly, prevent to be separate country"? Because, I understand word "destroy" as "ruin all the infrastructure, kill the dwellers, make a country impossible to live there", etc.

There is confusion on the definition of "destroyed". I believe it means the total obliteration of a country where it can never again recover. Despite everything that happened, Vietnam was nowhere near destruction (as I define it). Just 3 years after the war with the USA ended they were able to mount an offensive against Cambodia, and took Phnom Penh in less than 3 months.

Shadow.97

Been thinking more and more to quit my job and move back to Sweden. It's fascinating how much energy it takes to go through with it and actually start process.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 26, 2022, 11:03 PMBeen thinking more and more to quit my job and move back to Sweden. It's fascinating how much energy it takes to go through with it and actually start process.

I was under the impression you were happy over there and making big money. Could you get a job in Sweden and earn the same as in Dublin? Also: Would you be moving back in with your parents? That sucks!

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on March 28, 2022, 05:40 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 26, 2022, 11:03 PMBeen thinking more and more to quit my job and move back to Sweden. It's fascinating how much energy it takes to go through with it and actually start process.

I was under the impression you were happy over there and making big money. Could you get a job in Sweden and earn the same as in Dublin? Also: Would you be moving back in with your parents? That sucks!
Accomodation is brutally expensive for low quality, and buying a place to live permanently is not an option. + Missing irl friends.
I'm at the point where I'm looking to buy an apartment. A mediocre paying job would be ok as it would allow me to get a loan. If I move back to my home town I have a close friend who would be willing to be willing to move in just to avoid living with his parents. So at that point I'd be paying next to nothing for my own place to live.

I currently live in 10 square meters including kitchen, bed, computer space, and around 2.5 sqm bathroom. No corridor, halway etc. No storage space.
It's cramped, very cramped.
I cant have a future here due to apartments and houses being too expensive. Generally speaking they have a starting price of 350k euro, but very VERY rarely go for that. They usually go for 450k+.
And to be able to afford that, I'd either have to take a loan that drowns me in payments or get a co-signer.
If I were to take a loan for a place costing 350k I wouldn't have the freedom of being able to be unemployed.

I'd be looking to spend 100k-170k euro in Sweden on a 2-3 bedroom apartment somewhat central, with a repayment rate of around 500 euro per month. I currently got approx 100k saved up which would get me a pretty neat place.

Moving back would result in living with family short term, but most likely would just occupy their summer house, meaning I'd be alone most of the time. Bad part about that would be that it's going to be hard going to get groceries without a car. No busses really operate in the area, and it's too far by bike.
If I end up living with parents house, i'll occupy the basement. But it is certainly a stress factor having to hide myself in a way from them. Even if I love spending time with them, I dont have energy for a lot of questioning, pressuring etc they put me under. Even if it is just them trying to help me.

Job wise: I love the job, but I'm starting to have issues with the crampedness in my accomodation and the constant change of night/day shift, and I got news that it will likely be after the coming new year that they may permit a country move. Depending on if their contract gets renewed. But because there's no promise if the contract gets renewed with their client there is a risk I'll be without my nice position and there is still a risk I wont be allowed to move. Perhaps they're just baiting me to stay? I wouldn't know.
There's a lot of positives and negatives in staying and leaving. Nothing is obvious in what to do.  But I'm for sure tired of my living situation here.

Sorry if it became a bit incoherent. Edited text left and right.