• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Today, I'm going to send you a riddle.

Look at the photo below.

You can see a small truckle of cheese and a piece of bread. In the background, you may have noticed the bottle of white wine.
But what is the French name of this cheese? this is the riddle. I would like to invite the most courageous users to take up the challenge.
If you look carefully at the picture below, you'll find a clue.

scarface

I guess some users found the answer to the riddle but they were probably too shy to give it on the forum.
The little cheese in the previous message is a crottin de chèvre, a goat cheese produced in the Loire Valley.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe on the forum.

Look carefully at the photo below.

What you see is certainly a healthy meal made of chopped spinach and pâté. If you are looking at the glass, you must think that the color of the wine is somewhat unusual. Were it a claret, I wouldn't drink it. Actually, this is a glass of orange juice.

On the left of the picture, you can see the Pâté: this is a French term used to describe a dish made from a mixture of ground meat and fat. Traditionally, pâtés include organ meat; liver is the most commonly used, as it contributes positively to both the earthy flavor and the spreadable texture of the pâté.
If you are vegan you must be think this pâté is just fuming and slaughtered animal meat. Hopefully, this is not the case: It's an excellent pâté de campagne. You should care about the sourcing of your meat. Purchase from a trusted butcher to make sure it's high-quality and fresh.

Vasudev and humbert may find the green stuff disgusting. But this leafy vegetable, known as spinach, is considered a superfood because of the loads of nutrients and low-calorie that it possesses. Some of the powerful health benefits of spinach are that this vegetable helps stabilise your blood glucose levels, helps in reducing your risk of developing cancer and is good for bone health.
If you want to be as strong as Popeye, you should probably add spinach to your diet.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 16, 2022, 11:02 PMVasudev and humbert may find the green stuff disgusting. But this leafy vegetable, known as spinach, is considered a superfood because of the loads of nutrients and low-calorie that it possesses. Some of the powerful health benefits of spinach are that this vegetable helps stabilise your blood glucose levels, helps in reducing your risk of developing cancer and is good for bone health.

Actually I like spinach. The only reason I don't eat it more often is because I don't have the time nor the interest to cook a meal. I just open a can or defrost frozen food in the microwave. When it comes to eating I'm like a cockroach: I eat just about anything. If it were up to me I wouldn't eat at all. Unfortunately I have no say in the matter.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on May 16, 2022, 11:02 PMTonight, I'm going to present another recipe on the forum.

What you see is certainly a healthy meal made of chopped spinach and pâté. If you are looking at the glass, you must think that the color of the wine is somewhat unusual. Were it a claret, I wouldn't drink it. Actually, this is a glass of orange juice.

On the left of the picture, you can see the Pâté: this is a French term used to describe a dish made from a mixture of ground meat and fat. Traditionally, pâtés include organ meat; liver is the most commonly used, as it contributes positively to both the earthy flavor and the spreadable texture of the pâté.
If you are vegan you must be think this pâté is just fuming and slaughtered animal meat. Hopefully, this is not the case: It's an excellent pâté de campagne. You should care about the sourcing of your meat. Purchase from a trusted butcher to make sure it's high-quality and fresh.

Vasudev and humbert may find the green stuff disgusting. But this leafy vegetable, known as spinach, is considered a superfood because of the loads of nutrients and low-calorie that it possesses. Some of the powerful health benefits of spinach are that this vegetable helps stabilise your blood glucose levels, helps in reducing your risk of developing cancer and is good for bone health.
If you want to be as strong as Popeye, you should probably add spinach to your diet.

I stopped chicken almost decades ago. Only eat veggies, fish and mutton(rare).

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on May 17, 2022, 05:10 PMI stopped chicken almost decades ago. Only eat veggies, fish and mutton(rare).
This is a pretty healthy diet. For proteins, I remember you said you had eggs too.

Actually, I didn't want to spoil the myth of the French pâté de campagne (country pâté) so I didn't reveal the content of this pâté. What's more, the adjective excellent was used to describe this pâté. But you don't know if this mark of excellence refers to the taste or the quality of the meat.
At this point, humbert and Maher probably think that this excellent pâté is a foie gras made from the livers of fattened geese raised outdoors. Technically, foie gras is a kind of pâté even if you never refer to it as pâté because of its elevated status. As far as this pâté de campagne is concerned, it is pork-based, made of pork neck and liver. In other pâtés de campagne you may also find chicken liver.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another cheese.

Look at the photo below.

Maybe some of you know this cheese, known as Roquefort. It is probably the most famous French blue cheese. It is made from the milk of one single breed of sheep, the Lacaune. However, I don't know if humbert tasted it because it's banned in the United States. In this picture, you can also see a glass of red wine of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. This wine is the true flagship of the wines of the Rhône Valley. Known throughout the world for its famous terroirs of rolled pebbles, it produces wines with intense colours and powerful, fine and complex aromas. The rich aromas of ripe fruit, truffle, mushroom and undergrowth dominate; they are accompanied by spicy and wild notes of the Provençal garrigue.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe.
Look carefully at the photos below.

What you see is a knuckle of ham (un jambonneau in French) with fresh peas.
But we need to cook the knuckle of ham first. Humbert, Vasudev and Maher are certainly wondering how long it takes to cook such a big chunk of pork meat: 30 minutes? One hour? Actually it took 2 hours. This jambonneau will last through several meals.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on May 16, 2022, 11:02 PMTonight, I'm going to present another recipe on the forum.

Spinach is one of my favorite foods, especially stewed.
I found yours to be quite dark colored.

Paté is something I would put on bread, but not eat separately.
If I have spinach I usually eat it in a bowl by itself as a snack.
If I have it with something else it is usually fish and potato.

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 04, 2022, 03:00 AMSpinach is one of my favorite foods, especially stewed.
I found yours to be quite dark colored.

Paté is something I would put on bread, but not eat separately.
If I have spinach I usually eat it in a bowl by itself as a snack.
If I have it with something else it is usually fish and potato.
The colour of the spinach doesn't look accurate indeed. But this photo was taken with flash and it might brighten the colours. What's more, there is a lamp on the left of the table. And if you're taking a photo next to a warm light source, it automatically makes the image a bit bluer.
As for the pâté, you are right, it doesn't pair well with spinach indeed.

The photo below was taken from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofLnai7Yk4
Apparently the only way to get this strong is to eat spinach.