• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 23, 2022, 06:02 AMI didn't measure the MEGA download speed, but I do recall that each 700 MB took 3-4 minutes. MEGA's software will not allow you to use IDM. I have Google Fiber with gives me 1gbps up and down. If there had been no throttling and IDM would have taken over the download, we'd be talking maybe 15 seconds.

I use both Firefox and the Iron browser. This is a carbon copy of Google Chrome without the tracking. There are some sites that prefer Firefox and others that prefer Iron (or Chrome). MEGA is a good example. I couldn't download with Firefox, and with Iron only with the incognito mode disabled. In both cases I did not install their addon. I'm assuming this is what MEGA wants you to do.
Firefox is slow esp. with huge files on mega.nz and chrome has better storage speed and handle huge files at the expense of RAM and CPU.

humbert

Has anyone actually did a full-fledged upgrade to Windows 11, or are we all still in the testing stage? I haven't upgraded because as of this writing there's still not enough support. If there's a program knows as "Windows 11 Privacy" (or similar) I've yet to see it. As I said before, on VirtualBox it runs great and even boots up almost immediately.

As is typical of M$, they've already said that in order to upgrade to Alder Lake (Intel's latest as of this writing) you must use W11. This is, of course, barring some 3rd party drivers that can take full advantage of Alder Lake on W10 or less.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 03, 2022, 04:39 AMHas anyone actually did a full-fledged upgrade to Windows 11, or are we all still in the testing stage? I haven't upgraded because as of this writing there's still not enough support. If there's a program knows as "Windows 11 Privacy" (or similar) I've yet to see it. As I said before, on VirtualBox it runs great and even boots up almost immediately.

As is typical of M$, they've already said that in order to upgrade to Alder Lake (Intel's latest as of this writing) you must use W11. This is, of course, barring some 3rd party drivers that can take full advantage of Alder Lake on W10 or less.
Yes, I used my W10 regedits on Win 11 and couple of new things specific to Win 11.
For ADL or newer Ryzen's you need Win 11 to take full advantage.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 03, 2022, 07:18 PMYes, I used my W10 regedits on Win 11 and couple of new things specific to Win 11.
For ADL or newer Ryzen's you need Win 11 to take full advantage.

It's always the same story -- sooner or later we will have no choice but to upgrade. It's just that now is not the time. Let's wait for newer hacks and other stuff.

Shadow.97

I love how manufacturers list devices as shipping with both windows 10 and 11, seems like even they can't tell the difference.. :')

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 04, 2022, 08:09 AMI love how manufacturers list devices as shipping with both windows 10 and 11, seems like even they can't tell the difference.. :')

I'm thinking they mean W10 preinstalled with am available free upgrade to W11. Then again, I haven't heard that M$ is charging W10 users to upgrade to W11.

scarface

Note that new versions of windows 10 & 7 will be available on the forum soon. Since windows 11 has bugs, there will be no more new versions for the moment.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on May 13, 2022, 11:42 AMNote that new versions of windows 10 & 7 will be available on the forum soon. Since windows 11 has bugs, there will be no more new versions for the moment.
Also 20HX Win10 is EOL and users need 21H1 or hiher to get updates. Damn, two more years and Win 10 will be dead. I don't think people will miss W10 unlike XP and 7.

scarface

Note that new versions of windows 7 and windows 10 are available here:
https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14153.msg37204#msg37204

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 15, 2022, 12:23 AMNote that new versions of windows 7 and windows 10 are available here:

Who's still using Windows 7? M$ stopped supporting it long ago.  It's not like XP. By this I mean that those who were still using XP had old systems and it was financially impossible for them to upgrade. M$ made it very clear that any computer than ran W7 could run W8 and subsequently W10. It was with W11 that they drew the line, and even then you could alter W11 to get around this limitation.