• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Note that I will take new photos during the week end for humbert and the users of the forum.
I will add comments in the previous message too.

scarface

Note that I will post comments for the previous message as well as new photos later this week.

scarface

Tonight, new photos are available on the photos on the forum. You are going to discover the museum of Modern Art of Paris.

The action takes place far from indiscreet ears, on the esplanade of Trocadero, facing the Eiffel Tower.
You can see a lot of street vendors.

This triumphant statue is located in the center of Place d'Iena in Paris. It depicts George Washington (1732–1799) as he would have appeared during the American Revolutionary War, when he served as General and Commander in Chief of the Continental Army

On the avenue du président Wilson

In front of the Galliera Palace, actually a fashion musem. It is housed in a Renaissance palace referring to the Italian buildings of this period. His collection includes clothing and fashion accessories presenting the history of fashion from the eighteenth century to modern times. Currently, the Museum organizes only temporary exhibitions, mainly monographic ones devoted to specific designers and their works.
Apparently there is a tramp in front of the palace, with all his belongings.

The Palais de Tokyo. This is where we go to visit the museum of modern art of Paris.

The parvis of the museum of modern art is composed of two terraces separated by wide stairs and located between the Museum of Modern Art and the Palais de Tokyo.

The first room is a large gallery which features dazzling artworks by great French masters such as Sonia and Robert Delaunay (including their monumental series Rhythm), Raoul Dufy, André Lhote, and Albert Gleizes. This space also offers breathtaking views on the Museum's esplanade, the River Seine, and the Eiffel Tower.

'The Cardiff Team' was created in 1913 by Robert Delaunay in Orphism style.

Overlooking the Eiffel Tower and the River Seine, the second room houses the monumental decoration completed by Robert Delaunay for the Salon des Tuileries in 1938, as well as artworks by famous modern artists such as Georges Braque, Fernand Léger and Auguste Herbin.
On the left you can see a painting created in 1938 by Robert Delaunay (Rhythm no.1)

Created for the 1937 Universal Exhibition, The Electricity Fairy, painted by Raoul Dufy, consists of 250 panels (200 x 120 cm) that cover a 600 m2 U-shaped wall. Under the eyes of the Olympian gods, it describes the history of electricity through two main themes, from the earliest observations in Archimedes' time to the most modern technical achievements.

Raoul Dufy - 30 Years or Life Through Rose Colored Glasses – 1931

Frantisek Kupka - Diagonal Planes – 1925

Albert Gleizes - Composition (1930)

Maurice Utrillo - Church of Notre-Dame des Blancs-Manteaux in Paris (1911)

Maurice Utrillo - The House Of Berlioz  (1914)
The "Berlioz House" is in Paris in Montmartre, on the corner of the Rue Saint-Vincent and the Rue du Mont-Cenis. The composer Hector Berlioz (1803-1869) lived here from 1834 to 1837, hence its name. The painter Georges Braque (1882-1963) set up his studio there in 1911. Perhaps Utrillo started this work in 1911 or 1912 and reworked it later. The French flag, on the right, was probably added after war was declared in the summer of 1914 and Utrillo probably signed his work at that point.

The Seine at Poissy - Albert Marquet (1908)

André Derain - Three People sitting on the Grass (1906)

Pablo Picasso - Ham, Wineglass, Bottle of Vieux Marc, Newspaper (1914)

Nature Morte À La Pipe - Georges Braque (1914)

Composition à la guitare – Georges Braque (1918)

Maurice Vlaminck - Barges on the Seine 1910

Natalia Gontcharova - Russian woman (1909)

Francis Picabia – The lovers (1924)

Victor Brauner - The Encounter of 2 bis rue Perrel (1946)

Victor Brauner's multi-media practice is now most closely associated with Surrealism. During his training at the School of Fine Arts in Bucharest, Brauner had in fact developed an expressionist style, which he later abandoned during his involvement with various Dadaist and Surrealist art publications. His practice, which included painting, drawing, and printmaking, drew from disparate symbolic systems like Tarot Cards, Egyptian hieroglyphics, and ancient Mexican texts. Brauner asserted that all of his paintings were autobiographical in some way. He led a turbulent life of constant displacement; anticipating the danger of World War II, Brauner reduced the dimensions of his canvases such that each could fit in his luggage for emergency travel: he called these his "suitcase paintings."

Robert Humblot, The Dead Child (1936)

Karel Appel - Nightbirds (1949)

At the exit of the musem

In the rue Galilée in the 16th arrondissement

On the avenue of the Champs Elysées

In front of the Mcdonald of the Champs Elysées. Humbert knows this place. I was certain these photos would remind him of good memories since he was there, 15 years ago.

Some items in the window of Klam architectes, in the rue Galilée. Look at the price of the Chess set (600 €).

In the rue Galilée. On the left, you can see the embassy of Greece. Apparently, there is a tramp lying on the floor on the other side of the road.

A beautiful Mustang. My car is parked just behind it.

scarface

In the message above you will find a lot of photos about the museum of modern Art of Paris. I hope humbert and the users of the forum will appreciate this conference.
 I will add more comments later in the message and in the previous one.

scarface

Today, I'm going to post a striking series of photos on the homeless living in the basements of La défense, the largest business district in Europe. These photos were taken by Jeff Le Cardiet who won the Mark Grosset photography prize in 2021.

"In La Défense, homeless people survive in a maze of underground passages, under the towers of CAC 40 companies. According to the local public establishment "Paris La Défense", the district covers 564 hectares, has 180 000 employees and hosts more than 500 companies, making the Hauts-De-Seine the richest department in France. In the same place, hundreds of people are hiding in delivery parking lots, abandoned corridors or technical rooms immersed in a permanent wind tunnel noise. The atmosphere is dark and gloomy, the mixed smells of bitumen and urine never disappear. In difficult living conditions, these homeless people survive from day to day, by begging on the slab of La Défense, by collecting unsold goods from supermarkets, and often by drinking to stop time.

View of the La Défense district from the top of the First tower, the tallest skyscraper in France, with its 231 meters, on 5 February 2021.

Emmanuel's shoes are worn by time. He's been living in the delivery parking lot of one of the business towers for ten years.

Employees working in the business district during their lunch break on 27 May 2021.

On January 5, 2021, Emmanuel reads his newspaper, like every day, installed on the ground between vehicles in a parking lot corner

In Puteaux on January 6, 2021, a homeless person sleeps on boxes close to the metro station.

From the 36th floor of the EDF tower in Puteaux, visitors and executives can be observed swarming on the slab of La Défense on 9 February 2021.

According to estimates, roughly 300 homeless people live in the 160 hectares of underground spaces in the district of La défense.

humbert

Let me ask: those homeless people you showed us - as far as you know are these people French or are they mostly foreigners? By "foreigners" I mean non-EU citizens.

There are plenty of homeless and beggars here in America. I see them almost every day. I traveled to Cuba in both 2003 and 2009. I did not see a beggar or a homeless person anywhere. It's probably the only place I've been to that this situation exists. I'm not sure why. Maybe the regime will arrest them.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 29, 2022, 05:42 AMLet me ask: those homeless people you showed us - as far as you know are these people French or are they mostly foreigners? By "foreigners" I mean non-EU citizens.

There are plenty of homeless and beggars here in America. I see them almost every day. I traveled to Cuba in both 2003 and 2009. I did not see a beggar or a homeless person anywhere. It's probably the only place I've been to that this situation exists. I'm not sure why. Maybe the regime will arrest them.
Many of them probably have an international background as well as years of experience indeed. Since there is no statistical data on this topic, it's pretty hard to answer but in the Paris region I would say that a majority are foreigners. Some of them are Roma, notably in tourist areas, in the center of Paris. I know that some homeless are Polish in La défense (those ones are usually drunk). As for the Syrian Gypsies also known as "Doms", they prefer the exits of the Parisian ring-road to beg. I saw some of them at porte de Clichy or porte de Pantin. The Doms are believed to have migrated to the region from India in Byzantine times, through Iran and into Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and beyond. The Dom refugees are also present in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan but they are shunned and despised by the authorities and locals.

scarface

Note that I added some comments in this topic where you can discover the house of Victor Hugo: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg37584#msg37584

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 29, 2022, 03:22 PM[The Doms are believed to have migrated to the region from India in Byzantine times, through Iran and into Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and beyond. The Dom refugees are also present in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan but they are shunned and despised by the authorities and locals.

Does anyone have any clue as to why Gypsies (Roma and Doms) are despised by so many people? I don't know any Gypsies so with respect to them I have no opinion. Jews have always been despised by many people. I do know some Jews. As with everyone else, some are bad and some are good.

With respect to homeless people in France, the government doesn't do anything? Do they just leave them there to pose a danger to themselves and other, or is there any policy regarding the homeless?

scarface

Tonight, I'm posting a few photos taken in the park of Saint-Cloud.

You are probably wondering if what you can see in the foreground is the Amazon jungle. Actually it is the Boulogne woodland. In the background, on the left, it is the area of la Défense.