• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on June 25, 2022, 08:52 PMVegetable Macedoine or Macédoine de légumes  is usually a cold salad served as a side dish or hors d'oeuvre of diced vegetables bound together with mayonnaise. Here the Macédoine de légumes is composed of carrots, turnips, beans and peas.They contains lots of healthy nutrients that are good for your body and bring something different to your meals

I'm assuming those vegetables came out of a can. To cut them to those exact sizes requires a machine, or somebody with a kitchen knife and plenty of time on their hands.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another cheese.

Look carefully at the photo below.
What is this cheese? Shadow.97 and Gulliver probably know its name. Note that this cheese is banned in the US.
I'll give you the answer later.

PS: Note that if you want to buy bull meat ("viande de taureau" in French), a specialty of Camargue, I advise you to go to this website: https://lamaisondutaureau.com/
It's pretty expensive, and I don't know if deliveries abroad are possible, but those products are delicious.
I've already been to this shop in Grau du roi and I tasted the "Noix de taureau séché" which was exceptional.

Guliver

I have to say I don't know the exact name of this cheese, at first I wanted to say Roquefort because it's obviously a blue cheese, but it also has white mold on the rind like a Camembert... after some searching, it might be a Blue Brie, also known as Cambozola? In any case it looks tasty. Nice pairing it with rye bread and some beer :)

And I'm sure "Noix de taureau séché" is exceptional. Is it really what the name suggests?

EDIT: Bleu de Bresse, am I right?

scarface

Quote from: Guliver on July 01, 2022, 11:21 PMI have to say I don't know the exact name of this cheese, at first I wanted to say Roquefort because it's obviously a blue cheese, but it also has white mold on the rind like a Camembert... after some searching, it might be a Blue Brie, also known as Cambozola? In any case it looks tasty. Nice pairing it with rye bread and some beer :)

And I'm sure "Noix de taureau séché" is exceptional. Is it really what the name suggests?

EDIT: Bleu de Bresse, am I right?
your answer is quite impressive, this cheese is indeed Blue cheese.
Like most users of the forum, you have probably noticed the spots or veins throughout the cheese in shades of blue (the edible mold Penicillium). This blue cheese is made of cow milk. It is semi-soft cheese with a sharp, salty flavor. This one is indeed a Bleu de Bresse, "bleu" meaning "blue" in English but if English is tolerated on a bottle of Coca Cola, with the appelations "Lemon Coca" or "Cherry Coca" (reminiscent of the superiority of America), the word "blue" is totally banned on the package of this product, of course.
As for the piece of bread, it could be some rye bread indeed, but it's not the case. Since I bought this yesterday evening just before the closing of the shop, there was no more bread. And a cheese plate without bread seemed inconceivable so I took some hamburger bread or "pain de mie". This kind of bread originated from England and is not very popular in France. It is never served with cheese. It's certainly more common in England, served with bacon.

As for "the noix de taureau", you may have translated the word "noix" as "walnut". If the word "noix" normally describes the fruit of the walnut tree, you can also find it in other expressions, for example "noix de beurre" (knob of butter), or "noix de veau", which means the fillet end of a leg of veal. It's therefore the part of the inner thigh. The meat is pink, short-fibered and very lightly marbled. The piece is covered with a thin layer of fat. It is considered the best piece of the leg.

Note that I deleted parts of the former message about the "bull saucisson" (it's in fact made up of bull and pork meat).

Guliver

Quote from: scarface on July 02, 2022, 07:16 PMAs for "the noix de taureau", you may have translated the word "noix" as "walnut". If the word "noix" normally describes the fruit of the walnut tree, you can also find it in other expressions, for example "noix de beurre" (knob of butter), or "noix de veau", which means the fillet end of a leg of veal. It's therefore the part of the inner thigh.

Oh, so it's the inner thigh! I'll be honest, I translated it as "nut", but then I interpreted "bull's nuts" as, well, testicles. Then again, I'm sure you know bull testicles are eaten as a delicacy in Spain, as well as other countries, so that was why I jumped to the incorrect conclusion.

scarface

Today, I'm going to present another dish.
Look at the photo below.

In the middle of the plate, the yellow stuff is raw cabbage. This fermented food is great for your gut and goes very well with sausages and mustard. You can also see some potatoes.
Traditionnaly this dish pairs well with white wine.
What is the name of this dish? Maybe humbert and Maher know the answer.

As for the beverage, I guess Vasudev and aa1234779 must be looking with both interest and suspicion at the bottle. You may have noticed that it wasn't a bottle of white wine despite the white color of the elixir. So what is it?
Of course, Maher and humbert would probably not serve their guests such a drink with a traditional dish, lest they leave the table.

What's interesting about this bottle is the nutriscore (only a few countries are using it: Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland...). So I took another photo so that you can see it. Apparently this beverage is rated "E" (meaning unhealthy).
Since this nutri-score is not mandatory, some brands like Coca Cola or Pepsi don't show it on their products. But the nutri-score is criticized. As you can see below, olive oil and orange juice have a lower rating than Cola Zero. And regular Coca would be classified E. in the face of criticism expressed by the detractors of the nutri-score rating system, a study showed that if products like cheese or olive oil had bad ratings (they are fat, but in small quantity they are beneficial to health), 79% of ultra-processed food products are classified as C, D and E, while 8% are in A and 13% in B.

Vasudev

Lime soda is usually refreshing and goes well with most food. We do have lot of local players selling them instead of PepsiCo and CocaCola.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on July 13, 2022, 06:22 PMLime soda is usually refreshing and goes well with most food. We do have lot of local players selling them instead of PepsiCo and CocaCola.
That's right, but drinking a Soda with a good dish might mean you're missing out on one of the benefits of eating good stuff. You'd be potentially missing out on trying something more ambitious that you're not familiar with, and that you might like even better.
The dish of the previous message was a sauerkraut ("une choucroute" in French). With a choucroute I'm sure you would enjoy a great wine. Traditionally this dish contains pork meat (the sausages), but if you don't eat pork, you can also use chicken meat or even no meat at all if you're vegan. However, if you want to make you own choucroute, I think that the whine wine is an essential ingredient: it will give the cabbage a particular scent. Without it, I don't think you can get a good choucroute (it will be a mere purée of cabbage).
To get a perfect choucroute, pour 2 cups of dry white wine over the cabbage and salt in the crock.
Cover the crock with cloth or cheesecloth to keep out dust and bugs. Store the choucroute in the crock at 15 to 20 degrees Celsius for two to four weeks. Warmer temperatures speed the fermentation process; cooler temperatures keep fermented foods preserved longer. When it's done, can it or leave it in the crock in a cool place, and use it fresh as desired.

scarface

Today, I'm going to show you another recipe.

Look at the photo below.

What you see is a beef bourguignon (boeuf bourguignon in French).
This Beef Bourguignon is a take on a classic French stew with a deep rich flavor from red wine. Tender beef, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes are simmered in a savory broth.
The main difference between this French Beef Bourguignon dish and a Beef stew is that red wine is used in place of a stock. The wine that should be used is a Burgundy Red, a Pinot Noir or a Gamay.
I thought that this beef bourguignon deserved a good wine, that's why there is a nice claret on the table. I'm sure that humbert, Vasudev, Guliver or Maher would enjoy sharing this dish with me. aa1234779 must be thinking that I'm drinking wine everyday: this is not the case. But with a good dish and when there is a party on the forum, a bottle of wine is required, indeed.

humbert

How long does it take you to prepare this meal? Also, do you always eat with a glass of wine?