• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

This evening, I was at the restaurant "Le Swann" with 2 young ladies. This restaurant is located at 271 Avenue Daumesnil in the 12th arrondissement of Paris.

The restaurant is outstanding. You can order foie gras, lobster salad or salade périgourdine, braised lamb shank... As you can see below, I ordered a Fricassée of veal kidneys in a old-fashioned mustard sauce with fried potatoes. My guests preferred to order oysters. We also chose a bottle of Saumur white wine. The meal was delicious. Service was pleasant. If humbert or shadow.97 are looking for a good restaurant in Paris, I recommend this one.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 12, 2022, 02:55 AMThis evening, I was at the restaurant "Le Swann" with 2 young ladies. This restaurant is located at 271 Avenue Daumesnil in the 12th arrondissement of Paris.

2 Ladies!! That's great. How'd you manage that?  ;)

Quote from: scarface on August 12, 2022, 02:55 AMThe restaurant is outstanding. You can order foie gras, lobster salad or salade périgourdine, braised lamb shank... As you can see below, I ordered a Fricassée of veal kidneys in a old-fashioned mustard sauce with fried potatoes. My guests preferred to order oysters. We also chose a bottle of Saumur white wine. The meal was delicious. Service was pleasant. If humbert or shadow.97 are looking for a good restaurant in Paris, I recommend this one.

In the end, were you the one who said l'édition, s'il vous plait? I assume this is an expensive place. If so it must have cost you a pretty penny, especially with everything you described. About 150€ or more?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 13, 2022, 05:06 AM2 Ladies!! That's great. How'd you manage that?  ;)
They just called me. they are old acquaintances.

Quote from: humbert on August 13, 2022, 05:06 AMIn the end, were you the one who said l'édition, s'il vous plait? I assume this is an expensive place. If so it must have cost you a pretty penny, especially with everything you described. About 150€ or more?
Well, they paid their part. Note that it's not "l'édition" (same meaning in English) but "l'addition", which means addition or bill (in a bar or a restaurant). And for the word invoice, "facture" is employed in French.
It was above 100 € indeed. Menus were actually rather cheap, but drinks and wine were expensive - for the aperitif I ordered a "pastis-tomate" (actually a Ricard with grenadine) for 7€.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 13, 2022, 02:37 PMWell, they paid their part. Note that it's not "l'édition" (same meaning in English) but "l'addition", which means addition or bill (in a bar or a restaurant).

Thanks for the information. I could not find the exact spelling or translation anywhere. I remember it because it's what I used to tell the waiter during my brief stay in Paris. I was unaware of the correct spelling.

Since the ladies are just acquaintances, it's only fair you guys split the bill. Both in the USA and especially in Latin America, guys pay - no ifs, ands, or buts.

I'm not surprised by the value of l'addition. You ate some pretty expensive stuff.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe.

Look carefully at the photo below.

If I was invited to humbert's or Maher's house, I would probably expect a similar dish.
Aa1234779 is probably looking at the glass full of wine. This is a crystal glass that belonged to my grandparents. My grandfather fought during wold wold war 2. He didn't speak much about it. But one day he told me he killed 2 German soldiers. It was him or them. At that time, every man was sent to the battlefront. Everyone was fighting for the victory of one's country. Today, we wouldn't fight any more if we were attacked. You know, I don't think that Russia is going to win the war against Ukraine because most Russians are not ready to fight, it's a lost cause. My grandfather finally died in 2001 of leukemia, aged 77.
Btw, some of us know that aa1234779 comes from the Arabic Peninsula. But we haven't heard from him lately. I've been looking for him. And I think he may have gone south according to my research. Is he in a beautiful country unfortunately plagued with internal conflicts? Let's hope he'll give more news soon.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 02, 2022, 11:34 PMTonight, I'm going to present another recipe.
If I was invited to humbert's or Maher's house, I would probably expect a similar dish.
Aa1234779 is probably looking at the glass full of wine. This is a crystal glass that belonged to my grandparents

I don't think so. I don't know how to cook. I'm like a bear -- I eat anything. I seriously doubt Maher or Aa1234779 would even consider touching a glass of wine. Devout Muslims can't drink anything that contains alcohol.

Quote from: scarface on September 02, 2022, 11:34 PM. My grandfather fought during wold wold war 2. He didn't speak much about it. But one day he told me he killed 2 German soldiers. It was him or them. At that time, every man was sent to the battlefront. Everyone was fighting for the victory of one's country.

Did he fight in the resistance from 1940 to 1944 or after that when the French army was organized? I don't think it was when Hitler attacked in early May 1940. Years ago and old man who was a young German soldier told me the main reason the victory was so quick was because the French didn't fight. When I visited the Palace of Versailles the tour guide was giving us a brief history lesson. When I asked him about this, he confirmed it!

Quote from: scarface on September 02, 2022, 11:34 PMToday, we wouldn't fight any more if we were attacked. You know, I don't think that Russia is going to win the war against Ukraine because most Russians are not ready to fight, it's a lost cause.

It's highly unlikely anyone will attack France any time soon. I also believe that the French people have learned their lesson and it would not be a repeat of May 1940. As for Russia I agree completely. The stories I keep hearing in the press about [for example] Russian soldiers abandoning tanks and walking away just continue to pile up. This makes sense given that the supply lines are inadequate and many takes aren't even equipped with heat for the crew.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on September 05, 2022, 05:51 AMI don't think so. I don't know how to cook. I'm like a bear -- I eat anything.
Maybe. But I still don't know if you would pass the test of the figatelli (Corsican pork sausages).

Quote from: humbert on September 05, 2022, 05:51 AMI seriously doubt Maher or Aa1234779 would even consider touching a glass of wine. Devout Muslims can't drink anything that contains alcohol.
As far as Maher is concerned, it might be true. Apparently he never drinks alcohol and it might be a good decision. But I have a wine cellar somewhere in which I keep a few excellent bottles of wine (Chateau Figeac, Chateau Pavie...), and with a wonderful meal, I'm pretty sure I could catch aa1234779 at a moment of weakness. In fact, I read several times that the Koran states drinking alcohol without getting drunk is not sinful. Alcohol prohibition under Islam has never been as clear-cut as is often portrayed, whereas the idea that all Muslims do not drink paints Muslims as exempt from the diversity of approaches to religious restrictions and regulations found in virtually all societies. Although alcohol is generally considered to be forbidden in Islam, only the most conservative countries actually impose a legal ban on it. Egypt, for instance, has a booming local alcohol industry that has been growing for years. 

Quote from: humbert on September 05, 2022, 05:51 AMDid he fight in the resistance from 1940 to 1944 or after that when the French army was organized? I don't think it was when Hitler attacked in early May 1940. Years ago and old man who was a young German soldier told me the main reason the victory was so quick was because the French didn't fight. When I visited the Palace of Versailles the tour guide was giving us a brief history lesson. When I asked him about this, he confirmed it!
Probably in 1943 or 1944 indeed. I don't know.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 05, 2022, 09:54 PMMaybe. But I still don't know if you would pass the test of the figatelli (Corsican pork sausages).

What is so unusual about Corsican pork sausages that makes you believe I might not want to eat them?

Quote from: scarface on September 05, 2022, 09:54 PMIn fact, I read several times that the Koran states drinking alcohol without getting drunk is not sinful. Alcohol prohibition under Islam has never been as clear-cut as is often portrayed, whereas the idea that all Muslims do not drink paints Muslims as exempt from the diversity of approaches to religious restrictions and regulations found in virtually all societies.

Really? I had no idea. Not that I don't believe you, but let me ask Maher about it. I've asked him tons of questions about Islam and this never came up.

Quote from: scarface on September 05, 2022, 09:54 PMAlthough alcohol is generally considered to be forbidden in Islam, only the most conservative countries actually impose a legal ban on it. Egypt, for instance, has a booming local alcohol industry that has been growing for years.

I know. To my knowledge the only countries that have total alcohol prohibition are Iran and Saudi Arabia. Other Islamic countries aren't as extreme and, of course, they welcome tourists. A quick example: Maher vacationed with his family in Aqaba (Jordan) a few months ago. In the pool there were women with burkinis AND western women with very skimpy bikinis, not to even mention no alcohol prohibition. Losing tourist money is no good for any country. Even Saudi Arabia is starting to open the country to tourists.

Quote from: scarface on September 05, 2022, 09:54 PMProbably in 1943 or 1944 indeed. I don't know.

He was probably in the free French underground. Be proud of him - he was a French patriot who risked his life for his country.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on September 06, 2022, 05:06 AMWhat is so unusual about Corsican pork sausages that makes you believe I might not want to eat them?
Actually, I'm pretty sure you would. The figatelli have a strong flavour. But they are good.

Quote from: humbert on September 06, 2022, 05:06 AMReally? I had no idea. Not that I don't believe you, but let me ask Maher about it. I've asked him tons of questions about Islam and this never came up.
To put it bluntly, I don't imagine Maher speaking about alcohol and pork spontaneously. It's probably not interesting for him, since he doesn't drink alcohol (even if the sale of alcohol is not prohibited in Palestine). As for pork, it's not totally prohibited either in Islam. In fact, if you are starving and if there is nothing else to eat (for example you have a Christian neighbor who has cooked some pork chops but there are no vegetables), then you can eat pork meat. But this is an exception.

Quote from: humbert on September 06, 2022, 05:06 AMI know. To my knowledge the only countries that have total alcohol prohibition are Iran and Saudi Arabia.
In Iran it's allowed for non-Muslims. But you forgot Afghanistan, Somalia and Yemen. And in Pakistan it's also forbidden for Muslims I think.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 06, 2022, 08:34 PMIn Iran it's allowed for non-Muslims. But you forgot Afghanistan, Somalia and Yemen. And in Pakistan it's also forbidden for Muslims I think.

It's not so much that I forgot. It's that the 3 countries you mentioned are very unstable and, to some degree, don't even have a legitimate government.

With respect to Iran I think you refer to foreign visitors who aren't Muslims. If you are Iranian you can't exactly decide you no longer want to be a Muslim and start drinking. People accused of drinking who were given 60 lashes will confirm this. Even if you were a foreign visitor and wanted a beer, where exactly do you find one?