• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 19, 2022, 09:12 PMI'm living in an apartment in Sceaux that I rent. I was also the owner of a studio in Grau du roi. Since I could telework I could spend a lot of time in Grau du roi and take a  lot of photos. If I remember well, some users really enjoyed those photos (you and shadow.97 were particularly impressed by the Corsican sausages known as figatelli). 

I'm seeing on Google Maps that Grau du Roi is a resort on the Mediterranean. I probably checked it before and don't remember. In any case, that studio must have cost you quite a bit due to its location. I assume you're still paying a mortgage for it.

Just curious: is it true that women bathe topless in the Med and in public pools? Or is this hyperbole?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 20, 2022, 04:26 AMI'm seeing on Google Maps that Grau du Roi is a resort on the Mediterranean. I probably checked it before and don't remember. In any case, that studio must have cost you quite a bit due to its location. I assume you're still paying a mortgage for it.
You're very inquisitive. You may find the answers you're looking for in this topic. If you don't and if you want to know, I'll tell you via private message. Note that I also have a house in the Drôme department...which needs a little work.

Quote from: humbert on July 20, 2022, 04:26 AMJust curious: is it true that women bathe topless in the Med and in public pools? Or is this hyperbole?
In the Mediterranean maybe. In public pools never.

scarface

Tonight, new photos are available on the forum. They were taken today in the 11th arrondissement of Paris.

On the Boulevard Richard Lenoir.
You can see some players of pétanque under plane trees.

On the Boulevard Voltaire.
On the right, you can see the Bataclan.
Note that 2 apartments have been for sale above the bataclan for several months. This building is fashioned like a Chinese pagoda.
Unfortunately, there is a large number of homeless in the streets of Paris and you can see a tent in the foreground.

A bakery, at the corner of Bvd Voltaire and rue JP Timbaud

A little further, a manga shop. Maybe Vasudev, humbert or Guliver know the characters of Dragon Ball in the front windows of the store

Here you can see the Place de la République.
There is a demonstration to defend Rojava threatened with a new invasion by Turkey with colonialist aims.

scarface

Here are miscellaneous photos taken in Paris and elsewhere. Maybe humbert, Vasudev or shadow.97 will look at them.

Here you have a view of the Pantheon. You can also see some towers in the 13th arrondissement of Paris in the background.

You may have recognized the rooftop of the Garnier palace (opéra Garnier) in the foreground. You can also see the duo towers in the background as well as Notre Dame cathedral on the right.

Franklin D. Roosevelt metro station in the 8th arrondissement.

La Seine Musicale on Ile Seguin, in Boulogne Billancourt.

The big mosque Emir Abdelkader, in Nanterre

A few photos taken in La Défense.

A view from Les Sablons metro station

The Avenue Charles de Gaulle in Neuilly sur Seine and the arch of Triumph

La défense, seen from the bridge of Saint-Cloud

The Franklin tower

The Boulogne woods and the Eiffel tower.

The Hekla tower as seen from the forecourt of La Défense

Here are a few photos taken from the mound of Orgement (Butte d'Orgemont), in the north of Paris

Paris and La Défense
In the foreground, the neighborhood composed of houses is in Argenteuil.
A little further, you can see the harbour of Gennevilliers. Basically, the buildings you see behind the bodywater are located in Gennevilliers and those on the right are in Colombes. In fact, even if you can see the Eiffel tower on the left, you can essentially see the Hauts de Seine on this photo and not Paris. The Hyatt regency hostel, the tower with a big antenna on the right of the Eiffel tower, is another landmark: since it's located at the porte Maillot, it marks the border between Paris and the Hauts de Seine.

A view of La défense.

The Société Générale towers.

the Butte d'orgement is also overlooking the Seine St Denis department towards the east. In the foreground you can see the Pleyel tower, in Saint Denis. In the background, you can see the TV tower of Romainville.

Here you can see the 19th arrondissement. You can see a set of towers called the "Orgues de Flandre" (also known as the Cité des Flamands), built by the architect Martin van Treeck and inaugurated between 1970 and 1980. The Prelude Tower is the tallest residential building of Paris.
In the background, you can see the twin towers of les Mercuriales, in Bagnolet.

scarface

Today, I took a few photos in Paris and I'm going to post them tonight on the forum. I know that humbert, Maher and aa1234779 look at them with interest.

Note that I also visited the museum of modern art a second time and a took a few more photos. I will update this conference soon: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg37610#msg37610

scarface

Tonight, new photos are available on the forum.
I hope that Maher, aa1234779, usmangujjar, shadow.97 and Guliver are going to look at them with interest. As for humbert, chances are he already knows some of these places.

The Trocadero gardens, in the 16th arrondissement. In the previous messages, you have already discovered the Trocadero esplanade overlooking the beautiful Trocadéro gardens, with its two neoclassical style pavilions, which offers views on the Eiffel Tower and the Champs de Mars.

The Eiffel tower and the Montparnasse tower as seen from the avenue Albert de Mun.

Villa Montmorency in the 16th arrondissement. This is a private neighborhood, with its entrance monitored 24 hours a day by a team of security guards, where houses can be bought for millions of euros.

Rue Jean de la Fontaine

In the East of Paris, this is a totally different landscape.
Here, this is a photo taken in the square May Picqueray, near the Bataclan.
In the foreground, you can see a commemorative plaque for the victims of the Bataclan. In the background, it seems some tramps are lying on benches.

Apparently, one of them wasn't asleep and didn't want to appear on the photo. I spoke with him afterwards (He was speaking perfectly French) to reassure him and tell him I wanted to take a photo of the Bataclan, which wasn't actually true. He asked me for a cigarette but unfortunately, I don't smoke. In my opinion, some of them (if not all) are not French. Maybe some of them come from Senegal, where French is spoken, with local specificities in terms of pronunciation and vocabulary. Actually, the 11th arrondissement of Paris is more popular and densely populated than the western neighborhoods and this place is not always well-frequented, but it's worse in the north of the 11th arrondissement. When humbert came to Paris he has probably not ventured that far and I guess he's discovering those places.
you won't see these places in the TV series Emily in Paris either, but only a few areas spanning from the 5th to the 8th arrondissement. I remember that I was watching the TV series "Beverly Hills 90210" When I was young, maybe humbert, Vasudev or Guliver heard of it, but it's sad to see there are also places like Kensington avenue, Philadelphia in the USA, where homeless people, including those with mental problems and hopeless addicts gather together for mutual support. Of course TV series don't show them.

For those who are old enough to remember...the opening credits of Beverly Hills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDOrOMuo-9o

A little further, rue Oberkampf

In the Bvd de Belleville, in the north of the 11th arrondissement

An impressive fresco, rue des maronites, in the 20th arrondissement.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 23, 2022, 11:06 PMyou won't see these places in the TV series Emily in Paris either, but only a few areas spanning from the 5th to the 8th arrondissement. I remember that I was watching the TV series "Beverly Hills 90210" When I was young, maybe humbert,
They showed Beverly Hills 90210 in France? That's crazy. Why would anyone in France be interested in the lives of some American adolescents?

Was it shown with French subtitles or dubbed in voices?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 25, 2022, 04:29 AMThey showed Beverly Hills 90210 in France? That's crazy. Why would anyone in France be interested in the lives of some American adolescents?

Was it shown with French subtitles or dubbed in voices?
The American TV series were hugely popular in France in the late 80's and in the 90's. Dallas, alerte à Malibu (Baywatch), Starsky et Hutch, Walker Texas Ranger, Hooker, Mc Gyver, Melrose Place, Beverly Hills, Les dessous de palm beach (Silk Stalkings), Les Feux de l'amour (The Young and the Restless), Amour, Gloire et Beauté (The Bold and the Beautiful) were broadcast every afternoon on TF1.
The French opening of Starsky et Hutch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUq3YPEkdz8

As you can see the American series were broadcast on French TV on a massive scale and it seems no soldiers were missing from their ranks. It's probably the case in other countries too, the USA was exporting these TV series worldwide. Some users of the forum may remember the adventures of Bobby and JR in Dallas.
Actually, I didn't watch all of them, "only" Beverly Hills, Walker Texas Ranger, Mc Gyver, Les dessous de Palm Beach and Melrose Place...By 1994, I watched the Xfiles on M6 every Saturday night. It was the best moment of the week. I really like this series, even if both in structure and in quality, The X-Files series remains uneven. Then came Buffy, charmed and urgence (Emergency room).
Of course, all of these series were dubbed in French, they were meant for a large audience. If the scholars of the forum who speak several languages can easily watch a Arte documentary in German with English subtitles, the cleaning ladies wouldn't have watch these series in English. The dubs and French songs left a lot to be desired, but these series undeniably contributed to shape France's appetite for the American way of life. Note that today, the American series are less successful. For example the series Scandal, Newport Beach and Empire have flopped in France.

scarface

Note that more photos and comments are available here, for those who don't know the museum of modern art of Paris: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg37610#msg37610

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you something.
Look carefully at the photo below: you can see 2 lego technic sets. Those who were born in the early 80's may have had similar toys.
I thought they were definitively lost for years, but I found them in the house of my mother. I stumbled upon another set, a pirate ship. I'm going to try to rebuild it to show you a photo. Today's lego technic products seem to be more advanced.