• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

anamorphosis maps

Started by scarface, March 31, 2013, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Maybe some of you have looked at the maps of this topic. It's always interesting to see and analyse some population maps.
Tonight I'm going to show you another map. And I'm going to talk about Seine-et-Marne. You have probably never heard of it. Is it a town of Texas? Is it a region of India?
Actually, Seine-et-Marne is a department in the Île-de-France region. Named after the rivers Seine and Marne, it is the region's largest department with an area of 5,915 square kilometres. It roughly covers its eastern half. Seine-et-Marne hosts a Disney theme park, known as Disneyland Paris, in Chessy.
Since it is in the Paris region, you probably think that it is very populated. While the west of the department is densely populated, as it's part of the Paris conurbation, it's not the case for the rest of the department: it is the least populated of the departments in Ile de France despite covering almost half the region's surface area. It boasts extensive agricultural land and a rich natural and built heritage, including the Fontainebleau forest.
If you are looking at the map below, you can see the Seine-et-Marne department East of the black line. Roughly 85% percent of the population of the Ile de France region is concentrated in the red rectangle.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you more maps.
If you like geography and if you have some maps to show, don't hesitate to post them on the forum.

Here is a map showing the density population of Indonesia.
Indonesia is a country located off the coast of mainland Southeast Asia in the Indian and Pacific oceans. It is an archipelago that lies across the Equator.

As you can see on this maps, the island of Java is the most densely populated island of the Archipelago.
Its islands can be grouped into the Greater Sunda Islands of Sumatra (Sumatera), Java (Jawa), the southern extent of Borneo (Kalimantan), and Celebes (Sulawesi); the Lesser Sunda Islands (Nusa Tenggara) of Bali and a chain of islands that runs eastward through Timor; the Moluccas (Maluku) between Celebes and the island of New Guinea; and the western extent of New Guinea (generally known as Papua). The capital, Jakarta, is located near the northwestern coast of Java.
The name Indonesia probably reminds you of India, and you might think that this region belongs to India. Actually it's not the case, but the name Indonesia is thought to derive from India indeed, with the Greek indos, meaning "India," and nesos, meaning "island.

Here you can see 2 maps: on the left, the standard map of Australia, and on the right, an anamorphic map of Australia, where territories are resized according to their population.

As you can see on this map, Western Australia and the Northern territory are less populated than the south-East of the country.
Maher must be wondering if the West Bank is more densely populated than Australia's Northern territory. And it's indeed the case. While the Northern territory is 242 times bigger than the West Bank, it is 13 times less populated. The reason is pretty simple: this territory is very arid. However, it is home to the infamous perentie lizard, that you have discovered in the best clips.

Below you can find a density map of Pakistan. You certainly heard of this country lately since it hit the headlines due to torrential monsoon rains that triggered the most severe flooding in Pakistan in recent history. Sindh has been the province worst affected by the floods while PunJab and the north of the country received little damage.

On this map you can see that Punjab is very densely populated thanks to its fertile arable land. Karachi and Lahore are the largest towns. In the west of the country, Balochistan is the largest region, but it's the least densely populated. It covers 40% of the country's land area, but accounts for less than 10% of its population. In a country as populated as Pakistan, Balochistan has a population on par with that of the Paris region, despite being 30 times bigger.

scarface

Tonight, I'm posting a few new maps on the forum.

And I'm going to explain the concept of macrocephaly.
In medicine, macrocephaly is a condition in which the head is abnormally large therefore I guess Humbert and shadow.97 may be wondering why I'm talking about a disease. Actually, this term has another meaning. In geography, it refers to the excessive concentration of population and development in a single centre, to the detriment of other areas.

In those countries, it seems the biggest urban area is much bigger than the second one. We can speak of macrocephaly.

In Italy, you can see that the size of the urban areas of Milan, Rome and Naples is pretty similar, the concept of macrocephaly can't be applied here.

In Australia, it seems there is pretty much nothing besides 5 big urban areas.