• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on October 31, 2022, 07:11 PMIf you refer this guide here https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall you will see 3 options:
  • Download latest version
  • Download specific version
  • Use extracted directory of existing driver exe if you have downloaded previously

Thanks for the tip. I was seeing the different options on the web site. What NVidia card do you have and what options do you select?

Also, do you necessarily have to go to NVidia's web site and download the driver package file, or does NVCleaninstall do that for you?

Will it remove (or at least disable) garbage from previous installations?

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on October 31, 2022, 07:11 PMnvcleanstall will download extracted drivers and downloads to temp folder and download size is around 400MB instead of 800-900MB drivers
To Vasudev:
I tested Nvcleaninstall and I get a 700mb repack and not a 400mb repack (it's practically the same repack). I don't only include core drivers but also Physx and Nvcontainer. Selecting only the core drivers, I get a 664mb repack (once compressed), I would be curious to see your 400Mb repack. At least you can't get this with Nvcleaninstall.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 01, 2022, 02:50 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on October 31, 2022, 07:11 PMIf you refer this guide here https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall you will see 3 options:
  • Download latest version
  • Download specific version
  • Use extracted directory of existing driver exe if you have downloaded previously

Thanks for the tip. I was seeing the different options on the web site. What NVidia card do you have and what options do you select?

Also, do you necessarily have to go to NVidia's web site and download the driver package file, or does NVCleaninstall do that for you?

Will it remove (or at least disable) garbage from previous installations?
Quote from: scarface on November 01, 2022, 05:52 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on October 31, 2022, 07:11 PMnvcleanstall will download extracted drivers and downloads to temp folder and download size is around 400MB instead of 800-900MB drivers
To Vasudev:
I tested Nvcleaninstall and I get a 700mb repack and not a 400mb repack (it's practically the same repack). I don't only include core drivers but also Physx and Nvcontainer. Selecting only the core drivers, I get a 664mb repack (once compressed), I would be curious to see your 400Mb repack. At least you can't get this with Nvcleaninstall.
I have maxwell 980M card so for me only core driver + HD audio is necessary and rest are unneeded. I don't use PhysX since most games fallback to CPU PhysX and GPU isn't used anymore. Anyway I'm using 496.xx DCH driver since newer driver caused more battery drain and blackscreen post install.
@humbert: I think for current install you need to use DDU to wipe existing driver and use NvCleanStall repackaged drivers to see the changes.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 01, 2022, 06:26 PMI have maxwell 980M card so for me only core driver + HD audio is necessary and rest are unneeded. I don't use PhysX since most games fallback to CPU PhysX and GPU isn't used anymore. Anyway I'm using 496.xx DCH driver since newer driver caused more battery drain and blackscreen post install.
@humbert: I think for current install you need to use DDU to wipe existing driver and use NvCleanStall repackaged drivers to see the changes.

Thanks for the information. I have 3 questions:

1) If you install PhysX driver, the game will fall back to the CPU regardless? Or will this force the game to use the GPU? Also, for sound I use Logitech speakers connected the the board's sound card. To need to install HDMI audio, right?

2) I looked up DDU. It's a driver uninstaller program. It says you must disconnect from the internet or block Windows updates until you've reinstalled the new drivers. How did you do it? Did you download the driver file first and reinstall offline?

3) Did you use DDU normal mode or safe mode?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 02, 2022, 04:21 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 01, 2022, 06:26 PMI have maxwell 980M card so for me only core driver + HD audio is necessary and rest are unneeded. I don't use PhysX since most games fallback to CPU PhysX and GPU isn't used anymore. Anyway I'm using 496.xx DCH driver since newer driver caused more battery drain and blackscreen post install.

Thanks for the information. I have 3 questions:

1) If you install PhysX driver, the game will fall back to the CPU regardless? Or will this force the game to use the GPU? Also, for sound I use Logitech speakers connected the the board's sound card. To need to install HDMI audio, right?

2) I looked up DDU. It's a driver uninstaller program. It says you must disconnect from the internet or block Windows updates until you've reinstalled the new drivers. How did you do it? Did you download the driver file first and reinstall offline?

3) Did you use DDU normal mode or safe mode?

Answer 1) HD audio is helpful when using monitor or TV and doesn't affect audio when you're using internal audio out port which is connected to speaker.

Answer 2) Yeah I use safe mode since Win 10 will download new driver in background in normal mode or non-safe mode

Answer 3) You will see better results in safe mode and ensure complete cleanup of directories or reg entries which will be in-use by explorer or other processes leaving remnants/leftovers. You can tweak the option to start in safe mode and disable driver downloads through Windows update.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 02, 2022, 06:15 PMAnswer 1) HD audio is helpful when using monitor or TV and doesn't affect audio when you're using internal audio out port which is connected to speaker.

Answer 2) Yeah I use safe mode since Win 10 will download new driver in background in normal mode or non-safe mode

Answer 3) You will see better results in safe mode and ensure complete cleanup of directories or reg entries which will be in-use by explorer or other processes leaving remnants/leftovers. You can tweak the option to start in safe mode and disable driver downloads through Windows update.

So basically the thing to do after making a full backup is: (1) Run DDU in safe mode; and (2) Run NVCleaninstall after DDU finishes, right?

Did you download the driver manually or did you let NVClean do that job?

If you select PhyX will the game automatically ignore that driver and use the CPU? In that case the thing to do is install PhyX for older games that don't support this feature. Right??

Is all this more or less correct so I can proceed? I've never used this before and I'd like to do it right.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 03, 2022, 04:41 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 02, 2022, 06:15 PMAnswer 1) HD audio is helpful when using monitor or TV and doesn't affect audio when you're using internal audio out port which is connected to speaker.

So basically the thing to do after making a full backup is: (1) Run DDU in safe mode; and (2) Run NVCleaninstall after DDU finishes, right?

Did you download the driver manually or did you let NVClean do that job?

If you select PhyX will the game automatically ignore that driver and use the CPU? In that case the thing to do is install PhyX for older games that don't support this feature. Right??

Is all this more or less correct so I can proceed? I've never used this before and I'd like to do it right.

Frankly, I didn't take any backup for driver uninstalls since I keep 2 sets of driver i.e current working debloated package and newer driver if newer one has issue, I will run DDU again and run previous driver version.
Used to manually download them but you can try easier download via Nvcleanstall.
Actually I always had Physx set to GPU and max settings in Batman games but recent driver 44x.xx started seeing choppy FPS drops with Physx and CPU usage was pegged at 100% for no reason, I tried ancient drivers from MSFT update and it doesn't ship with PhysX and had used newer control panel and driver fixes which didn't have FPS drop or choppiness. So, I decided to uninstall PhysX and perf is similar to MSFT nvidia driver. Also, I enabled low latency mode which reduced micro-stutters on DCH driver I had been facing for past year or so.

scarface

Note that new versions of windows 7, 10 and 11 will be available on the forum next week.
A final and slimmed down version of windows 7 will be released in January 2023 after support is officially ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jGcU1VPcg

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on November 04, 2022, 09:12 PMNote that new versions of windows 7, 10 and 11 will be available on the forum next week.
A final and slimmed down version of windows 7 will be released in January 2023 after support is officially ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jGcU1VPcg

That would be great a final Win 7 ISO which will be remembered for years to come. I will cancel current downloads of W7/11 ISOs and will wait for new releases.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on November 05, 2022, 06:24 PMThat would be great a final Win 7 ISO which will be remembered for years to come. I will cancel current downloads of W7/11 ISOs and will wait for new releases.
That's probably the right thing to do. I don't know if I will release a new version of windows 7 this month actually because I have a data usage limit. Ever since I left the Hauts-de-Seine, I didn't buy a new internet subscription - but I have 150 GB/ month with my smartphone, that I use as a modem, which is barely enough (when I upload 3 windows isos on Mega, it takes at least 10 GB of data).
Note that I have work to do tomorrow and at the beginning of next week so I'm counting on humbert, shadow.97, Gulliver and you to animate the forum.