• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

"We will bury you!!!" Elbrus4 - new russian CPU for desktops.

Started by Daniil, April 30, 2014, 04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 17, 2015, 04:41 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 16, 2015, 12:13 PM
Just now, I saw its specs and pricing is competitive. 250GFLOPS on CPU is incredible and I'd pay anything for getting that and also TDP <100W which is more future proof system but its sole purpose is for very intense file server or a compute server.  i'd go with fury x since it has more compute power.

I don't understand something. This thing has a clock speed of 800Mhz. My Core i7-4790 does 4 Ghz. I realize clock speed alone isn't everything, but at the same time I have a hard time believing this thing goes more than 4 times per cycle more than the i7-4790.

I should also mention it uses DDR3 memory. The DDR4 specification is already out, only for high end machines.

I have 24 Gb of memory on my system. This is because I like using large ramdisks where I can put all my temporary files. It's also the place for cookies, history and other gargage. The beauty of it is when I turn the PC off it all disappears. Another benefit is I run my system with no swap file at all.
I guess 800MHz is more than enough for a server, since it utilizes terminal windows rather than GUI. Moreover, Linux requires less resources than Windows. I think Daniil can provide more insight to your problem.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 17, 2015, 05:38 PM
I guess 800MHz is more than enough for a server, since it utilizes terminal windows rather than GUI. Moreover, Linux requires less resources than Windows. I think Daniil can provide more insight to your problem.

I was under the impression servers required a great amount of power. Then again I suppose that depends on the server's workload.

My question concerned 250Gflops on an 800 Mhz processor. My Core 17-4790K does 43.15 Glops and has a clock speed of 4.0 gHz. Either this doesn't make sense or this processor does plenty of calculations per clock cycle. In fact, if you're looking for 800 mHz then get a Raspberry Pi.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 19, 2015, 05:34 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 17, 2015, 05:38 PM

I was under the impression servers required a great amount of power. Then again I suppose that depends on the server's workload.

In fact, if you're looking for 800 mHz then get a Raspberry Pi.
If I was proficient in designing and making my own electronics such that devices will pop out from thin air and comes in hand and would like that very much.

scarface

I'm digging this old topic of Daniil to say I bought a new computer. My old one is showing signs of weakness. Actually, I hesitated between the Intel i7 10870h and the AMD Ryzen 7 5800H and I chose the first one even if the computer with the AMD was slightly cheaper. According to benchmarks, with Intel I will basically get close match to the AMD option. This computer is also equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060.
The benchmark: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10870H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800H/m1322918vsm1442974

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 02, 2022, 08:19 PMI'm digging this old topic of Daniil to say I bought a new computer. My old one is showing signs of weakness. Actually, I hesitated between the Intel i7 10870h and the AMD Ryzen 7 5800H and I chose the first one even if the computer with the AMD was slightly cheaper. According to benchmarks, with Intel I will basically get close match to the AMD option. This computer is also equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060.

And I need to upgrade my 10 year old GTX-970 video card. I've got my eye on either the RTX-3060 or RTX-3050. As you can all imagine I waited so long because until recently finding a newer video card at a reasonable price was next to impossible.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 03, 2022, 04:31 AMAnd I need to upgrade my 10 year old GTX-970 video card. I've got my eye on either the RTX-3060 or RTX-3050. As you can all imagine I waited so long because until recently finding a newer video card at a reasonable price was next to impossible.
Well, over the last few years the price of hardware may have gone up 10 to 15%. Actually I don't know if I paid a reasonable price for this (1300€), but at least I'll have a good computer. Your card is still good if you don't play recent games. I wanted a powerful CPU, but to put it bluntly, I don't think I need a high-end graphics card since I only play games occasionally.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 03, 2022, 05:14 AMWell, over the last few years the price of hardware may have gone up 10 to 15%. Actually I don't know if I paid a reasonable price for this (1300€), but at least I'll have a good computer. Your card is still good if you don't play recent games. I wanted a powerful CPU, but to put it bluntly, I don't think I need a high-end graphics card since I only play games occasionally.

The RTX3050 and RTX3060 are mid-range cards. Hi end cards are are at least $600. For me an upgrade to a mid-range card is more than fine. I ordered the RXT3060 @ $369 - the package comes with 2 games - Warhammer and Darkside Imperial Edition.

Daniil

Quote from: scarface on November 02, 2022, 08:19 PMI'm digging this old topic of Daniil to say I bought a new computer. My old one is showing signs of weakness. Actually, I hesitated between the Intel i7 10870h and the AMD Ryzen 7 5800H and I chose the first one even if the computer with the AMD was slightly cheaper. According to benchmarks, with Intel I will basically get close match to the AMD option. This computer is also equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060.
The benchmark: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10870H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800H/m1322918vsm1442974
Good choice! I'm also in thoughts about upgrade of my computer, but in my case I yet need high-end video card - it's required for development of VR apps.

scarface

Quote from: Daniil on November 11, 2022, 11:32 AMGood choice! I'm also in thoughts about upgrade of my computer, but in my case I yet need high-end video card - it's required for development of VR apps.
I finally received my new laptop. I will test it with cinebench R20 and cpu-z and post the results here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14008.0
There will likely be no huge differences between a i5 9300h and a i7 10870h (except for the multi-threads tests).

Shadow.97

I've been using a dual core intel 5005u with 8gb of ram since september, as i left my pc in sweden.
Moving back in december.

When you know how to work around the slowness, it's not all too bad. Just not a fun gaming experience.
Been playing games on the amazing resolution 1024x576. Even if more pixels are better. I often take fewer pixels and higher FPS.

@humbert
What surprised me going between 960 and 2080ti was that in a lot of games the gpu does not matter too much.
Examples would be, rimworld, league of legends, valorant, and factorio.
Once you get a certain fps. It wont matter. Especially in top-down games.

I honestly loved the 960. It was quiet, small and didnt turn my room into a sauna.
Even more so, the little brother 950.
My cousin had a 950 that performed better than the 960 i used when both were overclocked.
For how little it cost when it came out, it was a great choice.

On the topic of Laptop. I'm looking to get a new one. My ideal budget is around 700 for a semi-business laptop. 16gb of ram, 500gb ssd and 6c12t or more. Makes it a squeeze. Especially if you want one with an OK touchpad, screen and keyboard. Wouldnt mind going used. But most of them are years old. And the batteries are usually not so fun after a few years.