• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you something.
Look at the photo below.

You can see a sausage. But not just any sausage. If you pay attention, you can see a moor's head. This is the emblem of Corsica. Maybe you have guessed that this is a Corsican sausage: it is a figatellu. I wanted to send it to humbert as a present, but it seems saucisson and sausage are banned from export to the United States. Even in France it's not that easy to find a figatellu, so I guess humbert won't find this in the United States. I'll try to find something else for Christmas.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 31, 2022, 08:28 PMYou can see a sausage. But not just any sausage. If you pay attention, you can see a moor's head. This is the emblem of Corsica. Maybe you have guessed that this is a Corsican sausage: it is a figatellu. I wanted to send it to humbert as a present, but it seems saucisson and sausage are banned from export to the United States. Even in France it's not that easy to find a figatellu, so I guess humbert won't find this in the United States. I'll try to find something else for Christmas.

Any idea why it's banned from import in the USA? When I traveled I used to bring in all kinds of foods and never had a problem. Naturally it has to be clean and packed like in the picture.

Moor's head? The only moors I know of are what the Spanish called the Muslims during the Reconquista which culminated in 1492. AFAIK these people weren't black (i.e., from sub-Saharan Africa), nor did they wear those headbands - at least not in battle.

scarface

Today, I'm going to present another dish on the forum.

Look carefully at the photos below.

What you see here is a pork knuckle with carrots and peas.
For humbert, Vasudev or shadow.97, who are looking for healthy stuff, I think this is the perfect dish.
A knuckle of pork always turns out to be a tender piece of meat nestled under crispy skin. The pork knuckle should be allowed to shine, and there's no need to over complicate it with a bunch of ingredients. Salt and pepper is all that's needed to bring out the unctuousness of the knuckle. You have to roast it for around 2 hours at 180°C in an oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jGcU1VPcg

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on November 20, 2022, 03:29 PMToday, I'm going to present another dish on the forum.

What you see here is a pork knuckle with carrots and peas.
For humbert, Vasudev or shadow.97, who are looking for healthy stuff, I think this is the perfect dish.
A knuckle of pork always turns out to be a tender piece of meat nestled under crispy skin. The pork knuckle should be allowed to shine, and there's no need to over complicate it with a bunch of ingredients. Salt and pepper is all that's needed to bring out the unctuousness of the knuckle. You have to roast it for around 2 hours at 180°C in an oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jGcU1VPcg

Your peas and carrots look like they were preserved, I personally strongly prefer frozen veggies. (Except for carrots).
Not a huge fan of carrots due to how sweet they are. If I have them, I usually shredd them.
But yes, this looks like something I'd love to try.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another dish. In winter, it's always good to eat hot stuff. That's why I chose to prepare a cabbage sausage with hot potatoes.

In the first photo, you can see A crude cabbage sausage (saucisse aux choux). It sounds better in French, and it might remind you of the movie "La soupe aux choux". Actually this is a pork sausage, and I'm going to cook it for 25 minutes in boiling water.
With this dish, we don't forget the piece of bread. What's more, you have probably noticed the glass of wine too. Is it a glass of Chateau Petrus? Look carefully at the color of this beverage: It looks incredibly clear for a red wine, it must be a cheap plonk. Actually, what you see is just a glass of grenadine lemonade.

Maybe some of you have never seen so gross a sausage, but it turned out to be very good. I don't know if humbert of Vasudev would prepare this for their guests. If I remember well, during Summer 2021, I showed a figatellu on the forum. Some users of the forum were impressed. Shadow.97 said it looked like a "dong", since then humbert and I are still looking for the meaning of this word (actually I found it in my dictionary). Knowing that I'm almost bilingual and that humbert could easily get the Nobel prize in English literature, we can assume that the vocabulary used by shadow.97 is not very orthodox, at least it's not inspired by the novels of Oscar Wilde or Lewis Carroll.

scarface

I wanted to say that we all appreciate when a user says what he thinks, no matter the language used.
If you are using bad language  and if it is funny it's ok. But if you are speaking gibbering, and if it's almost hard to decipher your messages, at the beginning it's funny, but in the end if shows that you're not making any effort to post interesting stuff.
I used to be a bit tough with usman and Daniil because they had a problem with the English grammar, but lately I noticed that Daniil's English proficiency somewhat improved. It must be
Anyway, I'd be curious to know what the users of the forum think about this dish. What's more, you have probably noticed that the sausage is called "saucisse aux choux" and I imagine that some of you may find this appellation misleading since it doesn't say it contains pork meat (but the package does). I imagine you can't find such a sausage in Palestine or in Egypt. I'm pretty sure humbert can find some spicy sausages in the US, but I'm not so sure about the "cabbage sausage". In fact, in terms of content, this product is similar to the caillette, a culinary specialty of the Dauphiné region. In Île-de-France it wasn't common to find such products.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 05, 2022, 03:07 AMI wanted to say that we all appreciate when a user says what he thinks, no matter the language used.
If you are using bad language  and if it is funny it's ok. But if you are speaking gibbering, and if it's almost hard to decipher your messages, at the beginning it's funny, but in the end if shows that you're not making any effort to post interesting stuff.
I used to be a bit tough with usman and Daniil because they had a problem with the English grammar, but lately I noticed that Daniil's English proficiency somewhat improved. It must be

What exactly are you talking about? Was it a topic from a bot you deleted or what? All our forum members are proficient in English.

With respect to Usman and Daniil, all I can say is that I wish my Arabic and Russian respectively were as good as their English.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on December 05, 2022, 04:49 AMWhat exactly are you talking about? Was it a topic from a bot you deleted or what?
No it's not a mistake...
I knew this standpoint was likely to give rise to controversy or public disagreement...
Maybe you had better remove the last 3 messages then.

Quote from: humbert on December 05, 2022, 04:49 AMAll our forum members are proficient in English.
It's obvious.

Quote from: humbert on December 05, 2022, 04:49 AMWith respect to Usman and Daniil, all I can say is that I wish my Arabic and Russian respectively were as good as their English.
I don't speak them either. Probably a methodological problem because I'm reading from left to right.
As for Usman, and old companion on the forum, note that Arabic is not spoken in Pakistan.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 05, 2022, 01:19 PMI knew this standpoint was likely to give rise to controversy or public disagreement...
Maybe you had better remove the last 3 messages then.

You lost me. I never saw any messages from anyone with bad English proficiency. Do you have either a link or the name of the writer so I can see for myself?

Quote from: scarface on December 05, 2022, 01:19 PMI don't speak them either. Probably a methodological problem because I'm reading from left to right.
As for Usman, and old companion on the forum, note that Arabic is not spoken in Pakistan.

With respect to Usman, I stand corrected. Somehow I got him confused with aa1234779. My point is simply that it while their proficiency is English might not be perfect, I would be more than happy to be able to write Urdu and Russian at the same level they write English. They have no problem making themselves understood. For me that's more than satisfactory.

scarface

Well I was certainly wrong then.
The difference between you and me is a matter of approach. I have a binary thinking while you have a more balanced view.
That's why our positions are often irreconciliable.

Now let's imagine Maher is in business trip in the posh city of Islamabad. He's meeting Usman and they are drinking a glass of Pastis in a French bar. They are browsing the forum. Usman is noticing this discussion and tells Maher: they are quarrelling like 2 chickens once again!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=2vWy6IiAjfM
Let's stop this debate, I think it's becoming useless.