• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 06, 2022, 03:14 PMThat's why our positions are often irreconciliable.

That's too strong a word. We may disagree on an issue or two, but our basic beliefs concur more than they differ.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another dish on the forum.

Look at the photos below.

What you can see is a tender roast of pork (rôti de porc in French). Since I'm on vacation, I have time to cook.
As you can see, it is beautifully decorated with parsley and fried figs. Humbert and aa1234779 may be thinking that it doesn't really matter, after all a philosopher once said "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig" and even with parsley, this "rôti" won't taste like foie gras indeed. You can also see some potatoes, I guess they go very well with a "rôti".

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 15, 2022, 01:42 AMWhat you can see is a tender roast of pork (rôti de porc in French). Since I'm on vacation, I have time to cook.
As you can see, it is beautifully decorated with parsley and fried figs. Humbert and aa1234779 may be thinking that it doesn't really matter, after all a philosopher once said "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig" and even with parsley, this "rôti" won't taste like foie gras indeed. You can also see some potatoes, I guess they go very well with a "rôti".

I don't know anything about cooking. As a child my mother and aunts wouldn't let me learn because it was "woman's work". All I know how to do is boil water to prepare eggs. With that in mind, let me ask: how long does it take you to cook a meal? From what I've been hearing, cooking a meal can't be done in a second.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on December 15, 2022, 05:25 AMI don't know anything about cooking. As a child my mother and aunts wouldn't let me learn because it was "woman's work". All I know how to do is boil water to prepare eggs. With that in mind, let me ask: how long does it take you to cook a meal? From what I've been hearing, cooking a meal can't be done in a second.
It wasn't that long. Actually, when I bought this "rôti de porc", it was already decorated, I just had to cook it. But you probably know that when a roast pork is invited at the table, you have to bake it in the oven for a long time, usually at least one hour. It would take half as much time for a roast beef.
So for this dish, I just had to turn on the oven and allow the pork meat to rest for 1 hour before removing.
I don't know if you remember the recipe of the tartiflette, which was presented on the forum. I'm sure you could do that in San Antonio, as long as you can find some Reblochon. But the preparation technique is longer, as we can see here, since you have to slice the potatoes into strips, add the bacon cubes and the cheese: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3197.msg37148#msg37148

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 17, 2022, 12:16 AMIt wasn't that long. Actually, when I bought this "rôti de porc", it was already decorated, I just had to cook it. But you probably know that when a roast pork is invited at the table, you have to bake it in the oven for a long time, usually at least one hour. It would take half as much time for a roast beef.

Can't you just put it in the microwave? If my microwave died, right now I'd have to go get a new one. Fortunately at WalMart they're cheap and readily available. Walmarts are everywhere in this country. I think there are some in Europe too.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on December 17, 2022, 05:33 AMCan't you just put it in the microwave? If my microwave died, right now I'd have to go get a new one. Fortunately at WalMart they're cheap and readily available. Walmarts are everywhere in this country. I think there are some in Europe too.
Well, given that cooking a pork roast is long in a traditional oven (1 hour for a small one, 1 hour and a half for a big one), I just don't know if it's possible. It's certainly possible for pork ribs, or if you cut the pork roast into small pieces, but for a big pork roast, chances are it won't be well cooked. Vasudev, Gulliver, Maher and shadow.97 must be wondering why pork meat must be well-cooked. The reason is simple: when raw, and if the pork roast is pink and juicy inside, it is not good but once cooked it can reveal "incomparable flavours". What's more, you have to know that eating raw or undercooked beef or pork is the major risk factor for acquiring tapeworm. 
So if you want to cook a big pork roast in a microwave, why not, but be sure it's not undercooked inside.

scarface

Note that I'm going to present a new dish tonight.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another dish.

I guess shadow.97 and Maher can't believe their eyes: this sausage is incredibly big! In mcdonald's phrase, it's a XXL pig mac (and not big mac).
Actually, it's a raw saucisson. Since it can't fit in a pan, let's put it in the oven. You can see in the first photo that this tasty saucisson features a sauce made from red wine and a shallot.
In the second photo, you can see the outcome. Some potatoes were added. Actually the shallot slices are not burnt, they are just soaked in wine. 
I would say that the saucisson is now "potato-ready".

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on December 19, 2022, 09:48 PMTonight, I'm going to show you another dish.

I guess shadow.97 and Maher can't believe their eyes: this sausage is incredibly big! In mcdonald's phrase, it's a XXL pig mac (and not big mac).
Actually, it's a raw saucisson. Since it can't fit in a pan, let's put it in the oven. You can see in the first photo that this tasty saucisson features a sauce made from red wine and a shallot.
In the second photo, you can see the outcome. Some potatoes were added. Actually the shallot slices are not burnt, they are just soaked in wine. 
I would say that the saucisson is now "potato-ready".
That sausage doesnt look very big..  ::) But it being one serving is big. (Or is it a perspective thing?)

Common sausage in sweden, often with pasta, ketchup and mustard.
1.5 kg/3.3lbs
Usually cooked in one piece but you use a spoon to take how much you want.
Personally not a huge fan of sausage

Pic after cooking

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 20, 2022, 05:04 AMThat sausage doesnt look very big..  ::) But it being one serving is big. (Or is it a perspective thing?)
The one being served looks bigger indeed (in the second photo) and yet it is the same sausage (It's probably because the baking pan is much larger than the plate).
In fact, if you right click on the picture, you can open it in a new tab and view the actual size.
With a 17" screen and a resolution of 1920x1080, it turns out the real size of the photo shows an approximate view of the real length of the baking pan and therefore of the sausage. So it's a big saucisson (400 grams).

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 20, 2022, 05:04 AM
Common sausage in sweden, often with pasta, ketchup and mustard.
1.5 kg/3.3lbs
1,5 kg for a sausage, it's just enormous. The grandeur of this sausage is not reflected in the photo either. It's bigger than a big "rôti de porc". Look at the one below: this roast pork weighs 1kg.
I've never seen anything similar in France.