• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Have you guys been reading the news about the situation in Russia? According to this morning's (16/10/2022) edition of the Washington Post, Putin has resorted to simply taking men off the streets at random to send them to Ukraine. At a recent raid at a restaurant-bar they took everybody. This includes a 55-year old drunk man and a courier who arrived to simply deliver a package. This is starting to remind me of Hitler from 1942 onward: a despot out of his mind and making horrendous decisions. I'm posting this because if indeed this is true, Daniil is in grave danger. Daniil, if you're reading this: swim to Finland if you have to, and, if conscripted, surrender to the Ukrainian army as soon as you can.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on October 17, 2022, 04:39 AMHave you guys been reading the news about the situation in Russia? According to this morning's (16/10/2022) edition of the Washington Post, Putin has resorted to simply taking men off the streets at random to send them to Ukraine. At a recent raid at a restaurant-bar they took everybody. This includes a 55-year old drunk man and a courier who arrived to simply deliver a package. This is starting to remind me of Hitler from 1942 onward: a despot out of his mind and making horrendous decisions. I'm posting this because if indeed this is true, Daniil is in grave danger. Daniil, if you're reading this: swim to Finland if you have to, and, if conscripted, surrender to the Ukrainian army as soon as you can.
I found and read this article in the Washington Post, you summed it up pretty well.
This is a dilemma, I don't see any good solutions.
Putin called Assad and Kim Jong-un to send mercenaries to Ukraine, apparently it wasn't an interesting project for them.
After counting on Chechen inmates, Russia is now turning to the urban population of Moscow and Saint Petersburg to take up arms.
In this context, if Daniil wants to stay in Russia, and if doesn't want to be sent to the battle front in Ukraine, maybe it would be wise for him to be disguised as a woman in the street. I don't know if this is a good solution.
Let's hope that Ukraine will win the war, The Russians slowly understand they don't stand a chance in fighting lions.
If he wants to go to Poland or Estonia, why not, but I don't know what he will do other there.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 18, 2022, 11:23 PMPutin called Assad and Kim Jong-un to send mercenaries to Ukraine, apparently it wasn't an interesting project for them.

This is desperation. Neither of these 2 countries are in any condition to send troops anywhere. Both are near the bottom on the 2021 world corruption index. For those who must live there it's the only way to survive.

Quote from: scarface on October 18, 2022, 11:23 PMAfter counting on Chechen inmates, Russia is now turning to the urban population of Moscow and Saint Petersburg to take up arms. In this context, if Daniil wants to stay in Russia, and if doesn't want to be sent to the battle front in Ukraine, maybe it would be wise for him to be disguised as a woman in the street. I don't know if this is a good solution.Let's hope that Ukraine will win the war, The Russians slowly understand they don't stand a chance in fighting lions. If he wants to go to Poland or Estonia, why not, but I don't know what he will do other there.

Do you honestly think Daniil can pass himself off as a woman? I doubt it. He either finds some way to make it to Estonia or Finland, or he'll be in hiding forever. I seriously doubt any of these countries is going to send him back if he's a Russian citizen running from a brutal madman.

As for winning this war, as things stand there is no possibility of a Russian victory. Russian soldiers have no interest in fighting and hate their commanders. They're tired, untrained, they lack supplies, etc. etc. They abandon tanks and other military hardware in virtually unused condition and take off on foot. No country can win a war under like this. If Putin goes berserk and uses the nuclear option, he's toast. The entire world will react very strongly. Also, who is he going to use his nukes against? Ukraine is on Russia's border. With all the fallout these weapons create, he may as well be using them in Russia itself near populated areas. And keep in mind something else: this scenario is assuming that those with their fingers on the button decide to follow his orders. Given the broken command structure and overall incompetence, I doubt it.

And of course, keep in mind Russia has already lost nearly 65,000 soldiers in under 8 months. This figure exceeds the number of American casualties during 7 years in Vietnam (58,000). Don't think the Russian people don't know it. No wonder nobody wants to fight. Remember too that winter is coming. This time it is the Russians who will suffer the same fate as Napoleon and Hitler.

Shadow.97

Ended up ordering a new laptop today.
HP Victus RTX 3050 16-D0013no 16,1" i5-11400H (Gen 11) 8GB RAM 512GB SSD

Mainly picked it due to the ports it has and the layout of them.
Will be looking to shove 32gb of ram into it, as it's not too expensive.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 18, 2022, 06:54 PMEnded up ordering a new laptop today.
HP Victus RTX 3050 16-D0013no 16,1" i5-11400H (Gen 11) 8GB RAM 512GB SSD

That makes 2 of us. Newegg was offering an MSI GE76-Raider-11UE for $300 off the regular price and I took the bait. My current laptop is almost 7 years old and needed an upgrade badly.

Here's a question. I refuse to run that bloat-infested Windows 11 Home that comes with the computer. I'm planning to wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 11 Pro. Since the laptop comes with relatively new hardware, I can't get away with Windows 10. For starters, the lappie supports Wifi 6E - for that you must use W11.

I'm under the impression that the detestable secure boot won't allow booting from flashdrive, making a backup as a precaution, and proceeding with the changes. I'm thinking the way to go is to enter the BIOS, disable secure boot, boot from USB with Sergei Strelec's ISO, delete all existing partitions and install a clean pre-activated W11 Pro from flashdrive. After that reinstall all drivers which are readily available at MSI's web site. Guys -- you know more about this than I do. Do you think this is OK or do you know a better way?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 18, 2022, 06:54 PMMainly picked it due to the ports it has and the layout of them.

I'm thinking the same thing. It's gotten to the point that 16GB doesn't do it anymore, plus RAM isn't as notoriously expensive as it used to be. But first let me get this thing up and running with Pro.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 19, 2022, 05:45 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 18, 2022, 06:54 PMMainly picked it due to the ports it has and the layout of them.

I'm thinking the same thing. It's gotten to the point that 16GB doesn't do it anymore, plus RAM isn't as notoriously expensive as it used to be. But first let me get this thing up and running with Pro.
I'm going to consider getting a pro license, but other than that. I think I will try to use/get used to win11. If it comes with it. Not sure yet.

I'm planning on instantly "refreshing" the laptop to get it to not have as much bloat. But we'll see if it's needed.

RAM was also on sale on Black Friday. Due to the generous return window of 60 days, that you can try and use the product etc then return it. I felt comfortable buying both and then return if there's any issue. Wont see it for 20 days, something to look forward to.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 19, 2022, 07:11 PMI'm going to consider getting a pro license, but other than that. I think I will try to use/get used to win11. If it comes with it. Not sure yet.

Unless you bought a computer that was on the market 2-3 years ago, you have to bite the bullet and go with Win11. M$haft is purposely not supporting newer hardware on Win10. Sooner or later upgrades become mandatory. Resistance to upgrading has been around since the days of MS-Dos, if not further back than that.

Do you pay for a Pro license? Even if you did, how do you install it over Win11 Home? Do you wipe partitions or just overwrite the Home installation being sure to delete all the garbage in the process? For me Home is not an option. Off the top of my head (1) there is no Group Policy Editor, and (2) you must use a M$haft account. These 2 among other limitations.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 19, 2022, 07:11 PMI'm planning on instantly "refreshing" the laptop to get it to not have as much bloat. But we'll see if it's needed.

What do you mean? As I understand it, refreshing will not delete the bloat.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 19, 2022, 07:11 PMRAM was also on sale on Black Friday. Due to the generous return window of 60 days, that you can try and use the product etc then return it. I felt comfortable buying both and then return if there's any issue. Wont see it for 20 days, something to look forward to.

Eventually I'll get 32 GB. First let me get the damn thing working the way I want it.  :)

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 20, 2022, 05:10 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 19, 2022, 07:11 PMI'm going to consider getting a pro license, but other than that. I think I will try to use/get used to win11. If it comes with it. Not sure yet.

Unless you bought a computer that was on the market 2-3 years ago, you have to bite the bullet and go with Win11. M$haft is purposely not supporting newer hardware on Win10. Sooner or later upgrades become mandatory. Resistance to upgrading has been around since the days of MS-Dos, if not further back than that.

Do you pay for a Pro license? Even if you did, how do you install it over Win11 Home? Do you wipe partitions or just overwrite the Home installation being sure to delete all the garbage in the process? For me Home is not an option. Off the top of my head (1) there is no Group Policy Editor, and (2) you must use a M$haft account. These 2 among other limitations.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 19, 2022, 07:11 PMI'm planning on instantly "refreshing" the laptop to get it to not have as much bloat. But we'll see if it's needed.

What do you mean? As I understand it, refreshing will not delete the bloat.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 19, 2022, 07:11 PMRAM was also on sale on Black Friday. Due to the generous return window of 60 days, that you can try and use the product etc then return it. I felt comfortable buying both and then return if there's any issue. Wont see it for 20 days, something to look forward to.

Eventually I'll get 32 GB. First let me get the damn thing working the way I want it.  :)

@License.
Search for "Activation" in windows, then change product key to Pro, and your computer will be upgraded to Pro after a reboot.

@Refreshing.
No clue, I think it should wipe it as long as you tick the option that is NOT "safe files/programs"?

scarface

I'm currently watching the final of the football world cup and I think the Argentinians are going to win against France. They are completely dominating the match. I was going to post and they just scored a second goal.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 18, 2022, 05:37 PMI'm currently watching the final of the football world cup and I think the Argentinians are going to win against France. They are completely dominating the match. I was going to post and they just scored a second goal.

Did you watch the game to the end? What a match! I too believed it was all over for France until the 80th minute, then everything abruptly changed. Both teams deserve the trophy. Maher even texted me immediately after the game ended to discuss the match. Incidentally, did they show Macron on TV over there? In the beginning he was wearing his coat and tie. By the end there was no coat and a loose tie. I'm not surprised.

And speaking of the world cup, who of us on this forum would love to shag Miss Croatia? Let see... a show of hands please? All hands up (myself included). A unanimous yes!!  :)  ;)