• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

good movies

Started by scarface, March 01, 2013, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Tonight, another movie, titled the cow and I and known in French as "la vache et le prisonnier" is available on the forum.
This movie, released in 1959, is based on Jacques Antoine's 1945 novel, Une histoire vraie (A True Story).
Encoded in x265 with English subtitles. The movie was "denoised".

Story: Charles Bailly, a French prisoner of war in Germany in the summer of 1943, decides to escape from the farm where he is forced to work and go home to France. Observing that a man with a cow and a milk pail passes unnoticed in the Bavarian countryside, his plan is to take one (whom he names Marguerite) and to walk with her to Stuttgart, where he will leave her and hide aboard a train for France.
Their epic journey takes weeks, during which the two meet many people, some sympathetic and some not. They get into many situations, some dangerous and some hilarious. For example, on a narrow pontoon bridge over the Danube, Marguerite will not budge when a company of German soldiers tries to cross.
Reaching Stuttgart, Bailly has to part from Marguerite and jumps on a train. At its first stop in France, he gets off but is challenged by French police. To escape them he jumps on another train, which viewers can see is heading for Stuttgart.

Link: https://mega.nz/file/EZ9lCYYY#nIigPSd1yZr8gb9My5wg26GNApjPHjweIn7bmg2u-LA

scarface

Tonight, another movie is available on the forum.
This is the movie "les 3 frères", released in 1995. If you don't speak French perfectly it's not a problem: this movie has English subtitles.
If you want to watch an excellent and funny movie, I recommend this one.
Encoded in x265.

Three half-brothers are reunited at their mother's funeral. After being told of their inheritance they quickly spend the money, only to find out that they will not receive it after all. The men grow closer while deciding how to proceed.

It's the "Inconnus"'s first movie for the screen and they made a funny and entertaining comedy. Three men who are very different are discovering that they are brothers. They 're also discovering that they're going to inherit a fortune that used to belong to their mother. But the inheritance is cancelled and they must escape from the police, the notaries, the bailiffs. Now that they are in the street, they've got to beg for but at the same time, they're learning to know each other better.... The film won the Oscar for the First Best film in 1996.

Link: https://mega.nz/file/LJZD2YYJ#WIKvHNzQMUj6YqJgxbsH_SAm_1VnlAc6vhR4FtCXbZM

scarface

Tonight, a new movie, titled les misérables and released in 2012, is available on the forum.
In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after breaking parole, agrees to care for a factory worker's daughter, known as Cosette. The decision changes their lives forever.
link: https://ok.ru/video/31608670750

Here you can see a 1951 edition of the book (it contains 1805 pages). On the left, you can see dried edelweiss. I assume humbert and Vasudev have read this book (the French edition).

scarface

Tonight, another movie, titled Germinal and released in 1993 is available on the forum.

Story: In mid-nineteenth-century northern France, a coal mining town's workers are exploited by the mine's owner. One day, they decide to go on strike, and the authorities repress them.

In French with English subtitles
link: https://ok.ru/video/6176092785223

Gulliver and maher are certain wondering why the book is titled Germinal. In fact, it's because something is germinating. And you can read it in the following passage, taken from the book : "But now, deep in the earth, the miner was waking from his slumber and germinating in the soil like a real seed; and one fine day people would see what was growing in the middle of these fields: yes, men, a whole army of men, would spring up from the earth, and justice would be restored."

scarface

Tonight, another movie, titled Delusions of grandeur, is available on the forum.

Story: Power-hungry tax collector Don Salluste de Bazan (Louis De Funès) is banished from the Spanish Court and decides to use his valet, Blaze (Yves Montand), to take his revenge. In disguise, Blaze fills Don Salluste's vacant position and plans to have an affair with the queen (Karin Schubert), which the vengeful ex-collector will then reveal to the king (Alberto de Mendoza). Instead, Blaze and the queen fall in love, and the valet uses his newfound power to help end mistreatment of the poor.

In French with English subtitles.
Link: https://ok.ru/video/6076380154439

For the anecdote, Karin Schubert, the queen in the movie, came out of nowhere and sailed high into an international career opposite Richard Burton, Yves Montand and another tragic blonde star, Dalida. She gave fine performances in everything. After these successes, Schubert shocked audiences when she abruptly moved into hardcore sex films in 1985 before vanishing from the public eye without a trace a decade later. What the public didn't know was that Karin Schubert's segue into hardcore wasn't a capricious choice on her part. Her son, who was desperately addicted to drugs, had become so out of control that his mother became the target of his violent outbursts. Schubert left her career behind and fled to Spain initially before agreeing to pose for the hardcore pictorials to earn the money needed to get her son treatment. In 1994 she was placed under the care of a psychiatric hospital.

Guliver

Quote from: scarface on April 04, 2023, 08:11 PMTonight, another movie, titled Delusions of grandeur, is available on the forum.

Thanks for the movie scarface, I can't believe I haven't seen this specific De Funès yet. Will have to check it out.

Guliver

Hello everyone, today I'd like to present a movie as well. It is called "Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin", made in 1994 in a Czech/Russian/French/Italian/UK co-production. The screenplay was written by a czech playwright/actor/writer, but it's based on a satirical novel written by soviet dissident Vladimir Voinovich, which depicts the daily absurdities of the soviet regime and expresses strong anti-war sentiment. The movie is, at its heart, a comedy, and it ends on a more lighthearted note than the novel. A short description from IMDB reads:
Quote"Set in a small Ukrainian village during the outbreak of war with Germany in 1941, Private Chonkin, not overly endowed with intelligence, is left to guard a downed military aircraft. The authorities appear to have forgotten about him so this leaves him free to work his charms on the village postmistress, Nyura, until the local militia are tipped off."

I think some users of the forum, humbert for example, could find it very interesting, and still relevant in the present day.

You can watch the movie here in czech dub with english subtitles: https://vimeo.com/834341988
There is also a russian dub available, for those who will find it easier to understand, like Daniil. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_X7WHWhFM

scarface

Tonight, another good movie, titled "The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane", is available on the forum.

The story: A thirteen-year-old girl, who lives with her absentee father, befriends a disabled teenage amateur magician and invites him, gradually, into her tenuous struggle against a predatory local neighbor.

https://ok.ru/video/1461158283977

scarface

I assume humbert watched a few of the movies available in this topic. Perhaps maher and Guliver watched the excellent movie "The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane", presented in the previous message.

If you want to watch another movie, I' going to present misery, released in 1990.

The story: After a famous author is rescued from a car crash by a fan of his novels, he comes to realize that the care he is receiving is only the beginning of a nightmare of captivity and abuse.

Analysis:
The most unsettling thing about "Misery" is that Annie seems to have no endgame. Almost from the beginning of the play, it's clear that nothing good can come from trapping a famous writer in her cabin for months, with the world searching for him and a sheriff occasionally knocking at her door.
Misery is rather a psychological thriller than a horror film. As such it does not feature the sheer number of jump scares, moments of violence, and high number of deaths as was a convention of other horror films in the nineties. Of course, Misery is still frightening; and I don't know if I would advise it to Vasudev.

https://ok.ru/video/358028348038

humbert

Hey Scarface. I know you do some video editing and [I believe] use programs like handbrake. Is there any way to enlarge a video while limiting grainy pixelization to a minimum? I know this can be done with image files, but not sure about videos.

Some videos I have are almost the size of a postage stamp when put on a 4K screen.