• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on January 04, 2023, 08:32 PMHyperV runs similar to vmware vSphere and you need to enable it in win features. For a windows user it feels easier to use. But I prefer VBox since it allows co-existence with HyperV and also as OS level hypervisor.

Is there a link somewhere that explains how to use it? Suppose I wanted to run a distro of Linux under HyperV? How do you go about it? I'm not seeing a virtual machine program on Win10/11.

Quote from: Vasudev on January 04, 2023, 08:32 PMIf your workflow is basically 70-80% android apps try ChromeOS or chromebook which is pretty slick and has faster updates.

I use Nox mostly for testing Android apps. Most run but not all. I still have an old Chromebook. They stopped supporting it after 2 years. I saw no way to root it. This plus the fact that I have to put another device on my desk when I can just use the desktop or lappie.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 05, 2023, 05:02 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on January 04, 2023, 08:32 PMHyperV runs similar to vmware vSphere and you need to enable it in win features. For a windows user it feels easier to use. But I prefer VBox since it allows co-existence with HyperV and also as OS level hypervisor.

Is there a link somewhere that explains how to use it? Suppose I wanted to run a distro of Linux under HyperV? How do you go about it? I'm not seeing a virtual machine program on Win10/11.

Quote from: Vasudev on January 04, 2023, 08:32 PMIf your workflow is basically 70-80% android apps try ChromeOS or chromebook which is pretty slick and has faster updates.

I use Nox mostly for testing Android apps. Most run but not all. I still have an old Chromebook. They stopped supporting it after 2 years. I saw no way to root it. This plus the fact that I have to put another device on my desk when I can just use the desktop or lappie.
You can follow this video by Chris Titus for using Hyper V. Works on Win 10,11 as well.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on January 06, 2023, 10:19 PMYou can follow this video by Chris Titus for using Hyper V. Works on Win 10,11 as well.

Thanks. I downloaded the video so I can look at it carefully later on.

scarface

Note that a new version of windows 7 is available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14153.msg37204#msg37204
It is the final version. Its size was reduced by 1 Gb.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 13, 2023, 11:22 PMNote that a new version of windows 7 is available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14153.msg37204#msg37204

Is anybody still using Win7? Just the other day M$ discontinued support for W7 and W8.1. Time to upgrade.

Guliver

Quote from: humbert on January 14, 2023, 05:12 AMIs anybody still using Win7? Just the other day M$ discontinued support for W7 and W8.1. Time to upgrade.

Still me I guess :) I know Microsoft dropped support for win 7 a week ago, but I'm not in a hurry to switch to a newer version. Recently I had to do something on a computer with win 10 and it was such a pain! The OS seems so sluggish, it appeared to me like the OS is continuously doing something in the background and as a result there is a tiny delay to everything, even the simplest operations. I had an explorer window open and wanted to return to the parent folder, I hit "back" and it visibly hung for a while. When I was done I wanted to close the explorer window, and it froze for like a second before disappearing. I mean, what does the OS need to do that is so computationally intensive, just to close a window of explorer.exe? It was an unmodified installation, the same way it came from MS, so with some tweaks and hacks applied the performance might be better, but it didn't inspire much confidence in me.

Guliver

Quote from: scarface on January 13, 2023, 11:22 PMNote that a new version of windows 7 is available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14153.msg37204#msg37204

Thank you once again, scarface. Maybe there aren't too terribly many people who still have use for windows 7, but I do and I appreciate that you kept uploading up-to-date builds all the way until the end of ESU. You're doing god's work :) I will keep this final iso stored away somewhere for a long time, it will surely come in handy.

humbert

Quote from: Guliver on January 17, 2023, 01:55 AMStill me I guess :) I know Microsoft dropped support for win 7 a week ago, but I'm not in a hurry to switch to a newer version. Recently I had to do something on a computer with win 10 and it was such a pain! The OS seems so sluggish, it appeared to me like the OS is continuously doing something in the background and as a result there is a tiny delay to everything, even the simplest operations. I had an explorer window open and wanted to return to the parent folder, I hit "back" and it visibly hung for a while. When I was done I wanted to close the explorer window, and it froze for like a second before disappearing. I mean, what does the OS need to do that is so computationally intensive, just to close a window of explorer.exe? It was an unmodified installation, the same way it came from MS, so with some tweaks and hacks applied the performance might be better, but it didn't inspire much confidence in me.

Hey Guliver! Glad you're back.

Let me ask: what hardware are you using? I ask the question because I've been using W10 for a while now and, in all honestly, I haven't had much of a problem. Even my old i7 which I bought in 2014 it ran like a bullet on W10. The sluggishness you describe could be typical of not enough RAM and/or there's all kinds of garbageware that loads when you boot up. This is typical of any time you buy a laptop or any system with a preloaded copy of Windows.

When I received my new laptop, the first thing I did was go into the BIOS and disable secure boot. Then I booted up from Sergei Strelec's ISO, wipe all partitions, reformat the drive and start with a fresh copy of W11. It works great except for the defective start menu and Windows Update not working properly. Fortunately there are workarounds.

I might add that when it comes to RAM, I believe it's gotten to the point where 16GB is not enough. I'd go with 32GB. In a few more years it'll be up to 64GB.

I don't dispute the fact that the end user has the right to pick his favorite OS. The problem is that sooner or later, an upgrade is inevitable. Just a few years ago there were users who said they'd never abandon XP. Where are they now?

Hope to see you more often. :)

humbert

Quote from: Guliver on January 17, 2023, 01:55 AMStill me I guess :) I know Microsoft dropped support for win 7 a week ago, but I'm not in a hurry to switch to a newer version. Recently I had to do something on a computer with win 10 and it was such a pain! The OS seems so sluggish, it appeared to me like the OS is continuously doing something in the background and as a result there is a tiny delay to everything, even the simplest operations. I had an explorer window open and wanted to return to the parent folder, I hit "back" and it visibly hung for a while. When I was done I wanted to close the explorer window, and it froze for like a second before disappearing. I mean, what does the OS need to do that is so computationally intensive, just to close a window of explorer.exe? It was an unmodified installation, the same way it came from MS, so with some tweaks and hacks applied the performance might be better, but it didn't inspire much confidence in me.

Hey Guliver! Glad you're back.

Let me ask: what hardware are you using? I ask the question because I've been using W10 for a while now and, in all honestly, I haven't had much of a problem. Even my old i7 which I bought in 2014 it ran like a bullet on W10. The sluggishness you describe could be typical of not enough RAM and/or there's all kinds of garbageware that loads when you boot up. This is typical of any time you buy a laptop or any system with a preloaded copy of Windows.

When I received my new laptop, the first thing I did was go into the BIOS and disable secure boot. Then I booted up from Sergei Strelec's ISO, wipe all partitions, reformat the drive and start with a fresh copy of W11. It works great except for the defective start menu and Windows Update not working properly. Fortunately there are workarounds.

I might add that when it comes to RAM, I believe it's gotten to the point where 16GB is now the bare bones minimum. I'd go with 32GB if I were you. In a few more years it'll be up to 64GB. Nothing less than 16.

I don't dispute the fact that the end user has the right to pick his favorite OS. The problem is that sooner or later, an upgrade is inevitable. Just a few years ago there were users who said they'd never abandon XP. Where are they now?

Hope to see you more often. :)
[/quote]

Vasudev

@scarface
I have downloaded the W7 ISO I wonder how you managed to trim it down to 2.5GB. I couldn't push below 4GB as a minimum even after rebasing updates etc. Try nvcleanstall. Its much better than nvslimmer. It will download only select components saving bandwidth and space.
EDIT: Nevermind install.wim was esd which brought down the size significantly.
@humbert I've moved to new Wifi 100Mbps up/down since LTE/5G has become spotty and rarely pushes beyond 1Mbps from 50-100Mbps.