• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on February 07, 2023, 09:20 PMTonight, I'm going to present a long-time favorite in France with the Dessert Cheese plate: this is an elegant way to finish the meal instead of a traditional dessert.

Look carefully at the photo below and especially at the cheese and the glass. I guess this cheese holds no secret for humbert and Vasudev.
Now what kind of cheese is it? And why is the glass so big? Maybe shadow97 or Guliver have the answer.

I'll give more comment later.

Cheese I assume is Gargonzola, and the glass is big because of alcoholism ;)?

@humbert,
The last few days we had the sausage at home, my mom made soup on it, fried it but this time around didn't oven bake it which is the second most common way to cook it :)

The last 10 days or so I've had mouth ulcers in my throat, making eating anything non-soft torture. We're making tacos tomorrow. Hopefully it wont be that painful.
Our tacos are not really mexican ones. No coriander and way more filling. Oh, and we roll it like a burrito.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 09, 2023, 12:28 AM@humbert,
The last few days we had the sausage at home, my mom made soup on it, fried it but this time around didn't oven bake it which is the second most common way to cook it :)

Must have been delicious. Was it a soup meal with sausages floating around inside or what the soup separate?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 09, 2023, 12:28 AMThe last 10 days or so I've had mouth ulcers in my throat, making eating anything non-soft torture. We're making tacos tomorrow. Hopefully it wont be that painful.

Do you know the cause? Is it going away? If not you need to see a doctor. Incidentally, somewhere I heard a doctors visit was free in Sweden. True?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 09, 2023, 12:28 AMOur tacos are not really mexican ones. No coriander and way more filling. Oh, and we roll it like a burrito.

The tacos you find in Mexico are very different from those found outside of Mexico. This concept holds true for many other countries as well.

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 09, 2023, 12:28 AMCheese I assume is Gargonzola, and the glass is big because of alcoholism ;)?

The answer of shadow.97 is particularly provocative but I'm surprised by its spontaneity and perspicacity.
First and foremost, his answer about the cheese is very interesting. It's not Gorgonzola but Roquefort on the picture, but these cheeses beckon to us from the deli counter where they stand side by side in the space dedicated to blue cheeses, sharing the same blue veins and intense aroma. Similar, but by no means identical, Gorgonzola and Roquefort are two cheese varieties produced respectively in Italy and France, two life-long competitors on the world cheese market. Both are noble delicacies for hearty palates and authentic gourmets. They are best when served at room temperature and pair beautifully with full-bodied red wines. Let's find out exactly how they differ.
It must be pointed out that Gorgonzola can be either mild (dolce) or pungent (piccante) but for the sake of this comparison we shall be referring to the natural or pungent version, which is more similar to Roquefort. Only two regions of Northern Italy are authorised to produce Gorgonzola: Lombardy and Piedmont. On the other hand, Roquefort comes from the South of France, namely from the region of Languedoc-Roussillon-Midi-Pyrénées, and more precisely from the Municipal district of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon.
The most essential difference between the two cheeses is that Gorgonzola is made from unskimmed pasteurised cow's milk and is either mild or pungent according to how long it has been aged, to obtain different consistencies: either mild and creamy, or firm, crumbly and pungent. While Roquefort is produced from ewe's milk, and its consistency is firm, its taste is pungent.

Now let's talk about the big glass. Because of its enormous content, shadow.97 thought that this glass was destined to the alcoholics. And it's pretty convenient to use this glass to drink a lot of alcohol indeed because you only need to fill it twice to empty a standard bottle of wine. But this is not his primary purpose. Actually, big wine glasses are used to enhance the enjoyment of wine and allow wines to open up more fully, releasing all the amazing layers and notes in the taste of a great wine. Also note that a drunkard wouldn't drink a fitou, which is a good red wine, but a tasteless wine or a cheap beer.

Daniil

Hi, guys!

At fall we talked about russian meat jelly, which we in Russia name "holodets". I said that it's a holiday dish. And we made that dish for New Year Eve. Remembering about our conversation, I made some photos for you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dieuCFvxIUkf0RRjEUcwSpTc0MX7H6zX/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CpZEtxLpNCRffAP_UGCvkxwdVJqU5mVv/view?usp=sharing

That's meat jelly, made with pork legs and chicken. We ate it with mustard and horseradish, with vodka. It was very nice!

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another dessert with cheese.

Well,it looks like the last photo, but this excellent wine pairs very well with this cheese.
Note that after the biting remark of shadow.97, I'm using another wine glass.
What kind of wine is it? and what about the cheese? I will tell you later.

Here you can see a chunk of Roquefort with some bread, and a bottle of Beaujolais wine.
Actually, I already presented this wine and Guliver reacted swiftly in a message to say that he remembered the scene of the movie "the thigh or the wing": https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3197.msg37839#msg37839
This movie is available on the forum in the best movies topic by the way.
This scene is funny because Charles Duchemin, the editor of an internationally known restaurant guide, is ordering Beaujolais Nouveau, and it seems undrinkable.
Beaujolais Nouveau is generally cheap, mass produced and suffers from a number of negative stereotypes. Critics say it tastes terrible (apparently similar to bananas to some), and above all that it is low-quality. But Beaujolais Nouveau is not the only wine to come out of the region (it represents only about 20% of the Beaujolais production), and the Beaujolais vintages Morgon, Chénas, Brouilly, are a real step up in quality.

As far as the bottle above is concerned, this is a Moulin à Vent (windmill), one of the finest vintages in Beaujolais with Morgon.
This appellation of red wine takes its name from an authentic windmill, classified as a historical monument, whose restored wings still turn in the heart of the vineyards. In the east of France, it is produced in the north of the Beaujolais vineyards, where the 10 vintages of this region are concentrated and of which the Moulin-à-vent appellation is part. It is spread over the villages of Chénas in the Rhône and Romanèche-Thorins in Saône-et-Loire. The moulin-à-vent expresses all the qualities of its grape variety, the black gamay with white juice, the vines having found here a climate and soils particularly adapted to their culture.
The wine's colour is an intense purplish red, sometimes evoking dark garnet, sometimes deep ruby. When young, the aromatic palette is dominated by violet and ripe cherry. It becomes more complex with age and is enriched by aromas of iris, faded rose and ripe fruit. They then evolve towards truffles, venison, musk and ambergris.
The red wines of the Moulin-à-vent appellation are tannic and fleshy in the mouth, full-bodied and fine at the same time. They have a good length, are velvety and delicately spicy. These are wines with good ageing potential. On average, a Moulin-à-vent bottle can be kept for 5 to 10 years.
It goes well with many dishes, especially red meat dishes: grilled beef fillet, chateaubriand, boeuf bourguignon, tournedos, pot-au-feu... A moulin-à-vent also goes well with game: hare stew, roast coq de bruyère, thrush pâté, braised pheasant... Finally, it is an excellent wine to accompany a cheese platter, especially if it has character: beaufort, saint-marcellin, camembert, epoisses, roquefort...
A bottle of Moulin à Vent costs between 8 and 30 €.

Each time I post a message in this topic there is a bottle of wine, and understandably, shadow.97 must think there is a bottle of wine each day or for each meal in the diet plan of scarface. But it's not the case and in fact each time I buy some wine, I take a photo and post it on the forum, to give my opinion about the wine and spend a convivial moment with the readers of the forum. If such a diet wouldn't be a problem for my purse, it would definitely be a problem for my liver.
Note that In the peasant world, it's usually saucisson and cheap red wine for dinner - statistics show that people living in rural or remote areas may face a strong drinking culture - (and if it's not pork saucisson, then there is boudin,in the plate i.e. blood sausage). What's more, in the worst cases the red wine is offered from breakfast in some farms, but I still prefer a morning cup of coffee.

scarface

Note that I added comments in the previous message and I gave shadow.97 some explanations.

scarface

Tonight, I' going to present a new dish.

Look carefully at the photo below.

I guess that the reactions of the users of the forum are different.
shadow.97 must be thinking that this sausage looks funny. And Vasudev must be licking his chops.
What you see here is a Spanish fuet with a piece of bread, and a glass of beer.

Fuet is Catalan sausage, in other words, from the Catalan region of Spain. It is a wonderful and a thin, dry cured sausage of pork meat. It can be added to a variety of dishes, or eaten on bread. It is often served on a cutting board on the dinner table.

scarface

Note that it's my birthday today (I'm 40 years old). Nobody will be present for that since I've no relatives any more and currently no friend nearby (one of them is in Japan). So I'm going to prepare a good dish and present it on the forum to share this moment with you.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present a new recipe that I prepared for my 40th birthday.

Vasudev, Guliver and humbert may have never seen this before.
Here you can is a duck gizzards confit and a delicious ratatouille.
If you like this recipe, I'm waiting for your comments and suggestions.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on April 07, 2023, 07:55 PMTonight, I'm going to present a new recipe that I prepared for my 40th birthday.

Vasudev, Guliver and humbert may have never seen this before.
Here you can is a duck gizzards confit and a delicious ratatouille.
If you like this recipe, I'm waiting for your comments and suggestions.
Happy late birthday!! Hope your day managed to be good still. I'm planning to spend mine alone as well. I start my work one day before my birthday, so will be at work the entire day and dead tired.