• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on January 23, 2023, 07:21 PM@scarface
I have downloaded the W7 ISO I wonder how you managed to trim it down to 2.5GB. I couldn't push below 4GB as a minimum even after rebasing updates etc. Try nvcleanstall. Its much better than nvslimmer. It will download only select components saving bandwidth and space.
Actually, I used harkaz's rebase to slim it down. Since there will be no more updates, I manually deleted a lot of stuff in the winsxs folder. I also deleted many old drivers (printers, TV tuner...). Actually, if I was doing an aggressive cleaning of the winsxs folder, it could be even smaller, but I essentially deleted "useless stuff" (drivers, wallpapers, fonts...). If you try to turn on windows features - ie tablet pc or other features - you may encounter problems though.

scarface

I know that the crew is growing restless at the lack of new versions concerning windows 10 and windows 11. Even if they are ready, in all likelihood, I'm going to wait till next month for an update. The embedded apps will be updated too (for example a new version of winrar was released today).

Shadow.97

With a windows update my W11 laptop now forcibly goes to 60hz on wakeup and startup instead of 144hz. Can not figure out why. Checked both intel and nvidia settings, as well as windows. Tried removing them all from boot etc.

It happens a minute or two after the PC is on. Which makes it.. much more odd. I'm fairly certain it's relating to a windows update.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 09, 2023, 12:30 AMWith a windows update my W11 laptop now forcibly goes to 60hz on wakeup and startup instead of 144hz. Can not figure out why. Checked both intel and nvidia settings, as well as windows. Tried removing them all from boot etc.
It happens a minute or two after the PC is on. Which makes it.. much more odd. I'm fairly certain it's relating to a windows update.

I don't doubt it for a second. W11 is buggier than a tropical rain forest. My Windows Update and Windows Store still don't work. All I get is those stupid error messages that begin with 0x. Google that and all you get is solutions that don't work and have nothing to do with the problem.

BTW how did you notice the refresh rate came down? Do you have an app that tells you that? It takes a sharp eye to visually see the difference.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on February 11, 2023, 05:01 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 09, 2023, 12:30 AMWith a windows update my W11 laptop now forcibly goes to 60hz on wakeup and startup instead of 144hz. Can not figure out why. Checked both intel and nvidia settings, as well as windows. Tried removing them all from boot etc.

I don't doubt it for a second. W11 is buggier than a tropical rain forest. My Windows Update and Windows Store still don't work. All I get is those stupid error messages that begin with 0x. Google that and all you get is solutions that don't work and have nothing to do with the problem.

BTW how did you notice the refresh rate came down? Do you have an app that tells you that? It takes a sharp eye to visually see the difference.

I can tell instantly with my eyes during movement of any object larger than a couple of pixels. Most noticable is, moving cursor or scrolling in browser. Or a game feeling choppy.

As of yet I have not yet found a screen with fast enough refreshrate for me not to notice. But there is a steep falloff after 144hz.
I find it very annoying to spend time doing more than basic tasks such as word processing with a screen below 90hz.
My current monitors are 2x 180hz 1440p. (LG 27'' UltraGear 27GP850 QHD Nano IPS 180 Hz)
There is a noticable difference between 144hz and 180hz. But I would strongly consider getting 4k instead of 180hz if I were to buy again. I just got the first one of these for a low price, and then the day after found an identical one used for €100 less than the already cheap monitor. Absolute pristine considiton.

Important to note is that not only does HZ matter, but also pixel response time. At work I had a monitor with a very old IPS panel that had ghosting on everything, and it was 60hz. It was an abomination to use for anything except Teams messages.
Would love to try an Oled panel with high refreshrate. Unfortunately burnin is still a major issue for such monitors. Leaving them on for a day is not a good idea.

Speaking of monitors. If you've not been blessed by the monitor-arm life, strongly consider getting a movable arm you attach at the end of your desk. unless you use a laptop. For me atleast, it's been one of the things that have made me the happiest in terms of computer upgrades in a long while. It looks so much more clean, more space, and I can have my keyboard and mouse further up without any issues. Best €35 spent in a long while.

Ordered an Ember Mug 2 295 ml white today. Hopefully it will be just as big of a life-quality upgrade. I'm tired of my coffee getting cold while I get caught up doing nothing. Got it for €30 cheaper than normal.
Just such a shame that the cost is an arm and a leg.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 12, 2023, 01:03 AMAs of yet I have not yet found a screen with fast enough refreshrate for me not to notice. But there is a steep falloff after 144hz.
I find it very annoying to spend time doing more than basic tasks such as word processing with a screen below 90hz.
My current monitors are 2x 180hz 1440p. (LG 27'' UltraGear 27GP850 QHD Nano IPS 180 Hz)
There is a noticable difference between 144hz and 180hz. But I would strongly consider getting 4k instead of 180hz if I were to buy again. I just got the first one of these for a low price, and then the day after found an identical one used for €100 less than the already cheap monitor. Absolute pristine considiton.

I'm using a Samsung UR590C 32" curved monitor. I just checked the specs and it maxes out at 3820x2160 @60Hz. Honestly it looks great both in general and with games. You have eyes like a hawk. I congratulate you.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 12, 2023, 01:03 AMSpeaking of monitors. If you've not been blessed by the monitor-arm life, strongly consider getting a movable arm you attach at the end of your desk. unless you use a laptop. For me atleast, it's been one of the things that have made me the happiest in terms of computer upgrades in a long while. It looks so much more clean, more space, and I can have my keyboard and mouse further up without any issues. Best €35 spent in a long while.

Are the monitors at eye level or higher? For me this would be an issue. I wear progressive glasses. In order to focus at close range I have to use the bottom part of the lens. If the monitor is at eye level or higher I have to point my head up and eyes down to see clearly.

Also: did you yourself install the monitor arms? Are they held to your desk with clamps? I have a very hard time performing installations or using tools in general.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on February 12, 2023, 01:03 AMOrdered an Ember Mug 2 295 ml white today. Hopefully it will be just as big of a life-quality upgrade. I'm tired of my coffee getting cold while I get caught up doing nothing. Got it for €30 cheaper than normal.
Just such a shame that the cost is an arm and a leg.

I just googled this. I was shocked to learn that a coffee mug is being sold for $129.95! Is this thing heated externally or what? If not, then how exactly did they get around the 2nd law of thermodynamics, i.e., energy (heat in this case) like to go from where it is to where it isn't?

Daniil

Question to those of you, friends, who are using Windows 11 for at least 6 months.

What are main advantages of Win11, in comparison to Win10?
How much volume it really required on disk?
How stable is it (is it stable enough to use it as OS for Unity/Python programmer workstation)?
How it interacts with modern hardware (esp. VR helmets)?

scarface

Quote from: Daniil on February 25, 2023, 10:58 AMQuestion to those of you, friends, who are using Windows 11 for at least 6 months.

What are main advantages of Win11, in comparison to Win10?
Basically none, at least for me (I don't use the new taskbar since I installed Open shell menu to get a classic taskbar).

Quote from: Daniil on February 25, 2023, 10:58 AMHow much volume it really required on disk?
pretty much the same as windows 10

Quote from: Daniil on February 25, 2023, 10:58 AMHow stable is it (is it stable enough to use it as OS for Unity/Python programmer workstation)?
How it interacts with modern hardware (esp. VR helmets)?
It's stable, but not more than windows 10 (or even windows 7).
There is a real advantage for x86-32 bit Operating systems over 16-bit and 16/32-bit hybrid versions (Windows ME and earlier), therefore we can consider that Windows XP, a truly 32 bit OS, was a major step from Windows 98. It was marketed for higher reliability business use, and was unencumbered by any Microsoft DOS patrimony.
But the newer OSes are not major steps. In fact, 64 bits OSes are really no better than x86 Oses. If X86-64 runs instructions with 64 bit operands, which x86-32 simply cannot do, there's a real qualitative difference. This allows larger individual values to be processed, and, probably the major benefit of 64 bit systems, much larger data sets without complex address space management. Technically an X86-64 can run much larger programs, but in practice nobody writes single programs big enough for this to matter.

You can read more here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-11-vs-windows-10/
Conclusion: I would advise to stick with windows 10.

humbert

Windows 11 is stable but very buggy. In my case the start menu doesn't work. Windows Updates doesn't work either. That also takes down the Windows Store because its apps are installed through Windows updates. Store apps and updates must installed manually, and there are times that doesn't work. Stick with 10 for as long as possible.

I should mention the only reason I'm using W11 on my new laptop is precisely because it's too new. M$ is not supporting newer hardware on W10, you must forcibly use W11. A perfect example is Wifi-6E. It works very well. It's fast will very little latency. Only W11 supports it, with W10 all you get it Wifi6. My desktop is still on W10 and I'm not upgrading until they fix all those bugs.

Daniil

Thank you, guys. Before getting out I'm planning change my workstation to laptop, that's why I'm asking. And because I'm Unity developer, I'm forcibly linked to Windows. In other case I'd prefer sort of Linux now.