• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

My Confession

Started by aa1234779, December 20, 2018, 04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aa1234779

As we have mentioned atheism and atheist, it's a chance to tell who my favorite atheists are, not for their beliefs which I do not agree with respectfully, but because they are free men who stand up for others, and live not only for themselves, but for humanity as a whole with no selfishness at all imo.

Naom Chomsky
Norman Finkelstein
and George Carlin  ;D

You can find some good reads about the middle east on this site, I recommend bookmarking it:
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/its-more-bread-why-are-protests-sudan-happening-468957326
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

humbert

Quote from: aa1234779 on December 26, 2018, 02:04 PM
Whether atheism is a belief (or belief system) or a religion, there is a god that atheists worship imho that is one's self and ideas.

I disagree. Atheists believe there are no gods, plain and simple. I can't speak for other atheists but rest assured I don't worship myself nor anything else. My opinions are based on science and logic, or at last least my interpretation.

Atheism led communists to be inhumane because they hold the values of Marx, Lennon, Stalin, Mao, and others to be holy even if they claim otherwise.

There is no question that the system imposed in Stalinist Russia, Maoist China and today's North Korea have all the characteristics of a religion. The leaders of these countries created a personality cult which, for all intents and purposes, raised them to the level of living gods. The system comes complete with a set of rules and values. It's even monotheistic just like Islam, Christianity and Judaism.

Marx is a different story. He believed organized religion was complicit which those who were oppressing the workers by promising them heaven if they behaved themselves. That's why he called religion the "Opium of the People". Consequently, atheism is the norm (no god, no complicity).

John Lennon was a man of peace who simply didn't believe in religion, or maybe that religion has a negative influence for humanity.

I believe as many other Muslims do that not all atheists are evil, Allah says in the Quran: "They aren't alike" as to Jews & Christians and the same goes for all other faiths including atheists & Muslims who are not an exception as evil exists in humanity in general.

This is great! When I was a child in Catholic school, we were taught atheists were bad people or at the very least misguided. They were clearly on the enemies list. I believe it's illegal to openly be an atheist in the KSA and Iran.

Although I'm openly against nudity.

You are within your rights to hold this or any opinion. In my case it's not so much that burkinis offend me, I just think it's ridiculous for women to have to wear these disgusting rags because their religions says so. One thing is for sure -- neither one of us has the right to impose our beliefs on these women, no matter how much we disagree.

I say this even though I was bullied on a daily basis, made fun of my accent, told to go back to my country many many times.
As to the slogan "Freedom & Justice for all" I believe in that as a principle that all humanity should adopt, not the American way of implementation though, being an evil imperialist superpower that bullies other nations & imposes tyrants upon them in the disguise of "policeman of the world".

Bullies exist everywhere and they always will. I know, I too was bullied and made fun of in school because I stutter when I speak. Fortunately as you yourself state, not everyone is like that. You could have told them this:

You: Do you speak Arabic?
Response: No
You: Then you should be ashamed of yourself for speaking just one language. How ignorant!

And of course I fervently disagree with this country's imperialist policies. Like all empires, it too will eventually die off. And of course I despise this moron who is now the president. Hopefully the new congress will draft a bill of impeachment to remove him from power.

It must be really sad to be an immigrant, both here and in Europe. First you have these evil people smugglers who sell them on the idea that the streets of America and Europe are paved with gold. Then they steal their life savings. After that these people end up in an abominable situation, being hated and rejected with everyone and with no place to go. I often believe people smugglers should be hanged without trial.

And maybe if I come to San Antonio one day, I'll watch a Spurs game with you if you attend basketball games.

I'd love that! Maybe one day it'll happen. If you want I'll take you to one of the mosques I mentioned so you can pray in peace.

humbert

aa1234779 -> I have a question. As far as I know, Islam has no "command structure" - there are no bishops, no priests, no ministers, no rabbis etc. What then is an Imam? Is he just somebody who maintains a mosque, or a teacher, or what? Also, how does an Imam become an Imam?

Also, how does a marriage ceremony work in Islam? I ask because in Christianity and Judaism it involves the use of a priest, minister or rabbi. Nothing like that in Islam (correct me if I'm wrong).

aa1234779

Quote from: humbert on April 05, 2019, 07:06 AM
aa1234779 -> I have a question. As far as I know, Islam has no "command structure" - there are no bishops, no priests, no ministers, no rabbis etc. What then is an Imam? Is he just somebody who maintains a mosque, or a teacher, or what? Also, how does an Imam become an Imam?

Hi
Nice hearing from you.
An Imam is someone simply that has a great following.
There are only two authentic Imams in the original form of Islam before innovations & denominations took over.
The great Imam: the leader of the Islamic nation. Otherwise known as a Khalifah (Caliph). He is chosen by the nation's scholars & community leaders based on certain criteria that he has to meet. Those choosing him also must fit a certain criteria.
The Imam of prayer (Salah), he is to be appointed by the congregation based on his memory of the Quran, and his morals & piety, so if the people of a mosque have someone memorizing 10 of 30 chapters of the Holy book, and another only 5, they are obliged to choose the one memorizing more, on the condition he is not a known criminal or something that would deem him immoral.

Then there are Imams that are called that either because a certain Khalifah named them that, or there followers called them that, it's more because of them being an authority in knowledge & Fatwa, not that they have official power or anything.

The "twelver" Shiite Muslims on the other hand claim that their are 12 Imams that have special powers & knowledge after the last messenger from Allah died. I don't believe that.

Also, how does a marriage ceremony work in Islam? I ask because in Christianity and Judaism it involves the use of a priest, minister or rabbi. Nothing like that in Islam (correct me if I'm wrong).

No holy man must bless a marriage in Islam, their are a few requirements, that's all.

1- A guardian for the woman. (Many Hanafi school scholars don't require that, and I disagree!)
2- Telling the man he married his relative to the man.
3- Acceptance from the man.
4- Dowry, even if it were an iron ring. Some woman require less or more, some waive that right willingly.
5- Two Muslim adult male witnesses.
6- Making the marriage announced, usually by inviting people to eat food, preferably a sheep (according to the prophet's tradition). (This is contested as "a must")

I like to add one more, the intent from the man's side that this marriage is forever, because lately with the ease of travel and availability of money, marriage has become a means to take advantage of poor families to prey on their daughter's in temporary marriages.

Your interest in such matters is surprising.  :)
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)

humbert

Thanks for replying. Keep in mind you're the one doing me a favor by responding.  :)

You mentioned 2 great emams who were nominated by their peers because of the knowledge and dedication. Does this mean there are no living emams in Sunni Islam? Or are there more scattered around, perhaps teaching at at Madrassah? BTW, did you attend a Madrassah yourself?

With respect to marriage:

1) What is the role of a guardian for a woman and why do you believe one is needed? Does the guardian have to be a man?

2) Man married his relative?? I'm confused.

3) Acceptance from the man? Isn't he the one who usually proposes marriage to the woman, and even more so in male-dominant societies?

4) I'm not clear about what your definition of "dowry" is. I'm under the impression a dowry is something a man pays the woman's family for her hand in marriage, almost like a purchase. This may not be what you're referring to.

5) As for making the marriage announced, does this mean there is no ceremony? It's a simple matter of moving in together, making a few phone calls and telling everyone, nothing else? Does this also mean you can get unmarried in the same way?

Just trying to understand.

aa1234779

Quote from: humbert on April 09, 2019, 07:03 AM
Thanks for replying. Keep in mind you're the one doing me a favor by responding.  :)

Not a favor at all. It's my duty to tell a friend what I know.

You mentioned 2 great emams who were nominated by their peers because of the knowledge and dedication. Does this mean there are no living emams in Sunni Islam? Or are there more scattered around, perhaps teaching at at Madrassah? BTW, did you attend a Madrassah yourself?
They are two kinds of Imams, the great Imam & the Mosque Imam.
There are countless Mosque Imams 'living', but Muslims around the world have not instated a ruler (great Imam), and I don't know if there is one living that will be made a ruler of Muslims.
I never studied Islam academically other than that in Saudi schools (very narrowed down knowledge), except for an elective course on creed in my English B.A.
My Sheikh is books, and my Madrasah is the library (& Google  ;D )

With respect to marriage:

1) What is the role of a guardian for a woman and why do you believe one is needed? Does the guardian have to be a man?
The role of the guardian is accepting the man to be a husband of his female family member.
Women can be swain by unworthy men as we all know, more likely than men to be by unworthy women. If a man is immorally fit, the guardian is supposed to decline.
If the guardian forbids his female relative from marriage or is unfit for any reason, the justice system should take care of that, and the judge become the guardian.
2) Man married his relative?? I'm confused.
I meant to say the guardian giving his female relative to a man 'in-marriage'.

Quote3) Acceptance from the man? Isn't he the one who usually proposes marriage to the woman, and even more so in male-dominant societies?
yes, this is how it goes in Islam, after proposing and such, when marriage is becoming official, the Islamic way is the bride is given, and the groom accepts.

Quote4) I'm not clear about what your definition of "dowry" is. I'm under the impression a dowry is something a man pays the woman's family for her hand in marriage, almost like a purchase. This may not be what you're referring to.
Yes, it's anything owned by the man that he gives to his wife to be married to her.
It shouldn't go to her family, it's hers to keep, unless she gives by choice.
It's not a purchase in anyway. It's a woman's right in Islam.

Quote5) As for making the marriage announced, does this mean there is no ceremony? It's a simple matter of moving in together, making a few phone calls and telling everyone, nothing else?
No compulsiveness in the type of ceremony for marrying in Islam.
The minimum is slaughtering a sheep, and inviting others to eat which is a sort of announcement, or you can do it over the phone or inviting people to Taco Bell.
This is the legal side in Islam, and different Islamic cultures have their own types of ceremonies.

QuoteDoes this also mean you can get unmarried in the same way?
Divorce in Islam is a whole other story. It's complicated to explain.
It's a 3 strike policy with return possible. It's a decision of the husband.
The woman, if for any reason, whether legitimate or not, wants divorce, she can ask for it, or file a case in court if the man is an unfit husband. The results & the type of divorce differ, as in some cases, she needs to give back the dowry in order for the marriage to be dissolved.
I'm not an expert on this matter, and I really hate family separation as I've seen what that can do to kids, but 'stuff' happens as we all know.

QuoteJust trying to understand.
And it's always a pleasure to answer with what I know.

Hud (11)

humbert

Quote from: aa1234779 on April 11, 2019, 08:43 AM
The role of the guardian is accepting the man to be a husband of his female family member.
Women can be swain by unworthy men as we all know, more likely than men to be by unworthy women. If a man is immorally fit, the guardian is supposed to decline. If the guardian forbids his female relative from marriage or is unfit for any reason, the justice system should take care of that, and the judge become the guardian.

Does this imply that the woman in question is not wise enough to choose a man she's comfortable with? Also, what if the guardian is the one who's wrong and recommends a man who isn't in the woman's best interests? Remember that history is full of "Romeo and Juliet" type stories. Oh, and as you say, women are NOT the only ones who can fall victim to a bad partner. It happened to me. If I were a Muslim I would not have had a guardian to dissuade me.

Yes, it's anything owned by the man that he gives to his wife to be married to her.
It shouldn't go to her family, it's hers to keep, unless she gives by choice. It's not a purchase in anyway. It's a woman's right in Islam.

Let's take a simple example. Suppose you own a car and your wife-to-be has a car too. Does she get both cars? Or are we talking a situation where both cars are jointly owned?

This is the legal side in Islam, and different Islamic cultures have their own types of ceremonies. Divorce in Islam is a whole other story. It's complicated to explain.

I get the idea. There's an important distinction here. As far as I know, all countries, including Muslim/Arab countries, have civil marriage (and divorce) with different laws according to each country. I wasn't referring to that. I meant from a purely religious point of view. You explained that basically you agree to marry and throw a little party, although that's not mandatory (or so I think). The civil marriage is another animal entirely. Here in the USA for a civil marriage you go to some government office and sign a scrap of paper. The ceremony (if desired) is entirely your problem, the civil marriage license doesn't even mention it.