• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Maths & statistics exercises / French and English lessons

Started by scarface, June 16, 2013, 11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Actually I have no offspring. But knowing There are 7 billion people, and seeing what Is going on, Im trying to put things into perspective.
We have seen That humbert and shadow97 were abashed at the difficulty of the previous exercises. We are going to do something easier.

We are launching 2 coins and we are playing heads or tails.
-what is the probability to see 2 heads?
-determine omega (the universe)
-determine card omega (number of possibilities)

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on March 03, 2014, 01:43 PMActually I have no offspring. But knowing There are 7 billion baboons and seeing what Is going on, Im trying to put things into perspective.
We have seen That humbert and shadow97 were abashed at the difficulty of the previous exercices. We are going to do something easier.

We are launching 2 coins and we are playing heads or tails.
-what is the probability to see 2 heads?
-determine omega (the universe)
-determine card omega (number of possibilities)
- 25%? 1/4th
            O             50%           X   1/2   O = heads, X = tails
           /   \                            /   \
25% O      O 25%      25% O     X 25 % 1/4
- 8 possibilities
I don't really understand what you mean by omega, sorry ^^ I hope this is somewhat correct, if so this is what we did last year.
Currently doing my maths homework:
I can write out my excersices. My homework is due tomorrow, soo yup.

1; You have the equation x - 18 = 22.
A: Which number should you add to both the sides to get x free? (I will do my best to translate)
B: Which solution does the equation have?

2; You have the equation x + 13 = 47.
a: Which number should you subtract from both the sides to get x free?
b: Which solution does the equation have?

3; You have the equation 4 * x = 22.
a: With which number should you divide both the sides to get x free?

4; You have the equation x/7 = 15.
a: With which number should you multiply both the sides to get x free?
^Not hard in my opinion, that is basically what you need to get the grade E.

9; Which of the following steps should be executed to solve the equation and in which order?
{A: Add 5 to both sides.}
{B: Subtract 5 from both the sides.}
{C: Multiply both the sides with 5.}
{D: Divide both the sides with 5.}
a:  5x + 5 = 30
b: 5x - 5 = 3
c: x/5 - 5 = 20
d: x + 5/ 5 = 3

I have no issues with these assignments, I think that they are too easy for me.
I just find it annoying that i have already solved all of this, but I need to turn it in now, 3 weeks later because I've worked too far ahead in the maths book. And, ofcourse I have trashed my paper with the solutions  8)

scarface

Omega Is a greek letter usually standing for the universe, or fundamental ensemble.
here Is the correction:
if A Is the event "2 heads", P(A)=1/4
Indeed, there is a 50-50 chance to obtain heads during each coin toss and since the coin tosses are independent, if C is a coin toss with heads, then P(C inter C)=P(C)*P(C)= 1/2*1/2=1/4.
omega={H,T}²={HH,HT,TH,TT}
card omega=4 (I don't know how you found 8 ).

humbert

For Omega you could have typed Alt 234 Ω   or Alt +3A9 Ω   --  Ω Ω Ω    and of course "squared" is alt 253  ²   :) :)

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on March 05, 2014, 12:12 AMOmega Is a greek letter usually standing for the universe, or fundamental ensemble.
here Is the correction:
if A Is the event "2 heads", P(A)=1/4
Indeed, there is a 50-50 chance for each coin toss and since the coin tosses are independent, if C is a coin toss with heads, then P(C inter C)=P(C)*P(C)= 1/2*1/2=1/4.
omega={H,T}^2
card omega=3 (I don't know how You found 8 )
The exercises You have are easy indeed.
I got no idea what I am doing ;D

scarface

QuoteFor Omega you could have typed Alt 234 Ω   or Alt +3A9 Ω   --  Ω Ω Ω    and of course "squared" is alt 253  ²
Under Windows phone, no alt nor ², sorry.
We can note That shadow97 found successfully the first question, though hes probably not learning that at school.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on March 07, 2014, 07:18 PM
Under Windows phone, no alt nor ², sorry.

I've never tested Windows Phone, but if there's no way to insert special characters that's pretty lame. Many Android keyboard programs have a good number of special characters, plus there are Unicode program that allow you to copy and paste them, just like Character Map on Windows.

scarface

A long time ago I remember that humbert told me that he could learn the French language in 6 months. And he's probably right since a lot of words are close in English and French. It's partly due to the fact that England had French kings in the past. I also learnt Spanish and despite the fact that both language have Latin roots, it was quite hard to learn it. For example compare carotte in French, carrot in English and...zanahoria in Spanish.
And some people here should be proud to master English as well as they do. Others still have to improve it though.

Anyway I wanted to show humbert, who is very gifted, that speaking French is not enough. It's an incredibly difficult language if you want to write it - without fault.
So I'm going to give humbert a few easy examples to show him why it's difficult.
For him it will be an easy class.
Let's begin.

Les participes passés utilisés avec l'auxiliaire être s'accordent, alors qu'ils ne s'accordent pas avec l'auxiliaire avoir.
ainsi compare:
-Les babouins ont mangé (pas d'accord)
-Les babouins sont tombés (accord)

Note que contrairement à l'anglais, le pluriel n'a pas d'impact sur la prononciation.
par exemple, babouin - babouins se prononcent de la même façon. Ce n'est pas le cas en anglais: baboon - baboons.
Ce n'est donc pas obligatoire de bien connaître la grammaire pour avoir une prononciation correcte des mots, même si certains pluriels sont liés, entre un article et le nom qui le suit notamment. Par exemple pour "les éléphants", la prononciation correcte implique de dire un "z" entre les 2 mots, puisque "éléphants" commence par une voyelle. Mais il y a des exceptions. Par exemple on dira "des arbres" avec "z" mais pour "des haricots" il n'y a pas de liaison, le h est dit "muet". Beaucoup de personnes ignorent cette règle et le prononcent cependant.

maintenant plus difficile, avec l'accord des verbes pronominaux.
imagine que le sujet "Je" est une femme.
-Je me suis blessée (accord, le verbe s'accorde avec le pronom me, qui représente la femme, placé avant le verbe)
-Je me suis blessé la main (pas d'accord: la femme s'est blessé quoi? la main, qui est objet direct et placée après le verbe).
-C'est à la main que je me suis blessée. (accord: le participe passé blessée est accordé avec la main, nom féminin et placé avant le verbe.

Bien sur il y a des exceptions et certains verbes ne suivent pas la règle.
compare:
elles se sont blessées (accord car le pronom "s' " est objet direct est placée avant le verbe)
elles se sont succédé (pas d'accord car le pronom "se" est un objet indirect: elles ont succédé à elle-même   - forme pas très correcte)

Note que normalement il n'y a pas d'accord avec l'auxiliaire avoir. Mais si le complément est direct et qu'il est placé devant, le participe passé s'accorde...
par exemple:
Ils ont acheté des tee-shirts (pas d'accord).
Ce sont les tee-shirts qu'ils ont achetés (accord)

Plus difficile: quand le verbe pronominal est suivi par un infinitif.
Compare:
-elle s'est laissée mourir. (accord: elle est le sujet)
-elle s'est laissé rejoindre (pas d'accord: elle n'est pas le sujet réel, quelqu'un l'a rejointe)

la règle est la même avec l'auxiliaire avoir:
-c'est la femme que j'ai entendue chanter (entendu est accordé car c'est la femme qui chante)
-ce sont les fruits que j'ai vu cueillir ('vu' n'est pas accordé car les fruits ne font pas l'action)
-ce sont les fruits que j'ai vus tomber ('vu' est accordé car ce sont les fruits qui tombent)

Note que sans verbe à l'infinitif à la fin de la phrase, c'est la règle décrite avant qui fonctionne....
par exemple:
-ce sont les fruits que j'ai vus (il y a accord obligatoire du participe passé 'vu')

iih

Quote from: scarface on April 25, 2014, 10:02 PMA long time ago I remember that humbert told me that he could learn the French language in 6 months. And he's probably right since a lot of words are close in English and French. It's partly due to the fact that England had French kings in the past. I also learnt Spanish and despite the fact that both language have Latin roots, it was quite hard to learn it. For example compare carotte in French, carrot in English and...zanahoria in Spanish.
And some people here should be proud to master English as well as they do. Others still have to improve it though.

Anyway I wanted to show humbert, who is very gifted, that speaking French is not enough. It's an incredibly difficult language if you want to write it - without fault.
So I'm going to give humbert a few easy examples to show him why it's difficult.
For him it will be an easy class.
Let's begin.

Les participes passés utilisés avec l'auxiliaire être s'accordent, alors qu'ils ne s'accordent pas avec l'auxiliaire avoir.
ainsi compare:
-Les babouins ont mangé (pas d'accord)
-Les babouins sont tombés (accord)

Note que contrairement à l'anglais, le pluriel n'a pas d'impact sur la prononciation.
par exemple, babouin - babouins se prononcent de la même façon. Ce n'est pas le cas en anglais: baboon - baboons.
Ce n'est donc pas obligatoire de bien connaître la grammaire pour avoir une prononciation correcte des mots, même si certains pluriels sont liés, entre un article et le nom qui le suit notamment. Par exemple pour "les éléphants", la prononciation correcte implique de dire un "z" entre les 2 mots, puisque "éléphants" commence par une voyelle. Mais il y a des exceptions. Par exemple on dira "des arbres" avec "z" mais pour "des haricots" il n'y a pas de liaison, le h est dit "muet". Beaucoup de personnes ignorent cette règle et le prononcent cependant.

maintenant plus difficile, avec l'accord des verbes pronominaux.
imagine que le sujet "Je" est une femme.
-Je me suis blessée (accord, le verbe s'accorde avec le pronom me, qui représente la femme, placé avant le verbe)
-Je me suis blessé la main (pas d'accord: la femme s'est blessé quoi? la main, qui est objet direct et placée après le verbe).
-C'est à la main que je me suis blessée. (accord: le participe passé blessée est accordé avec la main, nom féminin et placé avant le verbe.

Bien sur il y a des exceptions et certains verbes ne suivent pas la règle.
compare:
elles se sont blessées (accord car le pronom "s' " est objet direct est placée avant le verbe)
elles se sont succédé (pas d'accord car le pronom "se" est un objet indirect: elles ont succédé à elle-même   - forme pas très correcte)

Note que normalement il n'y a pas d'accord avec l'auxiliaire avoir. Mais si le complément est direct et qu'il est placé devant, le participe passé s'accorde...
par exemple:
Ils ont acheté des tee-shirts (pas d'accord).
Ce sont les tee-shirts qu'ils ont achetés (accord)

Plus difficile: quand le verbe pronominal est suivi par un infinitif.
Compare:
-elle s'est laissée mourir. (accord: elle est le sujet)
-elle s'est laissé rejoindre (pas d'accord: elle n'est pas le sujet réel, quelqu'un l'a rejointe)

la règle est la même avec l'auxiliaire avoir:
-c'est la femme que j'ai entendue chanter (entendu est accordé car c'est la femme qui chante)
-ce sont les fruits que j'ai vu cueillir ('vu' n'est pas accordé car les fruits ne font pas l'action)
-ce sont les fruits que j'ai vus tomber ('vu' est accordé car ce sont les fruits qui tombent)

Note que sans verbe à l'infinitif à la fin de la phrase, c'est la règle décrite avant qui fonctionne....
par exemple:
-ce sont les fruits que j'ai vus (il y a accord obligatoire du participe passé 'vu')
this is a good tutorial. for a while i'm just reading and when i'm sure will joined
so i wanted to know also humbert. merci beaucoup
eqso.orari-digital.org:8888 YBØIX

scarface

When I was saying that some should do efforts to speak English, I was also thinking about you iih. Of course you can try to learn French, if you have some questions (des questions intéressantes, c'est évident), you can ask me, but first you should try to do efforts to improve what you write here. Read again some of your posts and you will notice that some are hardly understandable, perhaps even for you ("when i'm sure will joined"=> is it meaning anything?).